Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs and/or Singers that you like

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
javerylibe wrote:The first clip is 'Balulalow'
I'll see your girls and raise you a Burrowes. The boys do it in roughs too!
All I can say is... amazing video!! :D

--edit: Oh wow... I just did a search for Connor Burrowes on Boysoloist.com just to remind myself of his career and recordings so far... because I have a CD of Boys Air Choir where he sings in... but I knew he had done a lot more... turns out he is also a soloist on a CD of St. Paul's Cathedral in London that I bought last time I was there (simply called The Music of St. Paul's Cathedral, and a bargain for only 6 pounds)... I just hadn't got round yet to checking out all the details and names as such... But I was actually listening to it today and thinking to myself, "those soloists on I waited for the Lord are really good"... and turns out one of them is young master Burrowes here... ;) :D

That CD, by the way, also includes this magnificent rendition of my favourite song at the moment:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by maartendas on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: This time you read my mind as that is exactly what I did last time - except ofcourse it had to be a special service that evening ;) with five priests being ordained, and also because of that, Mass took a lot longer than usual... Had to slip out of the church before the final blessing (but after communion) in order to get inside Victoria Theatre in time... ;) But it was a really impressive and moving experience. They were Anglican priests apparently, being ordained into the Roman Catholic church. There were dozens of other priests present who all at one moment laid their hands on the heads of the candidates in silence. The choir sang a Mass setting by Mozart but I was particularly moved by the song they sang as an intro to the Gospel reading, Confitemini Domino (don't know the composer). Along with the priests and acolytes moving up the altar with candles and the Bible it was a very special moment.
Actually I now remember you saying that :oops: Only off putting thing is that they send nuns round with a collection box thing and I find it impossible to refuse a nun money.

The Anglican priests have defected to Rome because they object to the ordination of women and gay Bishops in the CofE. Sadly I'm not sure how long the Anglican church will exist as a quality organisation the way it's going; I just hope we can save a few of the remaining choirs from the rot.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
All I can say is... amazing video!! :D

--edit: Oh wow... I just did a search for Connor Burrowes on Boysoloist.com just to remind myself of his career and recordings so far... because I have a CD of Boys Air Choir where he sings in... but I knew he had done a lot more... turns out he is also a soloist on a CD of St. Paul's Cathedral in London that I bought last time I was there (simply called The Music of St. Paul's Cathedral, and a bargain for only 6 pounds)... I just hadn't got round yet to checking out all the details and names as such... But I was actually listening to it today and thinking to myself, "those soloists on I waited for the Lord are really good"... and turns out one of them is young master Burrowes here... ;) :D

That CD, by the way, also includes this magnificent rendition of my favourite song at the moment:
]
I think my clip was Connor's younger brother Edward - I think there was a third Burrowes brother chorister as well. If you like Connor you will probably like a contemporary of his Anthony Wey

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote:
Ah, of course! I'd nearly forgotten that boys and girls must always be in contention!

Don't even get me started on the question of gay and female bishops. :roll:
Yorkie wrote:If you like Connor you will probably like a contemporary of his Anthony Wey.
Anthony Way features very heavily on The Choirboy's Christmas a very, very good Christmas album from St Paul's. The combination of the choir—which, at St Paul's, is quite large and therefore perfect, in my mind, for belting out carols—and orchestra make it absolutely one of my favourite and most-played Christmas albums. The 'Once in Royal David's City' can't quite compete with the others in my collection thanks to a nit-picky little annoyance near the beginning, but their renditions of 'O Come, All Ye Faithful', 'Joy to the World' and 'Hark, the Herald Angels Sing' might be the definitive recordings for me.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by javerylibe on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Ah, of course! I'd nearly forgotten that boys and girls must always be in contention!

Don't even get me started on the question of gay and female bishops. :roll:
Oh, and I laid my plan with with such great care. The gay or female Bishops are fine, it's the gay female ones you need to watch out for.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:
Yorkie wrote:If you like Connor you will probably like a contemporary of his Anthony Wey.
Anthony Way features very heavily on The Choirboy's Christmas a very, very good Christmas album from St Paul's.
Mea culpa, Anthony Way it is. I must be getting mixed up with that WSK lad.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Only off putting thing is that they send nuns round with a collection box thing and I find it impossible to refuse a nun money.
:lol: Laughed out loud at that ;)
Yorkie wrote: I think my clip was Connor's younger brother Edward - I think there was a third Burrowes brother chorister as well. If you like Connor you will probably like a contemporary of his Anthony Wey
Oh yes there were Burrowes brothers, I forgot ;)
Anthony Way - I had heard of him before and yes his voice is one I really like :) Thanks for reminding me of him. He has a very nice golden 'furnishing' on his voice, soft and shining, very delicate and smooth. Great, just great...

[youtube][/youtube]

On Balulalow - I really like Jeremy Unwin's voice on this version of Westminster Cathedral (at 2:58):

[youtube][/youtube]

I also like this recording for the fact that the choir doesn't sound 'polished' but really like a bunch of children ;) I also have a rendition of Tewkesbury Abbey Choir with one of my favourite all-time treble soloists Andrew Swait but their choir sound is really polished, and for some reason that doesn't seem to work with Britten songs.
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

maartendas wrote:On Balulalow - I really like Jeremy Unwin's voice on this version of Westminster Cathedral...
That recording, which I believe has come up in this thread before, is my favourite recording of Britten's Ceremony of Carols, no questions asked. It won me over after I'd earlier heard some other choirs on the same work. A lot of Britten's material doesn't do much for me, but that WCC Ceremony of Carols is one huge exception. I might upload the 'This Little Babe' from that disk, now that we're talking about it.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:
I have a CD of Boys Air Choir where he sings in... but I knew he had done a lot more... turns out he is also a soloist on a CD of St. Paul's Cathedral in London that I bought last time I was there (simply called The Music of St. Paul's Cathedral, and a bargain for only 6 pounds)... I just hadn't got round yet to checking out all the details and names as such... But I was actually listening to it today and thinking to myself, "those soloists on I waited for the Lord are really good"... and turns out one of them is young master Burrowes here... ;) :D
I dug out my copy of that St Paul's CD last night Maarten as I couldn't sleep in the 26 degree heat of my bedroom and I'd forgotten how good it actually is. Some cracking singing and some great organ playing too.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I was browsing Treblechoir99's channel on YouTube and came across this rendition of a 500 year old English Renaissance piece:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie, seriously, our minds have been crazily aligned lately... Just today I came across that same video of Christ Church Cathedral, as I had found a CD of Christ Church Cathedral Choir in the library, of Masses and Motets by Orlande de Lassus, and wanted to see if any of their recordings were on YT... :D I am not a fan of that period, I have found, but this choir does a great job in making polyphony sound intelligible instead of like a clutter...
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:I was browsing Treblechoir99's channel on YouTube and came across this rendition of a 500 year old English Renaissance piece:
And it sounds very, very good despite the decent age :)
Funny thinġ - I also visited Treblechoir's channel today. And I did a very simple click there- ''most viewed''. It was a pleasure to see 2 beautiful Libera's songs appearing on the first 2 places: Ave Maria and Air. :D
And the third song on the top was St Paul Cathedral Choir - Abide with me. A new discovery for me.. Better later than never, don't you agree? :wink:

Here it is- just love it! The organ is such a great part of this particular song! :D
[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Murkskis wrote: The organ is such a great part of this particular song! :D
And the organ of St. Paul's is one of the greatest, I love the sounds it makes :)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

maartendas wrote: And the organ of St. Paul's is one of the greatest, I love the sounds it makes :)
I will check this out one day!
Probably sooner than later :wink:
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Maybe you know this Coca Cola commercial spot

[youtube][/youtube].
I found the choir to the spot, it's Young People's Chorus of New York City.
Choir website is http://ypc.org/index.php
here I found another video of this choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6CyPbH ... re=related
2 linked images:
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2571/tocw6hvs_jpg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2571/ggpph8qb_jpg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;