What Religion are you?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

printen

Post by printen »

For this subject there is a song from 1970, that will fit in. I do love the music played in this song, although I am not religious. I put the original lyrics in Dutch and then I translated in to English. Maartendas, if you find that some correction can be made in the translation, please do so. The pics are from "De Grote Kerk" in Dordrecht

Dit is uw orgel Heer, dit is uw kerk
'k Loop zomaar binnen Heer, net van m'n werk
Niet voor de priester Heer, of 't antiek
Ik kom alleen maar Heer, voor de muziek

Is het bezwaarlijk Heer, dat ik hier zit
Maakt 't wat uit oh Heer, dat ik niet bid
'k Ben niet hervormd of zo, niet katholiek
Ik kom alleen maar hier voor de muziek

Ik kom hier vaker Heer, haast elke week
Nooit bij een zondagsdienst, nooit voor de preek
Als je alleen bent Heer, zonder publiek
Nou dan geniet je meer van de muziek

Ik had 'n rotdag Heer, 't lukte niet best
'k Werd door collega's Heer, ook nog gepest
't Komt door 't orgel Heer, door uw trompet
Ik kwam haast ongemerkt tot een gebed...

Translate:
This is your organ, Lord, This is your church,
Just passing by, Lord, just from my work,
Not for the priest, Lord, or the antique,
I just come here for the music

Do you mind, Lord, That I sit here,
Do you object, Lord, That I not pray,
I am not Protestant, nor Catholic,
I just come here for the music.

I come here often, Lord, nearly every week,
Never for the Sundays service, never for the sermon,
If you alone, Lord, without a audience,
Then you enjoy more of the music,

I had a bad day Lord, It did not got well,
At my work I was bullyed,
Its your organ Lord, and your trumpet,
I came nearly unnoticed to a prayer.
Bob

Song of LIBERA

Post by Bob »

Religious or not, what should they sing, if not hymns? From home and country? Of love, lust and passion? I believe that LIBERA has taken a good selection with the songs. The room-filling sound fits very well in the Church.
you need your whole life to stay young
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Do you mind, Lord, That I sit here,
Do you object, Lord, That I not pray,
I am not Protestant, nor Catholic,
I just come here for the music.
"The most powerful sound in music is silence..."
Bob

Post by Bob »

heee???
where's the problem???

I love the music of LIBERA too, and I know it sounds good in a concert - hall, but much better in a church. I've heard both versions, in London St.George and in Epsom. The differences are enormous.
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Bob wrote:heee???
where's the problem???

I love the music of LIBERA too, and I know it sounds good in a concert - hall, but much better in a church. I've heard both versions, in London St.George and in Epsom. The differences are enormous.
Interesting! How big is the Chapel at St. George's compared to the Playhouse in Epsom? I'm very curious as to why you preferred the sound of one venue over the other........Where were you seated?? And what kinds of materials make up each venue??? LOL...Sorry I'm just intrigued.....
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi, the Church St.George is in the centre of London, it's more a cathedral than a Chapel. It fits for more than 800 visitors. Epsom was only a hall for 450 visitors.

If you are listening a LIBERA concert in a Church it sounds great. Because you find natural acoustics. Hall and echo is cerated by the architecture. The light show and the sound makes creeps.

Quite different in Epsom. The sound came from the speaker but it didn't fill the hole room. It was not a real concert hall but a rebuilt old cinema. Not suitable for the qualities of LIBERA.

My Seat was Nr 11 in the Box upstairs. I had a wunderful view to the stage and the choreography but the sound was disappointing. The Boys did their very best, but what a pity ...

I hope you'll visit LIBERA in a church concert, it sounds much better.
Really!

Bob
symphonica7
Gold Member

Post by symphonica7 »

Ahh.......I see.......I can only imagine what Libera would sound like in a real cathedral.....
choiretto

Post by choiretto »

Bob wrote:Hi, the Church St.George is in the centre of London, it's more a cathedral than a Chapel. It fits for more than 800 visitors.

If you are listening a LIBERA concert in a Church it sounds great. Because you find natural acoustics. Hall and echo is cerated by the architecture. The light show and the sound makes creeps.
Hello!
Thank you very much for your nice description there, 'cause now, I'm even more excited to hear Libera in St. Michael's Cathedral (Toronto, ON) in just 11 days from now!!!!
And... you know... St. Michael's Cathedral is fit for a 1000, so...
your comment about the sound difference, depending on the size of the building (pardon me), venue, stirred up my excitement even more!
I know it will be simply AMAZING!!!!

And to answer the actual question of this thread, I'm Penticostal....
But really... I don't mind any religion, as long as it believes in Jesus Christ and the Lord.
Otherwise, I PERSONALLY (not to offend anyone), prefer non-believing rather than "other god worshiping".
But again, this is just me! I don't mean to offend anyone. But if I did, I am greatly sorry....
And I think Libera music is open for everyone, because the words they sing, DO involve the Name of God. I mean... no "special" religion ONLY is allowed to hear Libera's hymns; we all have the same share of hearing it, so.... It is my belief that Libera's music is out there to maybe... "call out" some very important life lessons, and "digg out" (pardon me) some deep feelings (now, I don't mean human passion for each other!), one's soul was so despirately looking for, for many, many years now.
I don't know if this all even makes any sence, but no one HAS to agree with me. It is just my personal opinion....

Deep Peace to you all!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Dear Choiretto

Religion is a science of the mind. It is always good if it helps people. Some people believe in Jesus, others believe in Buddha, and others have a living example. Atheists do not exist. The main thing is: do not despair, when life becomes difficult. Faith in God and remain peaceful.

The effect of the sound of LIBERA is not in function of the size of the church. An architect plans a building. He knows the size of the hall. He knows the material. He calculates the acoustics. Whether it is a church or concert hall. The noise sounds longer if the church is larger. Is it better now, if the church is bigger? The sound engineer of LIBERA has problems with six seconds reverb and echo.

I think this is a topic for another thread. Sorry, english is not my native language. If you want to discuss further, please receive me into the other thread.

Thank you for your help. I am happy. It is very inspiring.

Sunny Sunday

Bob
choiretto

Post by choiretto »

Bob wrote:The effect of the sound of LIBERA is not in function of the size of the church. An architect plans a building. He knows the size of the hall. He knows the material. He calculates the acoustics. Whether it is a church or concert hall. The noise sounds longer if the church is larger. Is it better now, if the church is bigger? The sound engineer of LIBERA has problems with six seconds reverb and echo.
Okay. That makes sence. Thank you!