Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Silver Member

Videos of other choirs

Post by Sue »

Hey guys,
Libera are the best! I guess with this opinion we are all united here. :lol:
But there are so many good choirs on earth. Boys Choirs, Womens / female Choirs, Mans / male Choirs & many Mixed Choirs (pure Childrens Choirs and so on).
Why they should get an own thread here?

So, do you know other good choirs? Than ad a video here.
If you know the country from which your choir-idea is from or other informations (like number of members, pitches of voices, performances, publicity or other interesting facts) write it down here.

I'm joyful looking forward to your ideas :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well, this one will go down well with one of our number who hails from South Africa :D

The Drakensberg Boys Choir:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

This is the Toelzer Knabenchor (boys choir Bad Toelz, Germany) with its version of the Abba-Song "Money, money, money" :D

[youtube][/youtube]

I always have to laugh about their costumes, this traditional dresses :P

[youtube][/youtube]
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Well, this one will go down well with one of our number who hails from South Africa
The Drakensberg Boys Choir
Wow, that's so wonderful, so agile and alive, amazingly :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Loving the accent on that Abba song + that young fella certainly belts out his part with gusto :D

Now, my next post is more about the composer and music than the (excellent choir); after all, a choir is nothing without good music. So, without further ado, please step forward Sir John Tavener - a living legend that proves the 20th century can produce great choral music (and yes, it's a typical English SATB choir of men and boys)

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Boys only this time. Practically unheard of in their home country, their music was produced primarily for the Japanese market (does that sound familiar :lol: ) - those Japanese women just love to hear little European boys sing :wink:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Well, back to my comfort zone now. St Paul's Cathedral is huge and the enormous dome presents problems for performing music (it has a 13 second echo) so the songs are usually done at a slower tempo than perhaps would be normal elsewhere. They also have an unusually large group of trebles - it's a big space to fill.

I've picked some pieces from the Queen's Golden Jubilee - it even makes me come over all religious:D

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

You might notice a group of boys in front of the choir stalls in that next one wearing rather snazzy red jackets. I think they are the choristers from the Chapel Royal - the Queens personal choir based at St James' Palace (but I might be wrong on that).#edit# Yes, they are from the Chapel Royal. The distinctive State uniforms worn by the Children date from the reign of Charles II (1630-1685).

[youtube][/youtube]

#edit# thought I'd sneak this in - sound familiar to anyone?

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thanks for all these postings. To Yorkie, especially, for that wonderful rendition of For the Beauty of the Earth. I love that song. It's the first Libera song I've listened to. :) Saw it also in Youtube.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So good you posted twice Phlibera :D , and you're welcome. If it gets one more person listening to more choral music I'm a happy man.

Heard of Andrew Swait? If not then I recommend you look out for the The Choirboys album (there are two and the boys are different on each, Andrew was a member of the 2007 group which is the album of Christmas songs). He started off singing in this choir:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

and I've got to add a bit of King's to the mix

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

And now some from America :wink:

The All-American Boys Choir...
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Phoenix Boys Choir..
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Harlem Boys Choir...
[youtube][/youtube]
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

A couple more...

Atlanta Boys Choir...
[youtube][/youtube]

Cincinnati Boys Choir...
[youtube][/youtube]

Minnesota Boys Choir...
[youtube][/youtube]

Land of Lakes Boychoir...this is in canon btw...
[youtube][/youtube]
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

"Music is my Refuge. I can just crawl in between the spaces of the notes and curl my back to the loneliness."- Maya Angelou
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for those Deshaun, I think my favourites were the Boy's Choir of Harlem & Atlanta Boys Choir. Particularly liking that Atlanta piece.

Interesting that in the States you tend to go for very large ensembles using lads from about 10 up to late teens. But those poor sods in Minnesota - what were they wearing :shock:

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

And now from the Philippines...

Las Piñas Boys Choir - Thankful
Words and Music by Carole Bayer Sager, David Foster, and Richard Page
Arranged and Conducted by Armando Salarza (their musical director)

[youtube][/youtube]

And here's a footage of them performing live. The LPBC performing a Pilipino Christmas song.

Listen to that crowd clap! Lots of Bayan Ko Clapping Naysayers will be very angry.

And the low voices! Hehe... This Christmas song never fails to put a smile in my face. Our school choir, which I was a member, sang this when I was 13. Enjoy!

Las Piñas Boys Choir - Kumukutikutitap

[youtube][/youtube]
irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

Yorkie wrote:Thanks for those Deshaun, I think my favourites were the Boy's Choir of Harlem & Atlanta Boys Choir. Particularly liking that Atlanta piece.

Interesting that in the States you tend to go for very large ensembles using lads from about 10 up to late teens. But those poor sods in Minnesota - what were they wearing :shock:

Ahhh some Americans LOVE the Soprano and Tenor voices....and if we can find young adult men with Bass voices SO BE IT! We coax the lower voices to sing alot....and a reallly goooooooooood Alto is much appreciated as well....Idina Menzel for one LOVE HER ALTO VOICE :D (not to mention shes smokin :wink: )

Um as far as ages I will admit alot of our younger boys under 10 are just not suited for this, yes some may join early and get disciplined in controlling themselves....but most cannot.
Deshaun(day-shawn!)

irishoreo
Gold Member

Post by irishoreo »

phlibera wrote:And now from the Philippines...

Las Piñas Boys Choir - Thankful
Words and Music by Carole Bayer Sager, David Foster, and Richard Page
Arranged and Conducted by Armando Salarza (their musical director)

[youtube][/youtube]

And here's a footage of them performing live. The LPBC performing a Pilipino Christmas song.

Listen to that crowd clap! Lots of Bayan Ko Clapping Naysayers will be very angry.

And the low voices! Hehe... This Christmas song never fails to put a smile in my face. Our school choir, which I was a member, sang this when I was 13. Enjoy!

Las Piñas Boys Choir - Kumukutikutitap

[youtube][/youtube]

Absolutely Gorgeous!
Deshaun(day-shawn!)