2%
Far Away
No votes

Total votes: 41

plumpuff6
Silver Member

Favorite solo by Ben P.

Post by plumpuff6 »

Yet another poll...I had meant to post this one earlier, but never did.

What is your favorite solo by Ben P.? As before, I'm only including album solos or solos where he sang a "main" part.

This is another hard decision! I like "Going Home", because it was one of his first solos, and the combination of Ben, Tom and Josh was great. Then again, "The Lamb" and "Lacrymosa" showcase his excellent ear...and his reprise of "Lacrymosa" in 2010 shows a deepening in interpretation of songs. "Time" is likewise a favorite, because he sings in a "new" style, soaring and loud, compared to his softer, subtle previous performances of "Lacrymosa" and "The Lamb".

However, I have decided I love the way he sounds on "Sanctissima" the most...still classic Ben P., but with a little something extra there, compared to before, an added tenderness and wistfulness to his voice, that makes this song my favorite.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I've gone for Exsultate because upbeat fast-tempo songs are quite rare for Libera and it reflects his cheeky-chappie, slightly mischievous side of his personality the best.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I went for Baa Baa Black sheep. No contest.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Tough tough tough one. Plumpuff you have a way of keeping us occupied! As we in the Netherlands would say, "it keeps you off the street" :)

I finally chose Time because it never fails to enthrall me. His flowing soaring voice just gets me every(..erm..)time ;) Strong, passionate, enchanted.

But it was basically a tie with Lacrymosa 2010 and The Lamb. Lacrymosa because I think he totally made it *his* song - even more than Exsultate. Whenever it comes along, I think - ah, Ben's song - whether or not the rest of the boys like to sing it, he rules this song and he has to sing it and they are *just* helping him out. It's like he owns the darn thing. I also think that Lacrymose and not Exsultate shows his personality most. And then The Lamb - I marvel at what my ears are treated with. It sounds just like a little white lamb. And I love the fact that it's a capella. And Ben's role as a soloist, well, he pulls it off really well, carrying the song and laying the ground for the rest of the boys and their harmonies.

But Time moves me the most, so that's why I finally chose that one - even though I never think of Time as a "Ben song", strangely enough (as opposed to the other ones mentioned). But I will from now on :)

(Oh, and maybe I missed something, but - Secret is on the list, but did Ben ever sing that??)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

maartendas wrote:
(Oh, and maybe I missed something, but - Secret is on the list, but did Ben ever sing that??)
He sung it in concerts when Josh's voice broke :D
john45
Gold Member

Re: Favorite solo by Ben P.

Post by john45 »

plumpuff6 wrote:
Then again, "The Lamb" and "Lacrymosa" showcase his excellent ear...
While these two certainly showcase Ben's excellent ear and "perfect pitch" I am not too fond of the tunes themselves. Pity he did not do Tavener's version of The Lamb.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initially torn between Sanctissima and Exultate, and in the absence of Bayan Ko from the list, I decided to go for Jerusalem. To give new life to this often heard song was an achievement in itself.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:
plumpuff6 wrote:
Then again, "The Lamb" and "Lacrymosa" showcase his excellent ear...
While these two certainly showcase Ben's excellent ear and "perfect pitch" I am not too fond of the tunes themselves. Pity he did not do Tavener's version of The Lamb.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now you see, you pays your money and you takes your choice but I actually prefer the Libera setting than Tavener's :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

My vote goes to Time :D
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

john45 wrote: Initially torn between Sanctissima and Exultate, and in the absence of Bayan Ko from the list, I decided to go for Jerusalem. To give new life to this often heard song was an achievement in itself.
Oh! I cannot believe I forgot "Bayan Ko"!!! When I was making the poll, I knew there was one solo that I was missing but I couldn't think of what it was...and you've named it. I wish I'd included that one as well. It seemed to get a lot of support.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I really like Time, the Lamb and Exsultate! All for different reasons. I eneded up choosing Time because his voice just has so much power in it, and I thought it fit him well :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I just love his voice on time.

Perfect!
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Voted for Time. The song is so powerful. Wow, when you hear it for the first time it's like a blast :wink: You just can forget the world. When I heard it for the first time, it was an early morning and I was about to go to work. Of course I was late then... :oops: :lol:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Murkskis wrote:Voted for Time. The song is so powerful. Wow, when you hear it for the first time it's like a blast :wink: You just can forget the world. When I heard it for the first time, it was an early morning and I was about to go to work. Of course I was late then... :oops: :lol:
:D (talk about time! ;))
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

plumpuff6 wrote:
john45 wrote: Initially torn between Sanctissima and Exultate, and in the absence of Bayan Ko from the list, I decided to go for Jerusalem. To give new life to this often heard song was an achievement in itself.
Oh! I cannot believe I forgot "Bayan Ko"!!! When I was making the poll, I knew there was one solo that I was missing but I couldn't think of what it was...and you've named it. I wish I'd included that one as well. It seemed to get a lot of support.
Don't you just hate it when that happens? :lol: Ben brought the house down with that solo.

I didn't remember that either so i voted for Time. This song cemented Ben's place among the Libera greats. The only reason one would hesitate to vote for Time is cos he shared the song with Josh.

If it was strictly just Ben i would've voted for Jerusalem. Although the degree of difficulty in singing Exsultate can not be ignored.

I don't think anybody will vote for Secret since there isn't a video out there with him singing it. Just memories of lucky concert viewers who heard him sing it live.
psykick

Post by psykick »

I don't think Ben came out as charismatic and musically 'dominant'(forgive me for using this phrase, but I can't think of any other way to put it) in any of his other songs than in Time. He truly looks angelic in the music video. Perhaps one other reason I think so highly of this song - especially highly - is that I heard this song live in Manila. Oh, the goosebumps I got from this song...

The mysterious atmosphere of the song due to its minor chords and transitions is probably another reason. I love these kinds of songs. And Ben sang it so splendidly!