New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Post by andmar »

Enjoy a recording from Scala Radio - for those who weren't able to listen directly (and for all others, of course, too :wink: :) ).

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... K06uoiaM7V
Last edited by andmar on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:48 am">2 years ago</span> Enjoy the recording from the Scala Radio - for those who weren't able to listen directly.

I did enjoy it. Thanks for doing this.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, andmar!

Very nice insightful, much too short interview with an inspired Sam Coates who conveyed full commitment for Libera's future. Definitely something we have needed now! :D :D :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you for sharing ! Great interview, and good for Libera that they talked about the SJSS's concerts, hopefully people will buy the remaining tickets. Despise me liking "Total Praise" I feel like other songs might have been a better publicity for this time, though, maybe "Sing for the world" or "Let me make songs. But since they have been broadcasting a song a day, I reckon it was just how things were planned.

I like to hear Sam Coates is taking things in charge, that's how I expected things to go. Great to hear the story of how "Cum Dederit" made its way to the album too, well done Dominik that is exactly what we thought happened... or so :lol:

Very nice to have Sam talking about his time in the choir and how the group forged itself and became something unique. I never thought so much about how the mikes make a huge difference, but... I can't find an other choir where the boys have their own mikes, now that I think of it.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Thank you for sharing this, andmar, I liked it so much! :D

Quite funny to learn about their first experience with a Japanese audience :lol:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:48 am">2 years ago</span> Enjoy a recording from Scala Radio - for those who weren't able to listen directly (and for all others, of course, too :wink: :) ).

Thank you that man - I did hear most of it live but missed the end as one of our Bailiffs called me about a case ☹️
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:52 pm">2 years ago</span> Steven Geraghty and Sam Coates did an exceptional job directing and producing this album. I am sure Mr. Robert Prizeman is watching them proudly from heaven with a smile on his face. Daniel White says at the end of the introduction video: “You are getting an eclectic mix of songs but you can always expect the top notch Libera quality”. Of course, Daniel is right.
Yes he is and your review was wonderful to read. So detailed and with comparative links - I love it! Thank you. :D I did have a particular nuance to bring up though: It's interesting that you say Tadgh sounds more mature than TDL on "Ave Maria". In my own mind I was describing TDL's voice as a more pure tone, whereas Tadhg has a richness and fullness to his voice rather than the pure tone. I think Tadhg's voice communicates a great deal of emotion as he really puts himself into the song. I don't think we disagree here, but I just find how you chose to describe this, in contrast to my own thoughts, interesting and provocative.
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:48 am">2 years ago</span> Enjoy a recording from Scala Radio - for those who weren't able to listen directly (and for all others, of course, too :wink: :) ).

Thank you! Great interview and incredible that Dominik chose the song. I am not aware of any other song Libera has performed which was recorded based on the influence of one of the choristers, but I could very well be wrong. Incredible! Sam did an excellent job at this interview and it was enjoyable to listen to.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 pm">2 years ago</span> Thank you! Great interview and incredible that Dominik chose the song. I am not aware of any other song Libera has performed which was recorded based on the influence of one of the choristers, but I could very well be wrong. Incredible! Sam did an excellent job at this interview and it was enjoyable to listen to.
Well, there was a pretty unique set of circumstances involved: the lockdown, Dominik choosing to pass the time be singing, then choosing to post videos of those songs on YouTube, then the staff seeing them.

However, Sam did mention that they sometimes choose songs based on the talents of superstar soloists when they come along, so similar decisions have probably been made in the past.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:37 pm">2 years ago</span> Despise me liking "Total Praise" I feel like other songs might have been a better publicity for this time, though, maybe "Sing for the world" or "Let me make songs. But since they have been broadcasting a song a day, I reckon it was just how things were planned.
In my opinion no better song of "if" could have been selected to accompany an interview with Libera's new musical director than one called "Total Praise". We suspected and hoped for Sam to take over, now it's true. Libera will go on and it will indeed do so under a "homegrown" leader! What news could have been more beautiful and which other song of the album could have expressed joy, relief and confidence more adequately than Total Praise?! :D

A transcript of the interview btw can be found in the interview thread.
Last edited by filiarheni on Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:05 am">2 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:01 pm">2 years ago</span> Thank you! Great interview and incredible that Dominik chose the song. I am not aware of any other song Libera has performed which was recorded based on the influence of one of the choristers, but I could very well be wrong. Incredible! Sam did an excellent job at this interview and it was enjoyable to listen to.
Well, there was a pretty unique set of circumstances involved: the lockdown, Dominik choosing to pass the time be singing, then choosing to post videos of those songs on YouTube, then the staff seeing them.

However, Sam did mention that they sometimes choose songs based on the talents of superstar soloists when they come along, so similar decisions have probably been made in the past.
True!

But what I meant was that I was not ever aware of a song being chosen in isolation by a chorister to sing, presented to Libera's adult leadership, and then arranged to be performed. Rather, a song being chosen for a chorister, which is what Sam seems to refer to, seems to be the norm. That is, a particular boy has a good sound in a certain range and so Robert or Sam or Steven came up with a song or an arrangement suitable for the voice in question.

In this case it was the chorister taking the creative initiative with the music. That is the unprecedented (to my knowledge) part.
Last edited by Surpinto on Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I think something similar happened with "Danny boy" and Isaac London ? That he sang it by himself and then it became part of the official repertoire ? But I am unsure. It's also a much more common song for a choir to sing.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It was a very good first interview from Sam (thanks for capturing andmar) Interesting revelations into how 'If' came about and past concerts and tours. I think between him and Steven G and those who continue to help out behind the scenes....Libera will be in good hands for the future.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm">2 years ago</span> I think something similar happened with "Danny boy" and Isaac London ? That he sang it by himself and then it became part of the official repertoire ? But I am unsure. It's also a much more common song for a choir to sing.
I don't recall any such story - but it would be interesting if true. :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:53 pm">2 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm">2 years ago</span> I think something similar happened with "Danny boy" and Isaac London ? That he sang it by himself and then it became part of the official repertoire ? But I am unsure. It's also a much more common song for a choir to sing.
This was FDL's wonderful description of Isaac's magical first performance of Danny Boy in Seoul in 2013.

"Another highlight of tonight concert was for sure the "Danny Boy" sung by Isaac.
You have to imagine the deepest and largest possible stage. The boys are set in an big wide arc, we are during the encore, just after "The Moon". The light is just going down for the boys to move for the "Libera" encore, but not tonight.
Tonight we saw a small silhouette quitting the arc and walk forward right to the central microphones, passed it, and walked till the edge of the stage. There was a white light locate right above him illuminating Isaac.

All the others remained in the arc, in the dark, several meters behind.

Total silence in the hall. 2500 persons were staring right to this 10 years old boy standing on the edge of the stage, hands clasped behind his back.
And then Isaac started to sing, by himself. No Robert to guide, no other singers around him, no nothing. Just a little boy in the light in front of a crowd of 2500 persons.
Isaac sung "Danny Boy" a capella, all along the song, no music, no instruments, no chorus from the others.

Everyone in the public was stunned, so surprising, so cute, so moving....
Quickly my neighbour started to cry and I too got my eyes wet.
At the end of the song the public burst into very long yells, clapping, enthusiastic shouts ! :D

What an incredible surprise and dense moment we had tonight, what a luck to have been there to live this."

Reading it now is just like being there all over again - bringing everything back - including the tears.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:27 pm">2 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:53 pm">2 years ago</span>
This was FDL's wonderful description of Isaac's magical first performance of Danny Boy in Seoul in 2013.

"Another highlight of tonight concert was for sure the "Danny Boy" sung by Isaac.
You have to imagine the deepest and largest possible stage. The boys are set in an big wide arc, we are during the encore, just after "The Moon". The light is just going down for the boys to move for the "Libera" encore, but not tonight.
Tonight we saw a small silhouette quitting the arc and walk forward right to the central microphones, passed it, and walked till the edge of the stage. There was a white light locate right above him illuminating Isaac.

All the others remained in the arc, in the dark, several meters behind.

Total silence in the hall. 2500 persons were staring right to this 10 years old boy standing on the edge of the stage, hands clasped behind his back.
And then Isaac started to sing, by himself. No Robert to guide, no other singers around him, no nothing. Just a little boy in the light in front of a crowd of 2500 persons.
Isaac sung "Danny Boy" a cappella, all along the song, no music, no instruments, no chorus from the others.

Everyone in the public was stunned, so surprising, so cute, so moving....
Quickly my neighbour started to cry and I too got my eyes wet.
At the end of the song the public burst into very long yells, clapping, enthusiastic shouts ! :D

What an incredible surprise and dense moment we had tonight, what a luck to have been there to live this."

Reading it now is just like being there all over again - bringing everything back - including the tears.
Thanks John, a wonderful memories for sure.
It was in April 2013. This première of Danny boy was followed by its recording in the Armagh DVD 4 months later.

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm">2 years ago</span> I think something similar happened with "Danny boy" and Isaac London ? That he sang it by himself and then it became part of the official repertoire ?
I am not sure Isaac's Danny Boy performance in Seoul can be compared as Dominik's Cum Dederit for being a singer initiative.

I recall the tour organizer in Seoul to tell us few fans after the Seoul concert, that Isaac was rehearsing the song with Robert during the whole tour (that had 7 concerts). Robert was not pressuring him, it was only Isaac to decide at each of the concerts to have it as special encore or not. Thankfully Isaac felt it good enough to step forward and perform it live in public for the last concert.

But between Robert and Isaac, we have no idea of whom suggested the song at first, and to make it a cappella.