So, what's being said about the release of a terrorist......

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

So, what's being said about the release of a terrorist......

Post by Yorkie »

...around the world (and particularly the USA)?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nship.html

Just wondering 'coz the ordinary people over here are appalled. Only politicians could come up with this c***.

I've heard that there is talk of boycotting Scottish goods - apart from whisky I'm not sure what would be on the list! So, what the talk where you live?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

I live in a military town so you can imagine people here are a bit angry about this. As for boycotting, what I'm hearing is a tourism boycott.

As for me, I'm not happy about it and I think it's a mistake. But I don't think it's enough to inflict any permanent damage to our relationship. Will I cancel my semi-annual trips to the UK? NEVER! :wink:

Regards,
Rich
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you get the feeling it is a bit like the freedom fries, cheese eating surrender monkey thing that died out pretty quickly or do you think this might last longer?

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you get the feeling it is a bit like the freedom fries, cheese eating surrender monkey thing that died out pretty quickly or do you think this might last longer?
haha freedom fries, does make you laugh, the media over here speak to 5 people in american and then spread it as "everybody in the u,s is now calling them freedom fries" when actually 99.9% didnt care at all.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Hi Rich,

haha freedom fries, does make you laugh, the media over here speak to 5 people in american and then spread it as "everybody in the u,s is now calling them freedom fries" when actually 99.9% didnt care at all.
Exactly. 0.00001% of the US population called them Freedom Fries :roll: and that got translated into 'everyone'. If fact, I can't even remember why we were mad at the French.

Anyway, I think this will blow over quickly.

Rich
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

I just read this in the newspaper.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Ireland+bla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... story.html

What's happening over there in UK?? :shock: First Scotland, now Ireland.

Ann
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Haha, Freedom Fries?? Everybody called them that for approx. a week, but stopped for some reason... I have no idea why.... I do remember being very confused though, because I thought that it was just the "French" in French fries that we were mad at and it was fine to say "French toast" or "French braid" :lol:
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

I just read this in the newspaper.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Ireland+bla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... story.html

What's happening over there in UK?? First Scotland, now Ireland.
only one explanation ... the poltics here have all gone mad with power/or lack of :)
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

What the heck. He's a dead man anyway. I wonder if he will even receive the adequacy of care in Libya that he would have in Scotland? Sending him to Libya may guarentee him a more agonizing demise.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

tcenrt wrote:I just read this in the newspaper.

Ann
Wow :shock:

Still I'm glad to hear that all you in the states still love (some) of us Limeys 8)
Last edited by Yorkie on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

anyway fries are not French, they are Belgian ! :lol:
tcenrt
Silver Member

Post by tcenrt »

fan_de_LoK wrote:anyway fries are not French, they are Belgian ! :lol:
You mean we have gotten it all wrong all these years!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
'Let me go where'er I will,
I hear a sky-born music still:
It sounds from all things old,
It sounds from all things young,
From all that's fair, from all that's foul,
Peals out a cheerful song.'
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Really?? I didn't know that! I think I will call them Belgian fries from now on.... :lol: Though that could get me some strange looks when I order at McDonald's..... :wink:
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Yorkie wrote:
tcenrt wrote:I just read this in the newspaper.

Ann
Wow :shock:

Still I'm glad to hear that all you in the states still love (some) of us Limeys 8)
I'll always love the Brits.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

I had to wait until I did some research on this. And I went to the BBC for it. I get all my news from the BBC.
While, as an American citizen, I am appalled that a terrorist was set free, I also realize that no government, not even my own, is above making mistakes. Scotland did make a mistake here. And yes, I am of Scottish decent so I say this with discomfort. But, I also agree with the PM when he told the FBI director to mind his own business.
The biggest mistake Scotland made was in believing what Libya said when they promised there would be no hero's welcome. If Libya sent out a press release that the world was round, I'd check first before I'd believe them.
Scotland did make a mistake and they will have to answer to the British Parliment, possibly the Queen and most certainly, the United Nations. I agree that our president, and the FBI director need to keep their opinions to themselves as this person was not wanted in the US, as far as I can find out.
As an American citizen and a proud member of Clan Farquharson of Scotland, I will always be faithful to both my homeland and the land of the birth of my family.
So,
God Bless the United States of America and The United Kingdom.
God Save The Queen.
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."