Instruments

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Flora
Silver Member

Instruments

Post by Flora »

I checked to see if there was another thread like this and didn't see one; sorry if I missed it somewhere!

I know TEB mentioned he played (plays?) the french horn quite well. Does anyone else here play a musical instrument? Oh, and if you don't, what instrument would you like to learn?
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

I play keyboards :) Can play the piano too but dont like :P
What about you, Flora? ;)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I also play the keyboard but unlike my Narnian friend I prefer the piano and need to get around to buying one :roll: .... my grandfather was a music teacher (mostly woodwind) and has a beautiful very old clarinet that I would love to be able to play..... some day....
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

I play piano/keyboard and trombone, both at an amateur level. I also play guitar a little from time to time.

Jude -- I'm with you on the piano thing. I was fortunate enough to get a reasonable deal on a piano some years ago, and much prefer the slightly decrepit and (currently) woefully out-of-tune piano to any snazzy electronic keyboard, all other things being equal. (For traveling to a gig, though, an electronic keyboard is decidedly handier!)
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

I grew up with music. My dad is a conductor for several church choirs and he plays cello. I play the piano, flute, oboe, and french horn.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

I know TEB mentioned he played (plays?) the french horn quite well.
Actually, it is played. I haven't played french horn since I graduated high school. My parents had told me the horn was on the rent to own upon graduation plan that turned out to be turn the horn in before I got my diploma.
I started to play soprano bugle after that until I gave up performing due to being tired of the touring schedule. I used to play piano at one time and I think, with practice, I could pick it up again. I am always looking for a keyboard somewhere at a good price. I would also be interested in learning how to play the recorder too.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

tcenrt wrote:I grew up with music. My dad is a conductor for several church choirs and he plays cello. I play the piano, flute, oboe, and french horn
:shock:

Holy moly Ann, you're a regular one person orchestra :lol:
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

Jude Andrew wrote:
tcenrt wrote:I grew up with music. My dad is a conductor for several church choirs and he plays cello. I play the piano, flute, oboe, and french horn
:shock:

Holy moly Ann, you're a regular one person orchestra :lol:
Haha....I didn't say I am good though, but that mean I can make a lot of noise.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I learnt the piano when I'm really really young, but played for less than 2 years and I realized that I'm not very much musically talented so I stopped lessons. Music and me just doesn't click!
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

TEB wrote: I started to play soprano bugle after that until I gave up performing due to being tired of the touring schedule.
What kind of band were you in??
Dennis
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

In middleschool I played the Xylophone and Marimba. In highschool I played the sax Alto, Tenor and Bari. Although the alto was my favorite since it was the lightest. I would ocassionally switch to clarinet and was ok at it. Then I tried the french horn because our concert band needed one but I am not a horn player, so that didn't last for long :lol: I gave up all instruments during boring football season because I was the drum major for our marching band :D
Dennis
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

So many musical people here, wow! With a few more string players, we could start the first ever Libera Dreams online orchestra.

Ann, you and I share a lot of instruments! I play the flute and a very tiny bit of piano and oboe. I also abused my poor band mates for four years on the bassoon. Brass and string instruments are beyond me; I really admire anyone who can play them.

I forgot to ask, does anyone here know any Libera songs? I’ve been practicing some of them along with Tomoliena’s lovely piano versions on YouTube.
whitetail1985 wrote: I gave up all instruments during boring football season because I was the drum major for our marching band :D
That is so exciting! I wish I’d had the courage to try out for drum major! Marching band is easily one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. Did you compete?
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Flora wrote: Did you compete?
No sadly not, our highschool band never competed :cry: And our director never mentioned touring bands like the Madison Scouts which is right down the road :evil: I didn't find out about them until I was 20 so trying out just for one year didn't make sense to me :?

Flora have you ever been to the DCI world championships? I got to go to one when it was held here in Madison 8)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dennis
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

whitetail1985 wrote:
TEB wrote: I started to play soprano bugle after that until I gave up performing due to being tired of the touring schedule.
What kind of band were you in??

Dennis,
I was a member of the Westshoremen Senior Drum & Bugle Corps for 8 years. I played second soprano bugle for all 8 years. The Westshoremen belonged to and competed in the DCA( Drum Corps Associates). When I joined, we were in 10th place(last) at the finals. We rose to 2nd place and then dropped to 4th, which was my last year. As I said before, the touring schedule got to me. Every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Sometimes 2 shows a weekend. With several practices during the week. While I do miss the performing, I really don't miss the touring.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

TEB wrote: I was a member of the Westshoremen Senior Drum & Bugle Corps for 8 years.
Oh how I envy you :D but looking at the touring schedule for some of the DCI groups I can see how it can be extremely overwhelming looks like a lot of work to me :wink:
Dennis