What Religion are you?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Rebecca

What Religion are you?

Post by Rebecca »

Hey everyone, i'm just curious to know what everyone's religion is.
Sorry if it's a personal question.

Also, are the Libera boys Anglican?

Thanks, Bec :)
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Don't think this is the right section of the blog to put this thread. Anyway, I'm Roman Catholic. How about you?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm an Episcopalian, which is the American branch of the Anglican Communion.

In the past it's been said that some of the boys in Libera are Anglican, some come from families which belong to other churches and some are not religious. I've never encountered any attempt to list the denominational affiliation of the boys of Libera, and I imagine it would be frowned upon to attempt to obtain such information. The Anglican Church would welcome anyone to a service and would offer communion (i.e, mass) to any baptised christian from a liturgical church.
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

How is this not the right place? :\ lol.
anywho i'm Anglican (Church of England)
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Grow up as Roman Katholic but now worshipping at an Full Gospel church singing Hillsong songs
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Just thought of this thread as a "Misc" type, not "General Chat". But no biggie, I did answer the question. :)
printen

Post by printen »

I respect everyones relegion, but I think that Libera has nothing to do with religion.

I am not religious, but I like the music of Libera.

In fact, I am an atheist, dont like any religion, because its my believe that religion causes in the past, but also in the present, war, hatred en superstition.

The fact that in the most religions of the world, they fighting among themselfs bitterly, proves my point.

So, I never thought of Libera as a religious choir, but a choir that produce fine music.

As I said, I respect everyones believes, but please dont mix religion with Libera.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Well, it was formed at St. Phillip's Church ( C of E ), where Robert Prizeman has been choir director since he was 18 years old. The choir was known as "St. Phillip's Boy's Choir" before it was renamed "Libera". The majority of it's songs have always been religious themed. It's roots in Anglicanism are pretty much undeniable.
Moppi
Silver Member

Post by Moppi »

I have recently become more of an atheist.

But I enjoy music that's on the vein of religious as long as their messages aren't too pushy... and well as long as it is extremely melodic.
"In the gathering there is strength for all who founder,
renewal for all who languish, love for all who sing."
- Song of All, canto 642
libera36

Post by libera36 »

I consider myself "undecided". :wink: Because I do not practice organized religion, people tell me quite frequently that I am agnostic or atheist, but I don't think that I have reached the point in my life where I should limit my beliefs and stop questioning those topics that I am unsure about. As a young person, I feel that I need to live a bit more to truly decide what I believe.

That being said, for me, music is quite spiritual. I love hymns and ecclesiastical music, though they often have no relevance to my beliefs, because I feel truly peaceful when I listen to them. When I listen to Libera especially, and many other singers/choirs, I feel at peace with the world and at peace with myself, which is what I believe is what religion is truly about.
kay
Silver Member

Religion

Post by kay »

I was brought up Weslyan Methodist, went to a C of E primary school (only one in my village) and married C of E. A strange mix, then again so am I, I guess. I believe God is all around us everyday.
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Sometimes I believe that there is a 'higher control' or 'power'. But not such thing like the bible describes or the Buddhism. Archaeologists & historians have already detected that Jesus was a normal workman out of a poor class of population. He has to work very hard & very much to keep alive. He couldn't have time to be such a prophet or a miracle healer like the bible says :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

printen wrote:I respect everyones relegion, but I think that Libera has nothing to do with religion.

I am not religious, but I like the music of Libera.

In fact, I am an atheist, dont like any religion, because its my believe that religion causes in the past, but also in the present, war, hatred en superstition.

The fact that in the most religions of the world, they fighting among themselfs bitterly, proves my point.

So, I never thought of Libera as a religious choir, but a choir that produce fine music.

As I said, I respect everyones believes, but please dont mix religion with Libera.
You do know that they come from an actual church choir? They keep the two separate but the church background is there for everyone to see - not to preach but to build on a tradition. In fact, the actual church choir still exists and it's where many of the Libera members sing in on Sunday services.

I agree, religion is often the cause of conflict rather than of peace. And ofcourse you are right that Libera has nothing to do with that. But then again, neither has religion. It's like a knife - made to slice bread and feed other people, but used to kill people too.

I'm a Roman Catholic by the way.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Sue wrote: Archaeologists & historians have already detected that Jesus was a normal workman out of a poor class of population. He has to work very hard & very much to keep alive. He couldn't have time to be such a prophet or a miracle healer like the bible says :D
So you're saying that Peter and Paul just picked the name of some random working stiff and forged the religion around his name? Does that make any sense?
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I agree, religion is often the cause of conflict rather than of peace. And ofcourse you are right that Libera has nothing to do with that. But then again, neither has religion. It's like a knife - made to slice bread and feed other people, but used to kill people too.

I'm a Roman Catholic by the way.
In my elder years I've come to the conclusion that any plowshare can be beaten into a sword.