St Philip's, the Vicar and the future........

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

Yorkie wrote:Well, I hope the shows were good :D .
Yes, they were! :D
Yorkie wrote: I almost went to the service (Patrick and the other fans from the French forum tried hard to persuade me) but it just didn't feel right for me, not being religious and all.
I understand. I'm not the most religious person in the world. My interest in religion is more along the lines of the historical perspective, rather than the spiritual. However, I've always felt comfortable at St Philips. In fact, the second page of the church bulletin said something along these lines:
. . . . .we welcome all to St Philips - believers and non-believers, Christian and non-Christian . . . . :wink:
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

St Philips should sign up for this http://www.classicfm.co.uk/music/music-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ot-talent/

Trouble is they have already sold CD's under their parish name, so I'm not sure if they would qualify.

Shame because surely they are hook, line and sinker 'Britain's favourite choir!'

Well on this forum they are ;)
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

It looks as the interregnum is over :D

On the homepage of St Philip's you can see the following message:

Vicar Designate
We are very pleased to announce that Father Younis Francis has been appointed as Priest in Charge, Vicar Designate of St Philip's. Details of when Fr Younis will be licensed to begin his Ministry at St Philip's will be announced as soon as the formalities are complete. We are looking forward to welcoming Fr Younis and his family to Norbury.

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/norbury-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... age/15960/

:D
paul
Site Admin

Re: St Philip's, the Vicar and the future........

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:Right, let me start off by saying that I have no knowledge of St P's or any of the people that run the church - what follows is just the result of a thought that popped in to my mind

As we all now know the Vicar of St Philip's, Canon Patrick Washington, will retire on the 16th May. I understand that his health has not been the best in the last few years and I'm sure we all wish him a long and happy retirement and thank him for the help that he and his wife have given to Libera.

However, it got me thinking - will the change of Vicar have an affect on Libera?

What if the new Vicar doesn't want a men/boys only choir (sadly a very popular view in many of England's churches)?

What if the new Vicar doesn't get along with RP and wants a new Choir Master?

What if the new Vicar isn't so keen on welcoming strangers to the church to attend Sunday services and see the boys.

For all we love Libera I'm sure that they do bring some extra work and problems that other churches don't have to face. So, is there any chance that this change might affect Libera? I have heard whispers about 'goings on' at St P's but it is hard to know what to believe. The Andy Winter saga certainly brought a few weirdo's out of the cracks with some strange stories - does anybody have any real insight in to the church and would like to comment on whether Fr Patrick's retirement will cause any ripples in Libera World?
Canon Patrick Washington has not taken mass since before Christmas, they have had stand in vicar's for the last couple of months.

A new vicar has been selected and will join st Philip's in the next month or so.

Whats not to want in Libera? Every visiting vicar has praised the work of RP and Libera, and have got the autographs of the boys, one service was orientated around the choir, referring to them as a light, a light that others shall follow, the service concluded with the hymn, Lead kindly light.

No one is a stranger in a church.

I would say Libera are no more work than any other choir. Libera are in fact independent of the church, in respect of paying for travel and concerts.

I don't think we need worry, the congregation will have the last say about the choir, as many are the family of the boys. The general feeling and word, and this is from the horse's mouth, "We are lucky to have them."

I'm there for mass every Sunday, and the congregation, I would say is at least twice the size of the choir, and they are regular locals. I chat to many after the service over coffee.

I hope this clears up your concerns Yorkie.

I would say, that there is nothing to stop Libera.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

dani wrote:
libera36 wrote:My hope for St. P's is that the new vicar will be somebody full of energy who can bring the church back to life, if you know what I mean!

Wont happen as its Norbury, nobody cares there. Its a very run down area and is not the kind of area where people go to church.
You keep on saying that Norbury is run down, I think you should visit some time, its a booming little community, and in my opinion, people do go to church, as I mentiond in my previous post, they do get a good gathering, and they are locals, I chat to them every week over coffee after the service.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Update as of today:

Vicar Designate UPDATE

We are very pleased to announce that Father Younis Francis has been appointed as Priest in Charge, Vicar Designate of St Philip's.

Bishop Christopher Southwark will license Fr Younis to begin his Ministry at St Philip's on Monday 27th June at 8pm.

We are looking forward to welcoming Fr Younis and his family to Norbury.

source: http://www.achurchnearyou.com/norbury-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... age/15960/
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
lacrymosa2
Silver Member

Post by lacrymosa2 »

Twelve hours and eight minutes until St. Philip's gets a new Vicar. I wish nothing but great luck and my blessings to Fr. Francis and the St. Philip's community.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I hope there will be a good turn-out tonight and a warm welcome. But I have a good feeling about that. I hope he will be a good leader who will help them grow in faith and build their community. They deserve it!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

St Philip's has a new webpage :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

viabuona wrote:St Philip's has a new webpage :D
Nice... I notice the Daily Message is made available for audio. Could it be possible future services will be webcast? I'd be much more receptive to St Philipps Choir singing the 'daily message' :D
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
DeProfundis130

Post by DeProfundis130 »

Yorkie wrote:Right, let me start off by saying that I have no knowledge of St P's or any of the people that run the church - what follows is just the result of a thought that popped in to my mind

As we all now know the Vicar of St Philip's, Canon Patrick Washington, will retire on the 16th May. I understand that his health has not been the best in the last few years and I'm sure we all wish him a long and happy retirement and thank him for the help that he and his wife have given to Libera.

However, it got me thinking - will the change of Vicar have an affect on Libera?

What if the new Vicar doesn't want a men/boys only choir (sadly a very popular view in many of England's churches)?

What if the new Vicar doesn't get along with RP and wants a new Choir Master?

What if the new Vicar isn't so keen on welcoming strangers to the church to attend Sunday services and see the boys.

For all we love Libera I'm sure that they do bring some extra work and problems that other churches don't have to face. So, is there any chance that this change might affect Libera? I have heard whispers about 'goings on' at St P's but it is hard to know what to believe. The Andy Winter saga certainly brought a few weirdo's out of the cracks with some strange stories - does anybody have any real insight in to the church and would like to comment on whether Fr Patrick's retirement will cause any ripples in Libera World?
Dear yorkie;

I appreciate that this response is dated in respect to that of your posting, but prior to my fleshing out the entire progress of your Posting a prominent comment comes to mind which I may loose if I do not now respond.The over riding basic thrust of your concerns posited here, brings me to recall of the experiences of The Faith Tradition That I Strive to maintain;Roman Catholic. Over the course of my lifetime I've witnessed what I believe to have been more change than what the world has ever previously known. As this relates to your posting is my ( I am here trying to condense many, many, thoughts and comments, that I hold to be of much significance)one uppermost appreciation is that of the Hierarchy relenting in it's hold on Power (Limitedley Slow, for sure). But most significantly is this appreciated on the Parish level, where now power is no longer entirely in the Hands of the Pastor. Perhaps without my yet delving further, it may be a consideration for my Fellow Pilgrims in The Christian Faith Tradition be a mantel to bear in Mind should the continued Life of Libera be at risk at St. Phillip"s.
The People of God, The Church, is Primarily The Persons in The Pews who are in Full Faith with The Teacher (In the Person of His Ordained Servants).
Being In Full Faith does not infer Being Dominated By!

Peace, Gerald.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I belong to the Episcopal church. From what I've heard and read in the Anglican church, like ours, the elected committee of the laity, known as the vestry, plays a major role in the management of parish churches. The vestry selects the priest with the approval of the bishop. The priest meets with the vestry periodically, often monthly. Expenditures, budgetting, hiring, firing, generally any major change or issue relating to the parish is discussed between the priest and the vestry and decisions made democraticaly. The vestry is also the people's voice to the priest and sometimes even vice versa. AFAIK that's been the general state of affairs in both churches since the late 19th century, so in the Anglican churches power hasn't rested solely in the hands of the priest for over a century. If the new priest at St. Phillip's has a problem with Libera then he will have to settle it in conjunction with the parish vestry.