Right Now

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

LennesSL
Silver Member

Re: Right Now

Post by LennesSL »

maartendas wrote:Now, about your situation... you made me curious :) I know how you must feel and ofcourse you know Libera has just the song for you in this situation...
Thanks for the link :)..

Haha, sorry that I made you curious :).. I hate the feeling. But also love it. And I always have a thing for someone who is impossible to reach for me. Haha.. Terrible Terrible.. ;)
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Here's my report from last night's three choirs concert. For pictures, search my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maartendas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a wonderful evening, well worth the travel. To hear these three great boy choirs perform together is something special, the last time they did was three years ago...

The opening was great, all three choirs singing a glorious Antiphon by Ralph Vaughan Williams. What a full stage! :)
Then the Cathedral Choir of Haarlem sang pieces by Albert de Klerk, a composer I hadn't yet heard of. There were some lovely floating lines in the closing harmonies. The starts of this choir, when they all start to sing a line, were very strong and impressive, but their cut-offs weren't always all on time. The director Fons Ziekman likes the big strong gestures, I'm not a fan of that in particular but he made the soft floating lines very beautiful. I noticed a difference in concentration throughout the choir, on the left, in front of me, were some very focused choristers, and also one treble in particular stood out with a clear and lyrical voice. He didn't seem impressed himself, just doing his job ;) They all looked really sharp in their gorgeous, splendid red robes.

Next up was a difficult piece for all the men from the three choirs, Great Lord of Lords by Charles Wood. They got some enthusiastic applause and they worked really hard but to me it sounded like too much of a blur sometimes with regard to cut-offs and pronunciation etc. The piece has some very intricate polyphony and I suspect that it had needed more rehearsing - after all, these singers normally don't sing in the same choir together. So, details aside, this was a great achievement, as the overall harmony sounded good.

What came next though, blew my mind: the Roden Boys Choir. A truly exceptional choir. I learned from the booklet that they were chosen by the Federation of European Choirs to be the cultural ambassador of the EU in the Netherlands :) They are a choir styled to the Anglican tradition and indeed I thought I was in the UK, just like in March :) The absolute highlight of the evening for me was William Henry Harris' Strengthen ye the weak hands. All the singers looked constantly at their director Rintje te Wies who directed with such control and grace. The choir really took me away. Very controlled. 'Compact'. Their discipline, their diction - absolute class. I became an instant fan :)

Intermission and time to get drinks and merchandise - although alas only Haarlem brought some merchandise which had to be unpacked at that very instant and wasn't there anymore after the concert. A real pity and a missed opportunity which disappointed and puzzled me. There were some other minor things that were missing in terms of organisation and presentation, like in the booklet there were no names of the organist and the soloists (which would sing in the final song of the evening).

The first song after the intermission was sung by all boy choristers from all three choirs under the direction of Rintje te Wies (so ofcourse I was already happy to see him take up this task ;)). They produced a wonderful sound in C.V. Stanford's Song of Peace. Libera should totally take up this piece btw! ;) It tells of the vision of the prophet Isaiah of a world of peace, where the lion sleeps with the lamb and a little child shall lead them. It truly sounded that way.

After this peaceful introduction of the second half of the concert came a very diverse and different part from the Chorals of the Great Church of Breda, with director Henri de Graauw. A big fellow with big movements and very theatrical but a lot of fun to watch. First up were two wonderful pieces by Rachmaninov which doused me in warm voices and goosebumps. A great tribute to the low voices which this choir possesses. One of the boy altos at one point caught my eye as he was singing along with such expression and movement of his face and head that he started to crack me up. He was so into it and really showing it, sort of mirroring the director in his theatrical gestures etc. He definitely meant to be seen that way, I even thought he started singing extra that way after I had noticed him and started smiling in his direction. He reminded me of Kavana and Ben P but then combined with some extra on top. I only thought, this boy shouldn't get too much in his solo role as he is 'only' a member of a larger choir. Next up were two capricious pieces by a French composer, a Kyrie which developed into sounding anything like a Kyrie (which is a prayer for mercy) and an interesting and very beautiful Sanctus. French composers are not always my style, I've found, but I liked the diversity that this Breda choir added to the programme.

Almost time for the finale. Henri de Graauw directed all three choirs in Gustav Holst's Turn Back O Man, the tune of which reminded me of Abide With Me. A catchy, flowing melody. But the real fireworks were in the final piece, once again under the watchful eye of my hero of the evening, Rintje te Wies of Roden Boys Choir. The piece was Charles Hubert Parry's Hear My Words, Ye People, a long anthem which showcased once again all the splendour of these choirs. Roden Boys Choir was situated on the left, in front of me, and Haarlem and Breda Choirs formed one other choir together, on the right. The piece was alternately divided between the two, and coming together at the end. There was also a tenor solo and a treble solo, both from Roden Boys Choir. The tenor had a very light and supple voice, and he did very well - he actually looked more nervous than the young treble soloist! :) I had the feeling the treble soloist was a little off tune sometimes but he had a nice flowing voice (he reminded me a little bit of Liam O'Kane). Sadly these were the only solos of the night, which I thought was a missed opportunity especially for the other choirs who didn't get to shine with a solo. But shine they all did in the glorious Amen finale.

All in all a great experience. The amount of time and preparation that went into this I can only imagine, and it was great to see these choirs not only performing well on their own but also daring to come together. The choirs from Roden and Haarlem got to stay with hosting families in Breda for the weekend so for everyone involved this must have been a worthwhile experience. Many thanks to Pueri Cantores Netherlands for the organisation. Here's to the next concert! ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Bedankt voor het verslag =Thank You for the report. I have one time seen the Roden Boys Choir, and even spoke to some of the boys asked them also or they know Libera ? One of the soloist said:" yes they had cd,s at home from them and he like their perfection"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

You're welcome, worshipper28 and nice to hear that :D
I talked to an elderly lady in the audience who has been singing for many years in the church we were in. She told me she liked to watch Songs of Praise and that she liked the voice of Aled Jones. I asked her if she knew Libera and when I mentioned the white robes, she remembered ;)
The choristers were all very approachable. During the intermission they were all scattered through the rest of the crowd. I think many people in the audience were families or friends or maybe the hosting families of the choristers from Haarlem and Roden. It was nice and strange, one minute they're on stage making your jaw drop, the next they're just drinking apple juice next to you ;)
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

That was a wonderful concert review, Maartendas! Makes me wish I could have been there to hear it with you. And your pictures are great as well. Thank you for posting. :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

It was very nice to read! Thank you, Maartendas!
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Thanks for the write up maardendas. I'm now looking though some of the choirs you saw. Unfortunately I can't read Dutch so I'm not making much progress :lol: I'm finding some on youtube though. The Roden Boys Choir has a nice sound.

That's awesome that the choristers would mingle with the crowd. It'd be nice to talk to them.

One reason I already like this forum, is because it's introducing me to a lot of other types of music, and other choirs.

As for what I'm doing right now, (other than looking at choirs on youtube) is resting my body, because I wrecked it again today. I was outside on the boat all day and got sunburned, and fell hard again backward barefooting and managed to hit my elbow on my knee and bruised both of them. Now I have 2 hurt arms, and a limp :lol: People at work are going to wonder what happened to me.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Oh man! Sorry to hear all that happend! Hope your arms and leg get back to feeling better soon!

Right now I'm taking a short break from stuying and finishing up projects. With 2 and a half weeks of school left it's crazy busy! Exams begin Thursday (except for math) and all major projects are due Wednesday, including my informational video and virtural tour of the Kennedy Center, which I have just now started.. :oops: Luckly I can include Libera in it, as they sang Love and Mercy there! Guess I should hit the hay pretty soon, as I have my algebra end of course exam tomorrow, followed by more studying and my last choir concert.. I can't wait for all this to be over! :P
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

You'll be glad when it's all done Rebecca but don't forget to enjoy it as well :) Making a virtual tour sounds pretty neat. Oh btw I love that expression "hit the hay" :D Country girl, eh? ;)
That last choir concert, is that the one where you will be singing Song of Life?

Malibu: ouch! I feel sorry for you. I hope you heal pretty soon. One good thing to do while you recover is indeed look for choirs on Youtube - I remember being very sick last year (sore throat etc) and all I could do was sit in front of my computer and watch Libera clips - that was also the time I became more active here... and that simply never stopped ;)
Yes, the Roden Boys Choir are great, I posted a very good example of their sound in the Misc > Other Choirs and/or Singers thread.
I didn't know what to say to them though - as a matter of fact it was mostly the Haarlem choristers which I saw mingle with the crowd. I would have liked to thank the Roden director though. Lucky for me, when you order a CD from their webshop you *have* to fill out a short message as well (it's a field marked 'obligatory', strangely enough) so I wrote how much I enjoyed their concert :)
If you need any help with the Dutch, hook me up.
--edit: i just saw the Roden Boys Choir has an English page as well: http://www.roderjongenskoor.nl/Koren-/English.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

Right now I am seriously looking into a new job. The part-time home help work that I am doing now is not what I want to do anymore. I've been fed up with it for quite some time but just stuck to it as I wasn't finding anything else more suited to my talents and capabilities, which are mainly writing (journalism). Wish me luck... ! ;)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Sweet! The Roden Boys Choir posted one of my pictures on their website :) I checked to see if they had written something about the festival and there it was! I wrote them an e-mail asking if they could put my name under it ;)
Last edited by maartendas on Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

maartendas wrote:You'll be glad when it's all done Rebecca but don't forget to enjoy it as well :) Making a virtual tour sounds pretty neat. Oh btw I love that expression "hit the hay" :D Country girl, eh? ;)
That last choir concert, is that the one where you will be singing Song of Life?

Right now I am seriously looking into a new job. The part-time home help work that I am doing now is not what I want to do anymore. I've been fed up with it for quite some time but just stuck to it as I wasn't finding anything else more suited to my talents and capabilities, which are mainly writing (journalism). Wish me luck... ! ;)
You're right! I will make sure to enjoy it :D It is pretty fun, but kinda tricky! Luckly my math exam is over so I have more time to work on it! Oh yes ;D I try to be one, wearing boots and all :lol:
well, it was suposed to be, but she cut all solo's out of the concert because peope were complaining how it wasn't fair.. I'll still have fun though!

Good luck on finding a new job!!
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Just got home from my graduation! I'm now offically a high schooler, I guess :lol: Have school until next Thursday though.. Reviewing for finals now.. and packing for my dad for his trip to Dallas tomorrow!
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Thank you for the well wishes.

Maartendas, I did see your post about the Roden Boys Choir in the other section. I also checked them out a few clips I found on youtube. I still like Libera's sound a little better, but they are quite good. I also saw they had an English section of their website, but unfortunately, not all their pages are in English. Good luck on the job search. Job searching is not fun (for me at least - I plan on sticking where I am for a while).

Rebecca, congrats on graduating. I agree with maartendas though while it's nice for school to be over, definitely make sure to enjoy it. I always tell people to never wish to be older. I wish I could go back to my younger days, but I try to make the most of where I'm at now. I tell people I'm still a kid, but with a grown-up job :D
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Congratulations Rebecca! One wonders where you find the time to be good at school when at the same time you're spending so many time here ;) as well as singing and being active in so many other parts. You make me feel old :D
Colin
Silver Member

Post by Colin »

@Rebecca: Congrats!

A few week ago I decided to be a (don't know if this the right word in English) godfater (sort of sponsorship) of a child in an
SOS Children's village. So today I received the envelope with the information about the child I'm supporting.
It's a girl of almost 3 years old in Nepal (I find it surprising that it's sooooo far away from Europe :) ). Her name is Sachetana.
On the picture they've send with it, she really looks adorable.
I'm really happy that I can sponsor this child and give it a lot of opportunities for education and growing up.
When she's old enough I hope to correspond now and then. Maybe I'll even visit Nepal someday, but that plan has to wait at least
a few years :lol: