Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs and/or Singers that you like

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie, thank you for the Tavener clips. I recently bought a Tavener disc by St. John's (on budget label Naxos) which I can recommend. Quite an intense sound. Funeral Ikos is a very moving piece. I remember hearing it for the first time and being very moved and also comforted by it. I thought it was nice that the version you posted is from Westminster Cathedral because when I was there last week there were five priests being ordained, and the words of Funeral Ikos are from the funeral mass for priests.

Javerylibe, thanks for your comment on the performance history of the Mendelssohn pieces. You're right, the choral extravaganza was a very pleasant experience. You rarely get to experience a choir quite so relaxed and informal, and the music director constantly having to go and get the sheet music because they were finding out what they were going to sing only after the previous piece was sung! The organist chipped in as well and there was a lot of chatting and laughing. And a diverse programme of favourites. I also thought the concept was very clever, and would suggest it to any choir in need. Actually I might just e-mail the cathedral choir in Utrecht who are raising money for a choir organ (they've been going at that for some years now).
That Tallis experiment sounds like a fantastic idea! Thanks for the video and the information :) (I love the boy's (?) voice at 1:18)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Here's a kid I found out about today. He is 14 years old, and is being called the Dutch Justin Bieber. Although I think any star should become famous on their own merits, I would like this kid to get the same recognition - because he is of Moroccan origin and currently the Moroccan Dutch are under heavy weather in politics and media. So it would be cool to have a young Dutch Moroccan popstar / role model :)
His style of music is not my favourite but this is a fun and catchy song. Rough translation of the refrain: You're totally it for me (Helemaal = totally, completely) :)
What do you think?

[youtube][/youtube]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:What do you think?
Sorry but I think it's, erm, poor. Obviously I'm not the target audience but the song is diabolical and his voice isn't much better. I'm not a big fan of JB but I can't really see any comparison. Epic fail.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Colin
Silver Member

Post by Colin »

Hmmm, Maarten, I don't really like his voice. There is also a lot of computer involved.
We also have the Belgian 'Justin Bieber', Ian Thomas, he sings 'baby' in Dutch, but I don't really like his voice either.
[youtube][/youtube]
I think there's a great kid star coming to be, and that's Ronan Parke 8) !
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hm, I'll still have fun with this song ^^
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

maartendas wrote:Wow, Sue, impressive video! It makes you nervous just to watch them with all those many different parts and yet they pull it off quite wonderfully. Bravo. How was it to hear them live??
O, I have to say on this day the church was occupied up to the last seat & in the church there was 30 degrees celsius. Some visitors had to leave the church cause of circulatory problems. The reason surely was the festival (33. German Evangelical Church Day). In this days there were over 300,000 people on the way in the city. The choir was very good & in the evening I was at their dorm & school to look. I got the chance to speak with some teachers of the choir boys and to inspect the school of the choir. This was very exciting!

@Nikki
Yes, I posted about Gregorian in this thread, some postings earlier :)
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Colin wrote:Hmmm, Maarten, I don't really like his voice. There is also a lot of computer involved.
We also have the Belgian 'Justin Bieber', Ian Thomas, he sings 'baby' in Dutch, but I don't really like his voice either.

I think there's a great kid star coming to be, and that's Ronan Parke 8) !
Oh, no. I had honestly managed to slip by until very recently without ever having heard 'Baby,' and now I'm not only hearing it, but hearing it in new languages? It's too much for me! :lol: Then again, kid pop doesn't really strike my fancy, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I'm not certain yet about Ronan Parke. His performance of the Nina Simone tune was quite good— excellent, even; but I was underwhelmed by both his semifinal and final performances. Perhaps it was the song choice. In terms of kid singers, though, Jack Vidgen, though, on Australia's Got Talent, is really impressing me. He's got a powerful set of lungs, certainly, and he looks like he's having a blast up there. The young man's got soul; good on him!

Just a choral piece from me— Rachmaninoff's gorgeous setting of the Bogoroditse Devo:

[youtube][/youtube]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Listening to Tomás Luis de Victoria's Requiem from Westminster Cathedral Choir. Wonderful, soothes the soul...

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Maarten, I thought that these might interest you— just a few clips of the St Albans Abbey Choir rehearsing Britten's Ceremony of Carols in the cathedral. The first clip is 'Balulalow', and the second is a bit of 'As Dew in Aprille' and an excellent rendition of 'This Little Babe', which might be my favourite piece in the work. The more I look into them, the more impressed I am by the choirs at St Albans. What Barry Rose has influenced, I suppose, let no man sully!

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by javerylibe on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Enjoyed the 'Balulalow' :) It fits so well with the accompanying instruments.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you for those clips, javerylibe. Who is the director? I am surprised they apparently let people in for their practice, unless they're all parents etc? The choir sounds really good but I thought the beginning of This Little Babe was a tad muddled, what with all those lines quickly following eachother - it made me realise how hard it must be to sing! I love Britten but he does not make it easy for his performers ;)

Today I went to the summer concert of the Kampen Boys Choir. I had never heard them - most boy choirs are still new to me - and I wanted to know what they sound like. Kampen is a lovely city in the north of the Netherlands, known for its two theology universities. I have never seen such a big Christian section in a bookstore before! :)

The choir consists of about 13 men and 16 boys. They are modelled entirely at the English male choir tradition, in terms of training, repertoire, outfit, etc. First time in my life I saw boys wearing ruffs in real life! :)
Their director is still pretty young (27) and very enthusiastic. I wonder, because he has limited experience because of his age, how he manages to hold up such a high standard. At some pieces I felt the boys were a little uncertain, not all cut-offs were exact, but on the other hand the director worked really hard and seemed very precise in pointing out details (even mouthing an O and making a circle with his finger around his mouth when they sang the word "Lord" in a closing chord ;)) At times this produced a wonderful glowing overall sound.

They sang some well known pieces and some unknown ones, with some organ pieces in between. One surprise was For the Beauty of the Earth by John Rutter which was sung by 3 soloists! You could tell they were a bit nervous but also excited. As the song progressed, they calmed down and really started enjoying themselves more, because they realised they were doing OK. At the end, two of them smiled really proud smiles, and some people in the audience clapped ;)
The head boy ('leader') of the decani (the part of the choir on the side where the Dean would stand, in a service) stood right in front of me and from the beginning he caught my eye because he sang with such expression and conviction, for instance in Psalm 150 by Stanford and the Evening Service in B flat, also by Stanford.
(btw it's thanks to the informative program booklet that I received at the entrance that I know the terms cantoris, decani and headboy :D)

The first song - To Thee o Lord by Rachmaninoff - was sung in the back of the church, where the quire is located, which gave a really ethereal sound, and the trebles painted some gorgeous lines. Another beautiful piece was William Byrd's Ave verum which was sung by some of the men. The organ piece that I liked the best was an Aria by Bach, Also hat Gott die Welt geliebt, a very simple, charming dance-like tune.

But the absolute highlight for me was kept till the end with Parry's I was glad. The first part of that brought tears to my eyes. I don't think that apart from Libera a choir actually made me nearly cry but these boys and men did. They sang it so powerfully and beautifully. You could tell that they were excited to be doing this as their final number. A feast to watch and hear from the first row. If I ever wonder why I travel so far for an hour of singing, it's moments like this that wipe away all doubt.
To share, here are some pictures I took.

Bovenkerk (or St Nicolas church) where the concert was held

Hinsz organ

Quire ceiling

The 3 soloists singing For the Beauty of the Earth

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Thanks Maarten, you know how to write reviews :D Feels like I was there :wink:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Listening to Tomás Luis de Victoria's Requiem from Westminster Cathedral Choir. Wonderful, soothes the soul...
Just got round to listening to these now Maarten and agree that they are a great choir. You can also get Vespers and a Mass (if your brave) before going across the street to the theatre. Don't get the big crowds like you find at the Abbey or Paul's either. Must be on your list next time your in London + you should try Southwark Cathedral too.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote:The first clip is 'Balulalow'
I'll see your girls and raise you a Burrowes. The boys do it in roughs too!

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote:Listening to Tomás Luis de Victoria's Requiem from Westminster Cathedral Choir. Wonderful, soothes the soul...
Just got round to listening to these now Maarten and agree that they are a great choir. You can also get Vespers and a Mass (if your brave) before going across the street to the theatre. Don't get the big crowds like you find at the Abbey or Paul's either. Must be on your list next time your in London + you should try Southwark Cathedral too.
This time you read my mind as that is exactly what I did last time - except ofcourse it had to be a special service that evening ;) with five priests being ordained, and also because of that, Mass took a lot longer than usual... Had to slip out of the church before the final blessing (but after communion) in order to get inside Victoria Theatre in time... ;) But it was a really impressive and moving experience. They were Anglican priests apparently, being ordained into the Roman Catholic church. There were dozens of other priests present who all at one moment laid their hands on the heads of the candidates in silence. The choir sang a Mass setting by Mozart but I was particularly moved by the song they sang as an intro to the Gospel reading, Confitemini Domino (don't know the composer). Along with the priests and acolytes moving up the altar with candles and the Bible it was a very special moment.