UK concert serie announced! - Autumn 2010

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Murkskis wrote:Really unlucky :( , live performance is always special and unique 8)
Edit. I have an impression that London is rather large city :wink: I mean you will find some cultural events at that time :D
True, but it's a bit like turning up in Arundel for the Libera concert and finding that they've cancelled but Susan Boyle is going to perform instead. Just not the same when you've been looking forward to it for months.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy the trip though.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Nicki wrote:Well...add me to the list of attendees in London. I seriously can't believe I just booked a flight to London....it's so unlike me. Even before the concerts were announced, I was contemplating going over there at the end of this year or beginning of next year, but now seems like a better time because of these concerts. I'm sitting here thinking, "WHAT have I done?!" but I know the nervousness will subside and be replaced with excitement soon, lol.
It will be ''a party all the time'' :lol: :lol:
When I heard the first ''live notes'' of Libera in Arundel I couldn't believe I was sitting there ! 8)
Choirfan
Silver Member

Coming over for concert

Post by Choirfan »

I am late getting in on this, which is unlike me as i had been checking the libera site fairly regularly for updates on an autumn concert but guess had figured they wouldnt be having one this late in the year. Glad to see i am wrong!

I have been to two libera concerts in the QEH in London and in the NCH in Dublin last year. So i really want to see them in a cathedral setting. I am going to come over from Ireland, probably on my own even though the last two concerts i had company. But anyway i am kinda wondering which one or two to attend.

I mean, would it be feasable to attend the Bristol concert and then drive to Chester (this is assuming i would drive over on the ferry) I dont know how many hours apart the two towns are. If i fly over i would probably just attend one concert as it would prob be too expensive trying to travel between the two on public transport.

The shame about the london concert is that the premium tickets are already gone and i am not too keen on going if i would not have a great view (as i had in Dublin, i was in the second row) I dont know much about this place Beverly, if i go to the november concert i would only attend the one.

Anybody got any advice or local knowledge especially regarding the October dates??
"You are not alone"
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Hi Choirfan - probably the Chester concert if your flying. I'm not sure if there is a direct train from M'cr airport to Chester, but you can easily make a transfer to Piccadily train station in the city centre and then onto Chester on the arriva line.

If you were foot passenger on the ferry, then you could get a direct train to Chester from Holyhead. If your driving then all suggestions are null and void, as you can go wherever you want too ;) Although those prices for taking your car on the Holyhead-Dublin ferry crossing are quite pricey.
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Hey thanks Jimmy

Yeah had a look at the dublin holyhead route and quickly ruled out taking the car as its way too pricey.

Was looking at taking in the Bristol AND Chester concerts but to be honest, with flights, 4 days accomodation, train return, tickets etc i would be looking at over 600 euro and that is a lot in my book. So i might just settle on the one show for now.

You mentioned the Chester one as being the best bet, but others here in the thread have mentioned Bristol, urgh its just so hard trying to make my mind up :roll:
"You are not alone"
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Choirfan wrote:You mentioned the Chester one as being the best bet, but others here in the thread have mentioned Bristol, urgh its just so hard trying to make my mind up :roll:
If Bristol wasn't so close to Chester I might have gone to Bristol aswell, but I can't get the time off work. I was intrigued to see how a modern building used for worship (much like those Libera performed at in the US this summer) compared to a traditional landmark cathedral built centuries ago. I've heard Libera in concert hall setting and cathedral/church and the religious setting always wins hands down. Edinburgh last year for example was the best so far (for me) in terms of accoustics.

That said, I think the epsom venue looks very intimate and cosy, and could be a surprise in terms of the sound you hear on the night.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Great news Nicki, see you in London.

Choirfan hope you make the trip - I'm sure that where ever you end up it will be a great show. Like Jimmy I'll be at Chester because I couldn't manage the time off work. A lot of people think that the Bristol venue will offer a very intimate setting, but it looks a bit bland to me. Still, the accoustics of these modern venues are usually very good so it could well be a winner.

I think your choice depends on where it is easy for you to get to. Flying to Manchester and taking the train should be easy but if you can get direct flights to Bristol (and at a reasonable cost - when I looked at flights from my local airport to Brisol it was £200 each way and that was with a months notice).

You can get from Manchester airport to Chester in about an hour and a half (with a change at Crewe and the waiting time for the connection) looks like about £15 return fare. Try the National Rail Enquiries website:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Beverley is a lovely little town (as are Bristol and Chester). You can get there by train from Manchester airport (you would need to change at Hull and catch the Scarborough train) and probably takes about two and a half hours.

Driving to Bristol, Chester & Beverley is certainly possible but the it's just a question of is a flight and train cheaper than ferry and petrol? Lets us know which one you aim for and we can look out for you so you don't feel all alone :D

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

O happy Monday :lol: Today I received the ticket for the London concert on 19th Nov :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Murkskis wrote:O happy Monday :lol: Today I received the ticket for the London concert on 19th Nov :D
Great news :)

I will see you there :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:
Murkskis wrote:O happy Monday :lol: Today I received the ticket for the London concert on 19th Nov :D

Hope to see you both there. The good news is that dani has agreed to buy the drinks :D

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:

Hope to see you both there. The good news is that dani has agreed to buy the drinks :D
Yep, looking forward to see you there again 8)
If dani buys the first round I will do the second :wink: (if Yorkie will allow me to :lol: )
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:

I had better see you there as you have my ticket :wink:
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
dani wrote:

Hmm, I think Yorkie mentioned smth about auction :lol: Ah, for charity reasons and so on :wink:

(joking :lol: )
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Yorkie,

Thanks for the advice.

I have now settled on the Chester concert on the 29th. I have just booked a premium ticket as i would like a view like i had at the Dublin show last year. I have opted to pick the tickets up at the box office in case i forget to pack them.

The whole trying to do the Bristol AND the chester concert was just working out too expensive. I have managed to get a return flight from Cork to Manchester for 100euro return, not bad ah! :lol: I will take the train from the airport to Chester and have booked a B and B there for two nights (Thursday and Friday)

Last night was a headache wondering which concert to attend and how best and cheaply to get there, but now i have got it all done, I am really excited to be going.

Would be great to hook up with you or others on the night just to say hello so i do not look like a stalker being on my own!

Thanks again to you and Jimmy for the advice, hopefully it will be a great show with *cough* no sound issues
"You are not alone"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Murkskis wrote:
Hmm, I think Yorkie mentioned smth about auction :lol: Ah, for charity reasons and so on :wink:

(joking :lol: ) [/quote]

LoL

Its Yorkie so would not surprise me in the slighest :lol: :D