Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Murkskis

Re: Other Choirs and/or Singers that you like

Post by Murkskis »

maartendas wrote:
javerylibe wrote: Once, in Royal David's City (Choir of Westminster Cathedral) As an aside: exceptional opening solo by Mark Kennedy.
Ofcourse with a recommendation like that, I just have to temporarily break my usual rule of avoiding Christmas music outside the season - and immediately I am thrown in the spirit of the feast - all snow, dark, candlelight, pine scent, warm and bright churches, and stables, stables, stables... Ah I can see why you indulge ...but my liturgical heart says no! I'll remember this (exactly!) 5 months from now though ;)
Once in Royal David's City is also one of my favourite Christmas carols :wink:
Join the fan club of snow and candlelight, Maarten :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Murkskis wrote: Join the fan club of snow and candlelight, Maarten :D
No...! Must... Resist... Must... Wait... Till... December... aahhhh :lol: :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

maartendas wrote:
No...! Must... Resist... Must... Wait... Till... December... aahhhh :lol: :wink:
Oh, I do not insist to do it now :lol: Just an expression as I wanted to share my passion of these things :D
One more - have you tried a walk on Christmas Night (or very close to that time)- basically when it's dark and all the lights can be seen? 8) In a company of your family members or friends? It's a very nice activity!
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Murkskis wrote:One more - have you tried a walk on Christmas Night (or very close to that time)- basically when it's dark and all the lights can be seen? 8) In a company of your family members or friends? It's a very nice activity!
That was one of my favourite things to do when I needed a break from exam revision and paper-writing: go out for a walk in cold and dark; pop in some earbuds and listen to carols; try to catch an Evensong somewhere. I did it alone, but it suited me just fine.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Murkskis wrote:
maartendas wrote:
Oh, I do not insist to do it now :lol: Just an expression as I wanted to share my passion of these things :D
One more - have you tried a walk on Christmas Night (or very close to that time)- basically when it's dark and all the lights can be seen? 8) In a company of your family members or friends? It's a very nice activity!
Not as an activity on its own but I can just picture the scene from many similar walks and bike rides - I also remember as a kid in school in the morning around Christmas time the lights would be turned down and we would have candles on our tables burning. I loved that. And walking to the Christmas Eve service in church is great.
But to bring this back on topic, here's an interesting video of a gorgeous piece by Arvo Pärt. The person who made the video gave a special twist to it that sort of has to do with your question - well, if you took a walk while the snow was melting ;)

[youtube][/youtube]
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

maartendas wrote:I also remember as a kid in school in the morning around Christmas time the lights would be turned down and we would have candles on our tables burning. I loved that.
Lovely indeed! :D
I'm sorry for going into off-topic a bit, but I treat it like a part of a culture in general.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:
Nonsense. This would be a perfect time to replay those videos of Aled's 2009 Christmas Carol Special.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote: Nonsense. This would be a perfect time to replay those videos of Aled's 2009 Christmas Carol Special.
Not for me, I'm a liturgy geek :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote: Nonsense. This would be a perfect time to replay those videos of Aled's 2009 Christmas Carol Special.
Not for me, I'm a liturgy geek :D
You can't enjoy carols unless they're integrated into a church service?
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote:
maartendas wrote: Not for me, I'm a liturgy geek :D
No, what I mean is, I stick to the church calendar.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

maartendas wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:
maartendas wrote: Not for me, I'm a liturgy geek :D
No, what I mean is, I stick to the church calendar.
Oh, sure, that's what Ebenezer Scrooge said, and we all know what happened to him. Are you prepared to get hainted?

We're currently in the blank period, so why not get creative?

Anyway the outside temperature topped 100 F here today so it's time to gather round under the AC and get frosty.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote:
maartendas wrote: No, what I mean is, I stick to the church calendar.
Oh, sure, that's what Ebenezer Scrooge said, and we all know what happened to him. Are you prepared to get hainted?

We're currently in the blank period, so why not get creative?

Anyway the outside temperature topped 100 F here today so it's time to gather round under the AC and get frosty.
AC? (edit: oh wait, that probably means airco..? ;)) Anyway, as I said, I'm a liturgy geek, so I don't do creative :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
can you wait until December to listen to the Free download of Joy to the World? :lol: :shock:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:
can you wait until December to listen to the Free download of Joy to the World? :lol: :shock:
Obviously I couldn't :lol:
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

This is partially to recommend a few pieces/choirs and partially to ask for a bit of help:

The Twelve (Walton/Auden) Choir of Wells Cathedral

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say Choir of Manchester Cathedral

Locus Iste (Bruckner) Choir of Salisbury Cathedral

Be Still for the Presence of the Lord Kieran White, Wells Treble

I uploaded these to Youtube earlier this week, having had to fuss quite a lot with transferring music, no disk drive, etc— a long story involving three counties and an infuriating repair experience. A commenter recently pointed out, though, that one of the other tracks I uploaded was very quiet, and after I unhooked my headphones, I realised that he was right and that, at least on my computer's built-in speakers, all of my music is very, very soft... some almost to the point of inaudibility.

Can you hear them well enough? I re-tweaked my audio in/output settings, and things sound louder on my computer now, but I have the sinking feeling that everything already uploaded to Youtube has the quiet audio signature of my pre-tweak settings.

:cry: