Musical gems

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: Musical gems

Post by Padmachou »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:44 pm">3 months ago</span> Speaking of "Ave Maria"s, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tadgh Fitzgerald's take on the Schubert version in the "Apart But Together" concert during Covid.
I thought of it, but I could not pick twice the same song, and ultimately TDL's performance being live makes it slightly more impressive. I wished we could have heared Tadgh live... :cry:

It is too late for me to do my album choices right now, so, stay tuned :mrgreen:
dani wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:19 pm">3 months ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 pm">3 months ago</span>
Some wonderful choices and it’s fascinating to see how everybody is coming at the question with a different angle so makes it even more fun to see the lists.
Totally agree, it is quite fun :D Thank you Amie for the original idea !
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Ooookay here comes my album. It was much more difficult than the DVD (since I decided I wanted half live/half studio videos for the DVD there were limitations). I totally cheated. Have no regrets :mrgreen:

1 Silencium (2001, Luminosa) - Ben Crawley

2 Sacris Solemnis (2001, Luminosa) - no soloist credited

I could have picked the last version with Freddie M, but I wanted to show a bit more of the "ancient" songs, to represent every era of Libera.

3 Sempiterna (2006, Visions) - Joe Sanders-Wilde, Tom Cully

4 Ave Virgo (2010, Peace) - Tom Cully

5 Sancte (2008, New Dawn) - Liam Connery (source : Libera Passion, but is it not Tom Cully ?)

I would love to think it is Liam, so he would be featured in the album and he deserves to, but I am pretty sure it is Tom Cully unfortunately...

6 Time (2010, Peace) - Josh Madine, Ben Philipp

7 Angele Dei (2017, Hope) - Alex Montoro

8 Sanctus (2018, Beyond)

I picked this version because I love how the song evolved. Sanctus deserves a full detailled album with every version, including Locus Iste.

9 Benedictus Deus (2018, Beyond) - Leo Barron

I could have picked the TDL's version but I wanted Leo to be on the album. I also regret not including a Stefan or Ralph's song, but strangely they did not record so many, and I really like the second version of Benedictus Deus better. Totally cheated to include the bonus tracks, fortunately :lol:

10 Vespera (2021, If) - Luca Brugnoli, Daniel Catalogna

11 Lux Aeterna (2021, If) - Oliver WR

I hesitated with the 1999's version.

12 O Beata (2023, Forever) - Mitchel Guy

13 At Sea (2023, Forever) - Freddie M

Bonus tracks (yes, I am cheating) : Christmas great performances

14 Coventry Carol (2011, The Christmas Album) - Josh Madine, Ralph Skan, Stefan Leadbeater

15 Ding Dong Merrily on High (2019, Christmas Carols with Libera)

16 Silent Night (2019, Christmas Carols with Libera) - Luca Brugnoli, Ben Bywater, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin, Dominik Clarke

Songs I regret I could not include (the underlined ones almost made it) :
Agnus Dei (LoK), Mysterium (A. Harris), Dies Irae (S. Geraghty), Semele (Ben C), I am the day (Ben C), Voca Me (TDL), When a Knight (Joe Platt), Always with you (Tom Cully), Air on the G string (New Dawn), Jerusalem and The Lamb (Ben P), Ave Maria Caccini (Tom C), Faithful Heart, The Fountain, Song of Life (Ralph Skan), Hymn to Mary (Isaac), In Paradisum (Rocco), Walking in the Air (Luca), Poor little Jesus, Sing Lullabye, Once An Angel, Sing for our world, Come my way (Daniel W),
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

The solo on"Sancte" is, according to all sources, Liam Connery. I've always been surprised that he wasn't featured more as a soloist, as this piece is magnificent. According to Libera Passion, these are all his solos and small-group support performances:

Liam Connery Solo/support in concert (with Libera)

"Libera" (St John's, Arundel, Leiden, Harrogate 2007, USA, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Torquay 2008, Spring Tour, Celtic Tour, Philippines 2009)
"Stay With Me" (déchant) (avec Ed Day (St John's, Arundel, Leiden, Harrogate 2007) ou avec Joe Snelling (USA, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Torquay 2008) ou avec Daniel Fontannaz (Spring Tour, Arundel 2009))
"Ave Verum" (avec Josh Madine, Tom Cully & Ed Day (Arundel, Harrogate 2007))
"Sancte" (Spring Tour, Arundel, Celtic Tour, Philippines 2009)
"Ave Maria" (Prizeman) (version1) (avec Ed Day (Celtic Tour (Belfast & Edimburgh) 2009))
"Kyrie" (avec Ralph Skan, Daniel Fontannaz & others (Guildford 2013))
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Yes but there is a video of Sancte with Tom Cully singing the solo...and it does not sound too different to my ear...

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:38 pm">2 months ago</span> The solo on"Sancte" is, according to all sources, Liam Connery. I've always been surprised that he wasn't featured more as a soloist, as this piece is magnificent.
That's because we had so many great soloists during that wonderful "golden age" in the mid- to late-00s.

61NI8fc+b8L._SL1050_.jpg
61NI8fc+b8L._SL1050_.jpg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
61NI8fc+b8L._SL1050_.jpg
61NI8fc+b8L._SL1050_.jpg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:09 pm">2 months ago</span> Yes but there is a video of Sancte with Tom Cully singing the solo...and it does not sound too different to my ear...

Liam Always performed it live in concert I am confident it was him in the album recording.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:41 am">2 months ago</span> Liam Always performed it live in concert I am confident it was him in the album recording.
The Libera Database also lists Liam as the album soloist.

https://liberaboyschoir.home.blog/2019/ ... m-connery/
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Tom Cully's voice was slightly "darker" (in a good way) than Liam's.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

So many fantastic songs and soloists over the many Libera albums made this a hard choice. I did not repeat songs/videos on both lists so I could include more of them. Enjoy!
My Videos
1. Kizuna Forever
Kizuna has become my favorite Libera song of all time. It has the perfect combination of: meaningful, uplifting lyrics; majestic music; a brilliant constellation of Libera soloist superstars; and filmed in a beautiful location.

2. Nearer my God to thee (live version no musical accompaniment)

3. In Paradisum (Rocco Tesei)

4. Salva Me (Liam O’Kane)
Sadly the video quality is not great, but, for me, this is the best version of this song.

5. Prayer (Lieden duet Tom Cully and Ed Day)

6. Wayfaring Stranger (Sam Wiggin)

7. Voca Me (Tom Delgado-Little)

8. Carol of the Bells (Luca Brugnoli and Cassius Collard)

9. Once an Angel (Victor Wiggin)

10. Cum Dederit (Dominik Clarke)

11. Eternal Light (Stefan Leadbeater and Ralph Skan)

My CD tracks

1. Angel (Isaac London)
2. Gaudete (Adam Harris) – this was the first Libera song I ever heard
3. Song of Life (Ralph Skan)
4. Libera (Liam Connery)
5. Far Away (Michael Horncastle)
6. Time (Joshua Madine and Ben Phillip)
7. Sing
8. Sanctus (Beyond version or Lieden version) I love all the versions but these are the best
9. Stabat Mater (Isaac London)
10. Ave Verum (Frederick Mushrafi) WOW!
11. You were there (Tom Cully)
12. Come my way (Daniel White)

Honorable mentions:
O Sanctissima – Ben Phillip
Lacrymosa – Alex Gula and Leo Barron
Ave Maria and Wexford Carol - Tadgh Fitzgerald
How shall I sing your majesty – Alessandro Mc Kinnon-Botti
O Beata – Mitchel Guy
Lux Aeterna – Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Vespera – Luca Brugnoli and Daniel Catalogna