Beyond

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Moppi
Silver Member

Re: Beyond

Post by Moppi »

I just got wind of this new material like a week or so ago... so there's no actual new songs? Just past songs done via new choir members? :?:
"In the gathering there is strength for all who founder,
renewal for all who languish, love for all who sing."
- Song of All, canto 642
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

Moppi wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 am">5 years ago</span> I just got wind of this new material like a week or so ago... so there's no actual new songs? Just past songs done via new choir members? :?:
"In Paradisum" is new, as well as one other song we only have a Japanese name for. The rest do mostly have re-arranging done, to varying degrees.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 am">5 years ago</span>
james010101 wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:44 pm">5 years ago</span>
maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 pm">5 years ago</span>[...]Do we have another guess at the soloist of the Caccini Ave Maria?
That low note, and the raspy-ness of the voice.... reminds me of alex gula actually
That was not my guess before (my guess before was Rocco) but I can see it being Alex now a bit.
What throws me off is that Alex sings in the lower treble range while that song demands a few rather high notes. But then I hear that same raspyness and I am confused.... :|
For me it is the opposite of you Surpinto, my very first thought was to Alex G, but now the more I listen the long sample on itunes and previous versions of Caccini's, the more I doubt...

My candidate is Leo.

And what about Dominik ?

the answer will be on the 'Beyond' booklet.
I almost regret that the CD is released a few days before the concert in Westminster.
It is such a joyful surprise to have the surprise of a new soloist in live, during a concert, but such events are too rare :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 pm">5 years ago</span> Do we have another guess at the soloist of the Caccini Ave Maria? :)
Trying another way: It is striking how strongly the singer darkens the vowel "a" into the direction of "o". The question is if he did it only for this very song or if that is a characteristic of his way of singing, and in case of the latter, perhaps someone remembers one of the current soloists pronouncing "a" like that when singing?

I was thinking of Leo, but am not sure in any way. I can imagine him singing it when I see him before my eyes, but am not sure about the voice.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I may have mentioned this before, but the only way it could be Alex Gula on the Caccini is if the solo has been modified to omit the highest notes (high C, B-flat, etc.). The highest note in the existing samples is F-sharp below high C, and even that note might be a stretch for him. I'm not familiar enough with Leo's voice to make a determination, but his history as a soloist would suggest to me that it's not him. I still think it could be Alex Montoro, recorded close to the time of the "Hope" recordings. There's no question that the soloist sounds like a treble at peak vocal maturity.
james010101

Post by james010101 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm">5 years ago</span> the answer will be on the 'Beyond' booklet.
I almost regret that the CD is released a few days before the concert in Westminster.
It is such a joyful surprise to have the surprise of a new soloist in live, during a concert, but such events are too rare :)
You could always avoid reading the booklet before the concert to avoid spoilers :D Anyways, has Alex Gula ever been able to sing the soprano 1 register? (i distinctly recall that his voice leans more towards soprano 2, unlike daniel/leo)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm">5 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:59 am">5 years ago</span>
james010101 wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:44 pm">5 years ago</span>
That low note, and the raspy-ness of the voice.... reminds me of alex gula actually
That was not my guess before (my guess before was Rocco) but I can see it being Alex now a bit.
What throws me off is that Alex sings in the lower treble range while that song demands a few rather high notes. But then I hear that same raspyness and I am confused.... :|
For me it is the opposite of you Surpinto, my very first thought was to Alex G, but now the more I listen the long sample on itunes and previous versions of Caccini's, the more I doubt...

My candidate is Leo.

And what about Dominik ?

the answer will be on the 'Beyond' booklet.
I agree. It is just far too difficult to tell. I seem to have a poor track record with such guesses. There have been a few times where I was nearly certain but when I am not my guesses tend to be incorrect. :roll:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow, the detail that goes into this guessing game is amazing :D
Could it be Leo? What I remember is how sky high he can go and deliver those high notes with conviction. So he probably could do this Ave Maria.
It will be so nice to find out who guessed right 8)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm">5 years ago</span> I almost regret that the CD is released a few days before the concert in Westminster.
That sounds like you are presuming that they'll sing it live? I can't believe that they will have two Ave Marias in one concert, and throwing out Robert's Ave Maria so soon, after only 6 concerts, seems unlikely to me as well.

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 am">5 years ago</span> I may have mentioned this before, but the only way it could be Alex Gula on the Caccini is if the solo has been modified to omit the highest notes (high C, B-flat, etc.). The highest note in the existing samples is F-sharp below high C, and even that note might be a stretch for him.
I would also find it strange to take someone as a soloist who is not "at home" in such heights, while there do exist soloists in Libera who effortlessly manage to sing the super high notes. The same reason would go for the case of an adaptation of the melody: Using the original pitch, but lowering the highest parts for the soloist; why should they?

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:32 am">5 years ago</span> I'm not familiar enough with Leo's voice to make a determination, but his history as a soloist would suggest to me that it's not him.
In what way?

At the moment, I don't think anymore that it's Leo. An earlier recording of Alex M. ... hm, comparing the "Beyond" announcement video to Angele Dei I can imagine you may be right, but when I listen to the Amazon snippets (don't have the longer iTunes ones at hand at the moment), I have doubts again that it's him.

Generally spoken, I would highly appreciate if it was Leo or someone else who hasn't yet had a full solo. It would feel very nice to add someone new to the group of soloists! :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

filiarheni wrote:That sounds like you are presuming that they'll sing it live?
It is a general remark. Whatever the soloists are on the CD, if any of these songs is sung at the concert we would already know the soloist even before the song starts on stage, because of reading the name on the booklet since the week before, and this spoils the surprise.
James010101 suggested to just avoid to read the booklet if I wish to save me possible surprises at the concert.
Yeah, true, but who can resist the curiosity during quite a whole week? I can't :lol:
In addition, it would also mean to not read any social media, not read the forum, not talk and not hear from anyone before the concert, and this during 5 long days. It would be impossible for me to resist that :roll:
in_paradisum

Post by in_paradisum »

This comment is not in response to any of the other posts but rather a new question.
We know Rocco is the soloist for In Paradisum, but does anyone know who is harmonising with him at the "Chorus Angelorum" part? It's my favourite part of the song.
"The more I found, the less I understood."
james010101

Post by james010101 »

in_paradisum wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:06 pm">5 years ago</span> This comment is not in response to any of the other posts but rather a new question.
We know Rocco is the soloist for In Paradisum, but does anyone know who is harmonising with him at the "Chorus Angelorum" part? It's my favourite part of the song.
Oliver perhaps?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

It is Oliver W-R.
On concerts he stands a bit behind Rocco, on his left.
in_paradisum

Post by in_paradisum »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 am">5 years ago</span> It is Oliver W-R.
On concerts he stands a bit behind Rocco, on his left.
Thank you!!
"The more I found, the less I understood."
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 am">5 years ago</span> James010101 suggested to just avoid to read the booklet if I wish to save me possible surprises at the concert.
Yeah, true, but who can resist the curiosity during quite a whole week? I can't :lol:
In addition, it would also mean to not read any social media, not read the forum, not talk and not hear from anyone before the concert, and this during 5 long days. It would be impossible for me to resist that :roll:
Yes, that's exactly the feeling that I have before each concert, because I love the surprise what songs will be sung. Of course, the sound check already reveals some pieces and knowing some of the songs in advance prolongs and increases the anticipation. But still, I try to avoid reading the whole programme before the concert - it's fine to read one half and leave the other one apart :wink: -, while it's hardly possible to remain deaf to what is spoken around me by the other fans, expressing their joy about the one or the other song. :shock: :lol:

Well, and for you with regard to the October UK concert I only have that old advice applied to top-secret documents:
Close eyes before reading!
:mrgreen: