Billy Elliot

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Billy Elliot

Post by maartendas »

javerylibe wrote: One question I've always had about the film: in the final scene at the ballet, Billy's brother and father are seated next to a grown-up Michael who pulls something of an 'Oh, sh—" face when he realises who they are. On Michael's other side is a man who is, I think we're meant to believe, his partner or boyfriend. It seemed to me that Michael, in that scene, is wearing a women's wig and make-up, but I'm never quite sure, because it's shot mainly in darkness. I'd wondered if I, knowing that Michael had dressed in women's clothes as a child, just filled those bits in, or if there's a fair consensus that he's dressed as a woman in that last scene. If he is indeed, I find that quite interesting; it would presumably imply that Michael has grown up to become a crossdresser or a transsexual woman, which doesn't jive well with understandings I've seen floating around the 'net and amongst critics that the young Michael is 'just going through a phase.'
I just watched the scene on the dvd and Michael does not look to me like he is dressed as a woman. Some subtle lipstick I think, and a hat, but nothing more.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
javerylibe wrote: One question I've always had about the film: in the final scene at the ballet, Billy's brother and father are seated next to a grown-up Michael who pulls something of an 'Oh, sh—" face when he realises who they are. On Michael's other side is a man who is, I think we're meant to believe, his partner or boyfriend. It seemed to me that Michael, in that scene, is wearing a women's wig and make-up, but I'm never quite sure, because it's shot mainly in darkness. I'd wondered if I, knowing that Michael had dressed in women's clothes as a child, just filled those bits in, or if there's a fair consensus that he's dressed as a woman in that last scene. If he is indeed, I find that quite interesting; it would presumably imply that Michael has grown up to become a crossdresser or a transsexual woman, which doesn't jive well with understandings I've seen floating around the 'net and amongst critics that the young Michael is 'just going through a phase.'
I just watched the scene on the dvd and Michael does not look to me like he is dressed as a woman. Some subtle lipstick I think, and a hat, but nothing more.
A mans hat? No ear rings? Thought he had ear rings but it's a while since I've watched it.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote: I just watched the scene on the dvd and Michael does not look to me like he is dressed as a woman. Some subtle lipstick I think, and a hat, but nothing more.
A mans hat? No ear rings? Thought he had ear rings but it's a while since I've watched it.
Looks most like a woman's hat. No ear rings. Still, he looks more like an extravagant/artistic guy than a man dressed to look as a woman.

Incidentally, I'm just watching bits of the dvd now and Michael doesn't look that young to me... He has a maturity over him that I forgot about.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I was at last nights performance of Billy Elliot!

What a show.

Ryan Collinson played Billy, he performance was both excellent and unique. he added many extra bits to his performance to enhance the enjoyment of the audience. He done a street version of electricity which was amazingly technical and acrobatic with several flips that he performed to perfection. He was a great little star and I do hope he will be performing on the next show in a couple of weeks.

I think i'm pretty much hooked on BETM and I can't wait for the next show :)

Comparing to Toronto Billy, I think London Billy wins by miles, although both are performed very well. I think London Billy is much closer to home and more believable than Toronto Billy. I think in Canada they are trying to be bigger better and "LOUDER" (Sorry mods for the shout) apart from being uncomfortable louder, it was just an ok show in comparison to London.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote:I was at last nights performance of Billy Elliot!

What a show.

Ryan Collinson played Billy, he performance was both excellent and unique. he added many extra bits to his performance to enhance the enjoyment of the audience. He done a street version of electricity which was amazingly technical and acrobatic with several flips that he performed to perfection. He was a great little star and I do hope he will be performing on the next show in a couple of weeks.

I think i'm pretty much hooked on BETM and I can't wait for the next show :)

Comparing to Toronto Billy, I think London Billy wins by miles, although both are performed very well. I think London Billy is much closer to home and more believable than Toronto Billy. I think in Canada they are trying to be bigger better and "LOUDER" (Sorry mods for the shout) apart from being uncomfortable louder, it was just an ok show in comparison to London.
Wait until you see the real Tony (the character of Billy's brother in the show; understudy performed last night) if you want LOUD (he's from Leeds)!

Those row B seats are a bit of a steal for £19.50 if you ask me. Yes, you lose some perspective and you can't see the reflection of the lights on the stage but that's more than made up for by the fact that you feel a part of the performance. I like Ryan's version of Electricity very much but some prefer the ballet version. I have to say though that I've never seen a better Angry Dance. Made me knackered just watching it.
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:I have to say though that I've never seen a better Angry Dance. Made me knackered just watching it.
Yes angry dance was performed with so much emotion. I agree, was also knackered just watching it :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I am interested to hear this because I remember Ryan being mostly all smiles and beaming with joy. The night I saw Billy Elliot, Scott performed before the interval so I didn't get to see Ryan do the Angry Dance. I am glad to hear and also intrigued that he could put the emotion in the Angry Dance as well. Was it mostly because of his dancing skills or also because of the acting he put into it? I remember Scott finished his Angry Dance with a fierce 'throwaway' gesture during the applause, like he needed to release some last bit of bad energy, getting something off his chest, with an angry expression on his face.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:I am interested to hear this because I remember Ryan being mostly all smiles and beaming with joy. The night I saw Billy Elliot, Scott performed before the interval so I didn't get to see Ryan do the Angry Dance. I am glad to hear and also intrigued that he could put the emotion in the Angry Dance as well. Was it mostly because of his dancing skills or also because of the acting he put into it? I remember Scott finished his Angry Dance with a fierce 'throwaway' gesture during the applause, like he needed to release some last bit of bad energy, getting something off his chest, with an angry expression on his face.
I saw Scott in the Thursday matinee and he plays Billy as a quieter, shier boy than Ryan. Scott has lovely ballet technique and he wants to be a professional ballet dancer. Ryan's Angry Dance is very high tempo. The moves are the same and the gesture at the end where he picks himself up of the floor, dusts of his trackie bottoms and glares at the audience is the same (some Billy's have shouted " what the f*** are you looking at?" to the audience but they seem to have stopped that), but Ryan seems to do it at a much higher speed than the other Billy's. But what really makes the difference is that Ryan is highly vocal throughout the piece with shouts, screams and grunts of frustration.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Ryan's Angry Dance is very high tempo. The moves are the same and the gesture at the end where he picks himself up of the floor, dusts of his trackie bottoms and glares at the audience is the same (some Billy's have shouted " what the f*** are you looking at?" to the audience but they seem to have stopped that), but Ryan seems to do it at a much higher speed than the other Billy's. But what really makes the difference is that Ryan is highly vocal throughout the piece with shouts, screams and grunts of frustration.
Great to hear that. The Angry Dance is one of the most special moments in the show I think, when you consider the age of the performer. To have those feelings of anger represented in the show, while also focusing on technique - they have to be careful not to lose themselves in the portrayed emotion but to make it believable - not to mention the physical energy it takes. I think it's really great that there is an Angry Dance in Billy Elliot, I hope playing with this side of the character helps all Billys deal with their own moments of anger. They're all boys growing up, after all.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Interview with Billy star Ryan Collinson

[youtube][/youtube]

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Don't know which accent is worse Geordie or Scouse :lol:

One of the things Ryan does in his routine is the hands free cartwheel - in fact he does two of them :shock:

The Billy in the photo is Rhys whose place was taken by Ryan in the show. However, it seems Rhys is trying out for a new career as singer:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Yorkie wrote:One of the things Ryan does in his routine is the hands free cartwheel - in fact he does two of them :shock:
I can do that :lol:

Looks like I won't make it out to Dallas to see Billy before they leave, but hopefully next time I go to London I'll see it! (instead of Wicked... :roll: )
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Rebecca (: wrote:
Yorkie wrote:One of the things Ryan does in his routine is the hands free cartwheel - in fact he does two of them :shock:

Looks like I won't make it out to Dallas to see Billy before they leave, but hopefully next time I go to London I'll see it! (instead of Wicked... :roll: )
And when will you next get to London? Not sure I believe you about the flip thing - get your sister to record you doing it and then upload it. I tried it but my stomach kept hitting the ground :lol:

Mercy & Love
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Yorkie wrote:

And when will you next get to London? Not sure I believe you about the flip thing - get your sister to record you doing it and then upload it. I tried it but my stomach kept hitting the ground :lol:
Not completly sure, but possibly with in the next year or so, since my grandparents really wanna take me there all of a sudden.. :)
Haha, well, I was a competetive cheerleader and gymnast for 10 years.. I might not look like it, but it's the truth! :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Not completly sure, but possibly with in the next year or so, since my grandparents really wanna take me there all of a sudden.. :)
Haha, well, I was a competetive cheerleader and gymnast for 10 years.. I might not look like it, but it's the truth! :lol:
Where do you find the time???? Ok, ok I believe you - perhaps you should audition for BETM.

Mercy & Love