Are you ready to go to the Ireland? (July 2009)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

libera36

Post by libera36 »

I'm guessing that Tom will stop singing in concerts soon, but stay on as help. I don't know about JB, though....
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

tcenrt wrote:It will be interesting to see who will be staying with the group after their voices change. RP might be getting a lot of help....

Ann
Maybe Big Ben, Steven, and Sam will step aside now that there probably almost done with University, if not done already. And go on and do their own things, letting the new ones step up to the plate. Since Callum has already started and Tom is close behind with the stage setup.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

plumpuff6 wrote:
tcenrt wrote:It will be interesting to see who will be staying with the group after their voices change. RP might be getting a lot of help....

Ann
That's true! I wonder how many boys he can keep on whose voices have changed. JB and Tom are singing the low parts now, but if Josh and Liam are soon to follow, and eventually Ed and Mini-Ben, will RP have 6 boys singing tenor/bass? That would be great though. It would probably expand Libera's repertoire and allow them to sing songs they haven't done for a while, such as maybe "Vespera" or "Angelis" and so on.
But from past statements that's not what RP really wants to do, he wants to keep Libera pretty much about the trebles.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

libera36 wrote:I'm guessing that Tom will stop singing in concerts soon, but stay on as help. I don't know about JB, though....

JB will more than likely stay around at least until Henry is a bit older.

FYI, alot of the older boys who seem to be missing from Libera now actually sing in the choir at Saint Philips and help with Evensong. And they also appear every so often with Libera. Remember alot of them were with them on Aled's Christmas special last year.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

You forgot micheal v is also on back row and so is one of the Coles. Adding in Tom Cully and JB thats a big back row. I am assuming Michael H has now left . Too be honest this a treble choir and yes its sad when they leave but it has to happen . Steven finished Uni last year if i remember rightly so guessing Ben did as well as both same age. And im sure steven and ben can not simply be replaced by Tom or Josh as Steven esp does a lot more for Libera than just a dogs body
Urs

Post by Urs »

dani wrote: ...Too be honest this a treble choir and yes its sad when they leave but it has to happen ....

... And im sure steven and ben can not simply be replaced by Tom or Josh as Steven esp does a lot more for Libera than just a dogs body
Yesss - its a treble choir. And I can't imagine that RP wants to change that. Their repertoire is very specific. This is the only treble choir I follow that intensive. I sang myself as chorister. But we - like many other choirs - 'simply' sang the soprano/alto parts of a 'standard oevre'.
We'll see.

Steven has e very important part in Libera. He always plays one of the keyboards and there are compositions of him.
Sam is the magician at the mixing console. I don't expext him to be replaced very soon by a young follower.

I have not seen Big Ben in Dublin. I could assume that Callum did his job that time.
carpe diem
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

TEB wrote: FYI, alot of the older boys who seem to be missing from Libera now actually sing in the choir at Saint Philip's and help with Evensong.
True. During my last trip to London/St. Philip's a few months ago, even Michael H., whom I thought was long gone, sang during Evensong.
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Urs wrote: Steven has e very important part in Libera. He always plays one of the keyboards and there are compositions of him.
Sam is the magician at the mixing console. I don't expext him to be replaced very soon by a young follower.

I have not seen Big Ben in Dublin. I could assume that Callum did his job that time.
I was wondering about that since I did not see him in your video.

I just hope they do find something within Libera for these boys to help out with. That is if they want to.
Steffi_89

Post by Steffi_89 »

Hey everybody,

Did anyone hear Liam sing Ave Maria? If yes, how did it sound?

greeting Steffi
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

dani wrote:You forgot micheal v is also on back row and so is one of the Coles. Adding in Tom Cully and JB thats a big back row. I am assuming Michael H has now left . Too be honest this a treble choir and yes its sad when they leave but it has to happen . Steven finished Uni last year if i remember rightly so guessing Ben did as well as both same age. And im sure steven and ben can not simply be replaced by Tom or Josh as Steven esp does a lot more for Libera than just a dogs body
I didn't see Michael V. and Oliver Cole listed as members that went on their Celtic tour. Perhaps they just sing with St. Phillips now? I also didn't see Thomas Cole or Zack Locket on the list of choristers. Have they also left?
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

Rich wrote:
TEB wrote: FYI, alot of the older boys who seem to be missing from Libera now actually sing in the choir at Saint Philip's and help with Evensong.
True. During my last trip to London/St. Philip's a few months ago, even Michael H., whom I thought was long gone, sang during Evensong.
That's great!
et cantate Domino gloria
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

libera36 wrote:I'm guessing that Tom will stop singing in concerts soon, but stay on as help. I don't know about JB, though....
Just wondering why you think Tom may stop singing in concerts soon. Do you think it's because of his age? (I am not trying to come after you or something, I am merely curious about your speculation). Isn't 15 the age when students take the GCSE in England? I am not familiar with the British school system, but it seems like once the Libera boys get to be about 15-16 they leave because of school or something; besides the fact that the group is for boys 7-16.
et cantate Domino gloria
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Its seems that he, like Callum, has taken on a roll in the "behind the scenes" work... This is all pure speculation, and I don't think he will stop singing in concerts until some of the other boys voices have changed (Josh, Sam L., Liam, Ed.... any of the other boys who are around that age).
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

plumpuff6 wrote:
Just wondering why you think Tom may stop singing in concerts soon. Do you think it's because of his age? (I am not trying to come after you or something, I am merely curious about your speculation). Isn't 15 the age when students take the GCSE in England? I am not familiar with the British school system, but it seems like once the Libera boys get to be about 15-16 they leave because of school or something; besides the fact that the group is for boys 7-16.
Callum kept singing with the group in concert until this year, and he just turned 17 in June. But Michael H., left Libera and started singing with the adult men's choir at around 15. Maybe they have a choice after their voice has changed. Also, during the changes, the voice can be a little unpredictable and some boys may have to stop singing for a little while.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Yes, good point Ann. Whether he keeps singing with the group or just does behind the scenes work in the future, I'm glad it seems like he is going to be around for awhile longer!