boys changing voices

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Silver Member

boys changing voices

Post by Sue »

I opening this new thread now cause I've seen that this is a returning topic in our postings. The boys from Libera don't speak often about their voice breaks - only Joshua was allowed to - but we fans speak often about it. Cause it affects often on which boy will be up next or will work more in the background, affects on the solos, affects on the interviews and all.
From a popular big german boys choir I know that the youngest boy whose voice began to break was a 10 year old (same age as Freddy, Cassius & perhaps Matthew Jansen now) and the oldest boy whose voice broke was a 16 or 17 year old. But this are the boys who work very, very hard to keep their treble on as long as possible (like Thomas Cully did).
So, in this thread is room & space for our worries about our mutants (Mutanten = the german term for boys changing voices in choirs) / voice breaking candidates in Libera.
Feel free to write in your findings bout the current Libera voice breaking candidates, worries, regrets or praise what a boy had provided before voice change or whatever you want.
I'll make a start in my next posting.
Last edited by Sue on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

So, our last mutants were Benedict Philipp, Joshua Madine and a bit earlier Liam Connery, Jonathan Barrington & Thomas Cully. Sam Legett, too, but I guess this was longer ago.
By the way, for Liam & Ben I had made tribute videos, uploaded in my youtube channel.

Now I've heard that James Threadgills voice broke started & probably this is the reason for why his solo in "deep peace" is gone.
libera36 wrote:I saw a comment on a YouTube video from a schoolmate of James' that said his voice was changing, so that could be the cause of his temporary absence, though it is very possible he hasn't actually left. I remember Jonathan's voice changed right before the U.S. tour in 2008, which would have been not long after his 13th birthday...
paopao

Post by paopao »

Is "mutant" really the word for it? I'd never heard that, haha Laughing
LOL what's with this thread's title??? :lol:
oh come on :) they're just going through some hormonal changes (and it's completely normal), not genetically altered or something.. and i bet they wouldn't like to be called 'mutants' :wink:
anyways, Alex would be the closest candidate for voice changing, so far (i think).. so i hope he'll get some memorable solos before that happens.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Sue. I'm not sure that the term 'mutant' is used in Britain to refer to a boys voice change. We use the term breaking but I think that term is not really used in the US (can anybody confirm that).

Calling the boys mutants might not be well received :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

i have heard it referred to as voice "mutation", as the word mutate means to change. simply a small problem with translation, that is all!!!
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Tiarnan Branson was about 12 when his voice broke and oddly he has the deepest voice in the choir. Never heard a boys voice so deep.

It seems you cant really prodect when a boys may change. You assume Alex or Jacob but it could be a younger boy.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

So, for the guys who had problems with the term, I removed it from thread title, changed the first posting a bit (extra for you :-p ) and explained the german term. Please don't be surprised if I take the word Mutant for choirboys are changing voices. In Germany, its really the technical term for this boys and has nothing to do with cuss words, abusive language or teasing boys.
dani wrote:Tiarnan Branson was about 12 when his voice broke and oddly he has the deepest voice in the choir. Never heard a boys voice so deep.
Pity that we heard never his treble voice. Little Tiarnan, I guess at this time his voice broke was already.
Image (source: SoP Special, Libera i.th.o.w.)
Nicki wrote:Daniel will be turning 15 soon, and it's cool that he's still able to hit those high notes like he can.

Yes, I remember that I was very excited 'bout Daniels clear & wonderful high voice when I heard his first solo. Didn't understand why he got his first solo so late, maybe because he came so late in the Libera concert choir.
Nicki wrote:Not sure how much longer that will last, though.
I hope up to Epsom-concert, but presumably this doesn't work :(
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

plumpuff6 wrote:...that is a lot of lower voices. Plus Daniel. Has his voice broken yet?
Yorkie wrote:I don't have any info on Daniel, nor have I heard any rumours. It is perfectly possible that his voice has yet to change but obviously it would be at the later end of the normal scale. I have to say I'm hoping for our sakes that it hasn't and we get another chance to hear him sing (but for Daniel's sake I rather hope it has - being a 15 year old with an unbroken voice could be tough).
Nicki wrote:Back in December when James and Daniel were on the radio, Daniel's voice sounded a lot deeper to me. It's probably significantly changed by now
I've the interview link here
[youtube][/youtube]

I don't dare to say it, but Daniels voice there sounds definitely deeper :oops: I fear that he only can hit the high notes with the special vocal technique furthermore.
kay
Silver Member

Voice

Post by kay »

Apologies if this come in twice, pressed the wrong key.

A voice that will be sorely missed is Tom Cully. He used his voice like an instrument. You can hear him soaring, wordlessly, on so many numbers. Now Robert has to 'find' another, and Tom will eb hard to replace.
Sue
Silver Member

Re: Voice

Post by Sue »

kay wrote:Apologies if this come in twice, pressed the wrong key.

A voice that will be sorely missed is Tom Cully. He used his voice like an instrument. You can hear him soaring, wordlessly, on so many numbers. Now Robert has to 'find' another, and Tom will eb hard to replace.
You're right. I've heard Thomas comes from a very good London school of art. I need over a year to accept that his treble is lost forever.. :(
printen

Post by printen »

A boys voice does not "break". Its changing. Just as the title of this topic suggest.

It always annoyed me when people talks about "breaking of voices". Its the voice that change. Some in early stage, some later. Some in a bass, some in a high tenor. Buts it does not break into those tones.

As far as I know, libera boys never talks about "breaking of voices". always about changing of voices.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

printen wrote:A boys voice does not "break". Its changing. Just as the title of this topic suggest.

It always annoyed me when people talks about "breaking of voices". Its the voice that change. Some in early stage, some later. Some in a bass, some in a high tenor. Buts it does not break into those tones.

As far as I know, libera boys never talks about "breaking of voices". always about changing of voices.
We know this printen. But unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that their trebles after voice change are far away forever :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

printen wrote:A boys voice does not "break". Its changing. Just as the title of this topic suggest.

Every boy I know (in the UK) calls it breaking printen. I guess different countries use different terms but that is what we call it in Britain. It is not something to be afraid of or mourn - it is a good thing.
Last edited by Yorkie on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kay
Silver Member

voices

Post by kay »

yes we say breaking in the uk, i was 11 when mine 'changed' youngish for then (most of my friends were later).
It's isnt, as was rightly said anything to mourn, it happens, has do since the beginng of time and will continue to do so.
I think we, admirers, supporters, fans, call us what you will, of Libera are so lucky with some of the boys who's voices take longer to break, we can close our eyes and listen to wonderful songs that much longer.
Sue
Silver Member

Re: boys changing voices

Post by Sue »

Time for this thread to bring it up to date.

So, last voice breakers / voice changes were Benedict Ph., Liam C., Joshua M., earlier Samuel Leggett (think he left at the beginning of 2011), Jonathan B. I think Tiarnan, too & Alexander L.

I remember in May & August 2010 Alexander L. had several solos at concerts (Agnus Dei, Time, Going Home), what's with autumn 2010? I guess he had no more solos in autumn 2010...and no more in 2011. I think, he sang the lower parts in Sanctissima-video, too. Also, we can assume his voice is broken now.