Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

William

Billy Elliot

Post by William »

I hope I did this right, trying to start a new topic, that is. If it's in the wrong place I apologize. But anyway, has anyone seen "Billy Elliot-The Musical" in London? It's coming to NY this September and I'm arranging a bus tour from Rochester with my aunt (who coordinates tour groups of this sort) to hopefully go see it in October. It's a great story with some wonderful music. The film version touched me deeply. I highly recommend seeing the movie if you have not seen it.
Warning-if you have not heard the music yet just a heads up that the 'f' word is used in a couple of the songs (the CD does have a label warning of explicit lyrics). But the CD is well worth the investment if you are truly interested, especially the songs "Electricity", "The Letter", and "Expressing Yourself."
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

Uses the 'f' word a COUPLE times? Solidarity is two groups of men insulting each other back and forth (amongst other things), so it's used more than a couple times. :)

Anyways, I plan on going down to the city (NYC) to see it once it starts on Broadway. I have the soundtrack though I've never seen the musical. The movie is amazing (and once again has some usage of choice words). If the bus tour happens, give me a shout. I'm in Syracuse.
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

William,

Yes, I've seen BETM in London. I flew over in 2005 to see the show and I sat next to a guy who had seen it 10 times. I thought that this guy must be some kind of kook, nutcase, etc. After all, who sees the same show over and over again, right? Well, after the show knocked my socks off, I had to see it again . . and again. Now fast forward to 2008. I've now flown 6 times to London and seen the show 34 times. :roll: I guess I'm that nutcase, now!

Anyway, go see it when it comes to NY - you'll love it. It will make you laugh, cry and cheer.

Regards,
Rich
William

Post by William »

Well, the movie made me cry a little. The original trip I was trying to coordinate fell through but I'm hoping to go with another tour group in early December. So I'm hoping!
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

There is a fan forum dedicated to "Billy Elliot, the Musical" and we have about 1400 members. The show is playing in London and Sydney (and soon Broadway) so the forum is divided into sections for each of the venues.

If interested, stop by and take a look - http://www.billyelliotthemusical.me.uk/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich
William

Post by William »

Thanks. I'll check it out.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Actually, because of the language, I was never allowed to watch the movie. With my Dad being a Reverend, we weren't allowed to bring anything that went against the Bible into our house, except for a few things like James Bond and stuff.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Just wanted to say that I've just returned from NYC after having attended the first 5 preview shows of 'Billy Elliot the Musical' and all I can say is WOW! They haven't changed too much from the London show, which is good. I can live with the changes they made (mostly). They have some tweaking to do, but that's what previews are for. Overall, I think the show is going to do quite well on Broadway. If you get to NYC and have some time, go see it!

Rich
Mathmaniac
Silver Member

Post by Mathmaniac »

I should be getting my tickets soon enough, probably for Thanksgiving weekend. Great to hear they're doing the West End Musical justice on Broadway!
"The true joy of life is the journey. Don't become obsessed with calculating the steps to achieve goals. Instead, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less, and enjoy the presence of the people around you."
- Dr. John Grieco, 1941-2004
William

Post by William »

I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be traveling to NYC in early December to catch the show. I've seen many plays but never on Broadway. In fact I've never even been to NYC (although I only live about 6 hours away). I'm sure it will be awesome.
Quinnsome
Silver Member

Post by Quinnsome »

I saw the three boys who will share the role of the title character on the Today Show... WOW! They are incredible!

This is a performance by the boys...:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4#27278310

...and an interview with them:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 4#27279964
William

Post by William »

Thanks. I took a look and the dancing was incredible! They do need to work on the singing some though. It was rather weak, I thought. I would rather have had just one of the boys singing rather than all 3. 'Electricity' didn't seem to lend itself to a trio.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

I agree William, it's definitely not a trio song and would have been better if only one sang it. Not only would it sound better, but in the show, the boys sing it with so much feeling and emotion because the song is a reply when Billy is asked, "What does it feel like when you're dancing?"

Rich
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I'm kind of curious, so I went to check out the videos. The dance's really amazing, and they are really talented! Good coordination as well.
William

Post by William »

Yes. I can't wait to see it live in December!