UK school system

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

plumpuff6
Silver Member

UK school system

Post by plumpuff6 »

So, as a student in the United States, I was wondering what the school system is like in the UK and what people think are the advantages and disadvantages of it. I am not really familiar with it at all, and don't even know if the UK system is common throughout Europe or not; all I know is that there's some kind of exams students take when they're teens, called O Levels or A Levels or something, and the results of the exams dictate what you study your last year or two of high school? Can anyone outline and clarify the school system in the UK/Europe for me? I'm quite curious about it.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

P.S. I think I posted this in the wrong section...it seems like it should be in the Miscellaneous section. How can I move it there?
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Syafiqah

Re: UK school system

Post by Syafiqah »

plumpuff6 wrote:So, as a student in the United States, I was wondering what the school system is like in the UK and what people think are the advantages and disadvantages of it. I am not really familiar with it at all, and don't even know if the UK system is common throughout Europe or not; all I know is that there's some kind of exams students take when they're teens, called O Levels or A Levels or something, and the results of the exams dictate what you study your last year or two of high school? Can anyone outline and clarify the school system in the UK/Europe for me? I'm quite curious about it.
I'm not from the UK but Singapore has the same kind of education system as the British. We take O levels (they call it GCSEs there) to determine which pre-university school we will end up in to take A levels which then determines which university we enter. I think A levels is similar to the SATs in America? O levels/A levels are actually international exams for us Singaporeans as we are constantly reminded that we are not only competing with Singaporeans but also people from the Commonwealth countries (former British colonies) who have the same education system. So yes, O/A Levels are a big deal as they are international exams and yeah, they're expensive too lol. I'm not sure about the advantages/disadvantages, maybe someone else can help? :)
heeh91
Silver Member

Re: UK school system

Post by heeh91 »

Syafiqah wrote:
I'm not from the UK but Singapore has the same kind of education system as the British. We take O levels (they call it GCSEs there) to determine which pre-university school we will end up in to take A levels which then determines which university we enter. I think A levels is similar to the SATs in America? O levels/A levels are actually international exams for us Singaporeans as we are constantly reminded that we are not only competing with Singaporeans but also people from the Commonwealth countries (former British colonies) who have the same education system. So yes, O/A Levels are a big deal as they are international exams and yeah, they're expensive too lol. I'm not sure about the advantages/disadvantages, maybe someone else can help? :)
i think in the US your A levels are kind of the same as our AP level exams. not to do with UK but just thought i'd say.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

In the UK we take GCSE's in year 11 (15-16 yr olds) which is the exams that will determine what sort of courses we can do at sixth form (stay on at school for two years) or college (where you go to do A levels or vocational courses).

I left school when it wasnt compulsory to go onto sixth form or college but it is now, so all UK students now that are under or are 11-12years of age have to stay on in education till 18 years old.

At 18 years you can go onto university depending on the grades you get at sixth form or college. :D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

forgot to meantion during the whole schooling in the UK we take to sets of SAT tests, both in junior school (7-12 years) these results determine what sets (abilty classes) we are in secondary school (12-16 years). :D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

In the US there is/are:

The SAT (which are taken multiple times usually, throughout highschool and are necessary to get in to pretty much any 4-year college)

SAT II's (subject based acheivement tests. its good to have some of these for college)

The ACT (similar to the SAT, but without the essay portion and is taken in high school. some people never take the ACT though, apparently)

AP's (subject based achievement tests "Advanced Placement", which some colleges think are great and some colleges just ignore).

Depending on the state, you take annoying standardized tests throughout elementary and middle school that determine almost nothing. There is also quite a few pre-ACT and pre-SAT tests that are taken throughout middle and highschool. Like the practice SAT (the PSAT) and the practice, practice SAT (the PPSAT) and all the books designed so you can practice for all the various practice SAT's (the PPPPPPPPPPPPPPSAT's). :wink:

In my opinion, the US is far to test based and needs to move back to some actual learning for the sake of learning. And while No Child Left behind was an excellent idea, I think it needs to be approached differently, because it basically just emphasized the testing even more.

Oh and sorry if I missed anything, I'm not through the whole highschool thing yet, so my facts might be a little bit off. :wink:
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Just wanted to chime in on the US system...

The SAT and ACT are completely optional exams for high school students. (Grades 9-12, so ages roughly 14-18) That said, most, if not all, colleges/universities (the words are interchangeable in the states) require SAT scores for acceptance. The ACT is taken by students who need it for a certain college or who maybe didn't do well on the SAT and want a better test score to show to the college. They are different styles of tests (personally I did great on the ACT and just average on the SAT - this was before the new SAT version, no essay on mine).

The SAT II...personally I know not a single person who took any of those. Again, college specific and not taken by all.

The PSAT and such are also optional, taken by the more serious students who are trying to get on the National Honor Society and really prepare so they can score high on the SAT.

The AP exams are only taken by students who took AP classes (basically if you do well on the exam, you get college credit, meaning less courses to take in college). AP classes are quite a bit harder than their normal counterparts, but if you do well, it pays off.

States also have different standardized tests, as was mentioned before. My state, Texas, used to have the TAAS test (texas assessment of academic skills) which was given every few years (they changed which grades they wanted to give it in so often that I took it almost every year for a while!). The TAAS test is now called TAKS (not sure what it stands for) and apparently is still just as big of a joke as it was when I was in school. Very basic questions about basic subjects. Many teachers "teach to the test"...so students learn what they need to pass the TAKS and that's it.

From my understanding of the UK school system, everyone takes the GCSEs at around age 16? Then from there you go on depending on your scores.

I know the original post was asking about UK schools but I thought I'd clarify a bit how testing in the states works. We don't have any single test that every student *must* take.
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Jenn wrote:Just wanted to chime in on the US system...

The SAT and ACT are completely optional exams for high school students. (Grades 9-12, so ages roughly 14-18) That said, most, if not all, colleges/universities (the words are interchangeable in the states) require SAT scores for acceptance. The ACT is taken by students who need it for a certain college or who maybe didn't do well on the SAT and want a better test score to show to the college. They are different styles of tests (personally I did great on the ACT and just average on the SAT - this was before the new SAT version, no essay on mine).

The SAT II...personally I know not a single person who took any of those. Again, college specific and not taken by all.

The PSAT and such are also optional, taken by the more serious students who are trying to get on the National Honor Society and really prepare so they can score high on the SAT.

The AP exams are only taken by students who took AP classes (basically if you do well on the exam, you get college credit, meaning less courses to take in college). AP classes are quite a bit harder than their normal counterparts, but if you do well, it pays off.

States also have different standardized tests, as was mentioned before. My state, Texas, used to have the TAAS test (texas assessment of academic skills) which was given every few years (they changed which grades they wanted to give it in so often that I took it almost every year for a while!). The TAAS test is now called TAKS (not sure what it stands for) and apparently is still just as big of a joke as it was when I was in school. Very basic questions about basic subjects. Many teachers "teach to the test"...so students learn what they need to pass the TAKS and that's it.

From my understanding of the UK school system, everyone takes the GCSEs at around age 16? Then from there you go on depending on your scores.

I know the original post was asking about UK schools but I thought I'd clarify a bit how testing in the states works. We don't have any single test that every student *must* take.
Thanks for chiming in! I'm not all the way through yet, so I don't know all the finer details. :wink:
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

Jenn wrote:
Now you know one person who took SAT IIs ;)
Most school I applied recommended (can't remember it was recommended or required) 2-3 SAT II tests and I took like 4-5... cuz I'm a nerd like that lol

Personally, I thought the SATs were jokes. If a freshman in high school is allowed to take the test, there is something seriously wrong in that expensive standardized test. SAT score means nothing but a check mark next to a college application. The SAT IIs are slightly more difficult than the SATs, but they are still pretty easy if you choose right subjects.

The AP (Advanced Placement) exams are more challenging than SAT IIs. Basically, you can take first year college-level courses in high school. If you score 4/5 or 5/5 on AP exams, you can ask your college whether they accept particular AP subject as a replacement for whatever foundation-level course or not. If they take it, lucky you because AP exams are obviously easier than real college-level exams.

Is anyone familiar with the IB (International Baccalaureate) exams? I heard it's similar to the AP exams.
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dearmadine wrote:Is anyone familiar with the IB (International Baccalaureate) exams? I heard it's similar to the AP exams.
The last few years in the UK has see a backlash against what is perceived as a lowering of standards (by the government) of the UK exams. Basically year on year more kids are passing and with better grades. The Government pretend that this is due to a rise in standards, whilst at the same time conveniently ignoring the fact that the UK is slipping down the international league tables for the quality of its education.

Many schools (mainly public ones which in the US would be called private :D ) are considering swapping to the IB because it is free from political interference and can be trusted as a true test of a students ability and hard work.

Sad but true. I often joke that they give UK qualifications out in boxes of cornflakes now (which should annoy all our younger UK residents on this forum!).
Last edited by Yorkie on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

lol i cant agree they give them out in cornflake boxes, i had to work very hard for my B grade in all subjects 2 years ago, if it came out of cornflake boxes i would have A's lol :D
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

Yorkie wrote:
dearmadine wrote:Is anyone familiar with the IB (International Baccalaureate) exams? I heard it's similar to the AP exams.
The last few years in the UK has see a backlash against what is perceived as a lowering of standards (by the government) of the UK exams. Basically year on year more kids are passing and with better grades. The Government pretend that this is due to a rise in standards, whilst at the same time conveniently ignoring the fact that the UK is slipping down the international league tables for the quality of its education.

Many schools (mainly public ones which in the US would be called private :D ) are considering swapping to the IB because it is free from political interference and can be trusted as a true test of a students ability and hard work.

Sad but true. I often joke that they give UK qualifications out in boxes of cornflakes now (which should annoy all our younger UK residents on this forum!).
Could be worse. In the US, if you can throw a football, you get all A's. And our world academic standards are some of the lowest. But then, what can you expect when it is all sports, sports and more sports and not near enough academics, especially music and the arts. If God had blessed me with a family and a son, trust me, there would have been no sports, especially football. Maybe baseball along with lots and lots of music. But the major would have been music.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."