Queen Elizabeth Hall vs. National concert hall

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Choirfan
Silver Member

Queen Elizabeth Hall vs. National concert hall

Post by Choirfan »

Hi everyone,

First off I am new here. I was a member on another Libera fan site for a time but find this place that bit better :)

I have been a fan of Libera since i first heard their stuff in 2003. I have their albums Libera, Luminosa, Free, Visions and New Dawn.. I also have the Lieden DVD and am going to get the Aled Jones Christmas DVD which features them a lot.

I am also a fan of the Choir of New College Oxford and have their album 'Agnus Dei'. This is also a beautifully produced sound.

In any case I have been to see Libera twice live. The first time was last year at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. While overall i enjoyed the concert, I was quite disappointed with the sound levels in the hall. It just did not carry very well and I was hoping someone would turn up the volume, but this never happened. On the plus side, I was sitting next to Kavanagh's parents (purely by chance, I would not have known only they told me at the interval). They were really nice and seemed proud as punch as they should have been. The meet and greet after was great as I was able to get some of the album sleeve covers autographed. However Josh had a nose bleed so i did not get his autograph :(

The second concert I saw was in Dublin, which is closer to home for me. I was right near the front this time and so had a great view of proceedings. This time the sound was just great and they blew me away with their vocals. As I was much closer to the action this time, it was easier to see who was singing what. It was wonderful to have the full orchestra accompaniment. I have seen some others here complain that they did not want the orchestra solos, but I have to say they were also very enjoyable. Of course I would have liked some more Libera songs, but overall, we got a two hour show and still got a lot of their repertoire. The new boys in the choir were just great. They all sing with such enthusiasm. I don't know if anybody else noticed after Freddie had done his little speech at the end, he seemed to have some episode after where he got a case of the sniffles and all through 'I am the day' the poor chap was sniffling away, and I felt quite sorry for him.

I was disappointed there was no meet and greet after, as I had expected one. Ah well at least I have met them once before. I hope they don't do away with this feature of their shows altogether. Overall I would have to say i enjoyed the Dublin show more even if we did miss out on a few songs :P

What do other people here think?
"You are not alone"
TEB
Gold Member

Re: Queen Elizabeth Hall vs. National concert hall

Post by TEB »

Choirfan wrote:Hi everyone,

However Josh had a nose bleed so i did not get his autograph :(

Somewhere in my collection of Libera photos, I have a picture of Josh taken during this meet&greet where he was trying to keep the blood from getting on his robe. He was using a white handkerchief which was more or less ruined. It was taken by a friend of mine who attended that concert.
I have yet had the chance to see them. The one time they were in Pennsylvania, they were in Pittsburg and I live on the other end of the state near Harrisburg. If it had been a weekend show, I could have probably driven there but since it was a weeknight show, 4 hours out, a 2 hour show then 4 hours home to go to work the next day was not really an option. Maybe someday they will come to Harrisburg. I do keep suggesting it to them. One never knows.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Choirfan wrote:I don't know if anybody else noticed after Freddie had done his little speech at the end, he seemed to have some episode after where he got a case of the sniffles and all through 'I am the day' the poor chap was sniffling away, and I felt quite sorry for him.
Yes, I reported this on my review on the french forum.
I was also very near of the stage and I have also noticed this funny moment :)

The explaination is very simple : in his last speech, poor Freddie have forgotten to credit Fiona and R.Prizeman.

In his speech, he had thanks the Orchestra and they were applause, then Freddie thanks us the public for coming to see them, and said "Good Night".
At that precise moment, when the clapping were beggining, I have seen in his eyes a panic moment, like a terrible "Oups" !!"

He immediately looked at R. Prizeman, who gave him a sweet smile that was saying (to my interpretation) : "don't worry son, that doesn't matter" :wink:

So poor Freedie went to his place in the row, but on his face it was obvious that he was very very confused and sad...

In Belfast, this thing have had a little change : the greets to Fiona and R.Prizeman were said by Liam, at near half the second part of the concert.
In his final speech, Freedie just annouced the last song (I am the day) and thanks the public for coming :)
Urs

Post by Urs »

Choirfan wrote:The first time was last year at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London. While overall i enjoyed the concert, I was quite disappointed with the sound levels in the hall. It just did not carry very well and I was hoping someone would turn up the volume, but this never happened...

... However Josh had a nose bleed so i did not get his autograph :(
I also had exactly the same feeling during the whole concert in QEH.
At the end I thought that it must have been ok in the rest of the hall but not in the 3rd row, where we have been sitting.

We were lucky that Josh came just before we passed the place he sat down.
We took some pictures an video recording for all who missed him.
On the video you can see that Josh had to sign a stack of album sleeve covers of people that missed him. His face showed his excitement.
carpe diem
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

"I also had exactly the same feeling during the whole concert in QEH.
At the end I thought that it must have been ok in the rest of the hall but not in the 3rd row, where we have been sitting."

Well I was a good bit further back than the third row at the QEH. I was actually just near where the sound mixing seemed to be going on with Steven. Someone else i spoke to at the Dublin gig also said he found the QEH volume levels poor.

I also got a pic of Josh at the QEH when he was being attended to by one of the chaperones. However i was not able to stick around long enough for him to join the other boys as i had a train to catch.

Next time! :D
"You are not alone"