A Different Version of "The Lamb"

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

liberavieve

A Different Version of "The Lamb"

Post by liberavieve »

I just listened to Mini Ben's 'The Lamb' in another thread and was a bit surprised to hear an unfamiliar tune. Never having heard Libera's take on the song before, I always assumed that it was more or less a Libera-ified recording of Tavener's setting of the Blake poem, which is often heard at Christmastime— apparently not!

So, just in case any fans of Libera's song might be interested in hearing something a bit different, here's a setting of the same words to a very different melody, performed by the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge:

[youtube][/youtube]

I also didn't know until fairly recently that 'The Tyger,' which stands in contrast to 'The Lamb' in Blake's poetry, has likewise been set (again by Tavener) to music. So, for fun: 'The Tyger,' performed by the Choir of New College, Oxford:

[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Re: A Different Version of "The Lamb"

Post by Murkskis »

liberavieve wrote:I just listened to Mini Ben's 'The Lamb' in another thread and was a bit surprised to hear an unfamiliar tune. Never having heard Libera's take on the song before, I always assumed that it was more or less a Libera-ified recording of Tavener's setting of the Blake poem, which is often heard at Christmastime— apparently not!

So, just in case any fans of Libera's song might be interested in hearing something a bit different, here's a setting of the same words to a very different melody, performed by the Choir of St John's College, Cambridge:
Yes, seemingly even a very different melody!
I would say more a Libera-ified recording :wink:
Thanks for sharing!