2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: 2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Post by Padmachou »

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:38 pm">4 months ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am">4 months ago</span> Does anyone who has attended a Libera concert ever remember a boy singing a solo part, even a very small part, on his debut concert?
Luca B. in 2019 USA singing Poor Little Jesus.
Actually it was not Luca's first concert I think ?

But still, since 2017 the last words from Carol of the Bells have been sung twice by miniboys including Daniel White and Joseph Hill. I daresay they both became fantastic soloists indeed, let's have hopes for Caleb !

Edit : hhhhm what about Mitchel ? :lol: first concert he got a full solo on Smile. But he was older.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am">4 months ago</span> By the way, Sing Forever was sung. Nathan and Joseph performed it beautifully.
This concert? I don't remember it, nor see it on the programme. Sing for your world, I remember; but sing for ever, I don't.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

It would be a nice tradition to always have the youngest boy do the ding-dong. I also remember Daniel C. doing it one year when he was quite young.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Jack wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:23 pm">4 months ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am">4 months ago</span> By the way, Sing Forever was sung. Nathan and Joseph performed it beautifully.
This concert? I don't remember it, nor see it on the programme. Sing for your world, I remember; but sing for ever, I don't.
Beginning to second-guess my own memory now. I’ve just had it in my head that this song was performed last night.🤪

Below is Nathan performing the opening verse of From A Distance, which of course he did beautifully. He’s approaching his peak now I think.
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2909.jpeg (211.15 KiB) Viewed 9897 times
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2909.jpeg (211.15 KiB) Viewed 9897 times
Last edited by Mercurial909 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:06 pm">4 months ago</span> Okay so here goes my best recollection of Libera’s SJSS 2023 Christmas concert.
Thanks! Lots of changes it seems like (as is to be expected of course), but appreciate the detailed overview. :D Sounds like there are a few new soloists, though no new songs it would seem.

I was actually surprised by the inclusion of "Kizuna" because I had, in my own mind, bracketed the song as something exclusively for the Japanese market/audience, so it's cool that it was performed in London.

Glad to hear it was a good concert.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Jack wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:23 pm">4 months ago</span>
It wasn't sung on Saturday - whilst my memory is fading as I get older, I'm not yet ready for the nursing home :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So, just to have the set list on the thread for future reference.

1. Beati Quorum - Nathan and Pietro
2. Ding Dong Merrily On High
3 In the Bleak Midwinter - final verse Ben H
4. O Beata - Mitchel
5. Noel Nouvelet - Morgan with support by Ethan H
6. Total Praise - Joe, Thomas SH, Pietro
7. Kizuna - Morgan, Joseph
8. The Angel Gabriel - Pietro, Thomas M
9. The Lighthouse - Luca with Morgan, Daniel & Pietro joining at the end
10. Libera - Thomas SH, Lewis Q, Joe on high note finish
11. Veni Veni Emmanuel - Victor solo joined by all bigs with 'Gaude' calls by Thomas M
12. Carol of the Bells - Thomas M and Cameron on the solo parts, final line by Caled
13. Prayer - Joe
14. From a Distance - Nathan
15. Sing Lullaby - Cameron
16. Voca Me - High notes by Joe
17. Love Shine a Light - Oscar J, Morgan & Hal. Final line by Morgan
18. Once an Angel - Nathan, Frederick H
19. God Only Knows - Joe, Luca and Daniel W
20. Sing - Joe on high notes
Encore I saw Three Ships

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Jack wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:39 am">4 months ago</span> Also, can anyone name me the guitarist? He seemed familiar.
He should do, I believe it was Liam Connery :D

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

A seasonal cold snap meant that most people were deterred from arriving at St John’s Smith Square early, so there were only two of us as rehearsal’s started and we tried to be first to name the song from the little we could hear through the door. It was my first chance to hear the group since their Christmas concert at SJSS last year and there were many changes since the last one but I guess that is nothing new for us fans. Whilst we are sad that some of the older boys are no longer singing solos (although there some glorious exceptions as you know), the flip side is we get opportunities for some of the other boys to step forwards. And didn’t they just.

So many of the boys were impressive and really stood out. Opposite me for most of the concert was Nathan and he was spectacular, his voice being at its peak right now and it all seems to be so effortless for him. Let’s hope Caleb has some of his big brother’s magic too (and he took his opportunity on COTB with great aplomb). Joe was also on my side and he is really developing into a special performer with great confidence and technique and a great voice. Step forward Ben Hill who also seems to share his brother’s magic. Pietro had song after song that he shared the main parts on and very well he did too. As the third of the brother’s group, let’s hope that Federico gets his chance soon. Pietro is an example of how much you can miss with so much time between concerts because last year he featured on one song and now he smashed four out of the park. Last of the brothers but in no way least, is Freddie and Thomas. Again, Freddie was located in front of me on the right of the stage so I could hear him directly and he still has his voice. Not as high as it once was but certainly he still could still sing the lower Treble parts. I don’t think I can refer to Thomas as the little brother because he is already picking up a lot of major parts and sounds to be the equal of Freddie.

I started with the pairs of brothers because that was a nice new (for me) speech in the concert where they paired them up on stage but don’t think they were the only guys making their marks. Thomas SH picked up a lot of parts and was great, Mitchel was excellent on O Beata, Morgan and Ethan H on Noel Nouvelet both fantastic, as was Cameron. No Mitchel on Love Shine A Light? No problem. Oscar, Morgan and Hal covered it with ease. Finally, what of some of the previous major soloists? Well, Luca had far fewer solos than we have been used to but his voice is still their and it has a golden quality to it. His major song tonight was Lighthouse but, as you would expect, he was flawless. I actually think that Lighthouse is the best song he has done for Libera. It changes direction a few times, but Luca brings it together and sells the story with a lot of emotion and colour. It also seems like they just can’t retire Dan W. His Treble days are behind him, but he can still perform on stage and God Only Knows with Luca and Joe made me smile. Talking of retirement, Victor may be relegated to the back row with the ‘Bigs’, but I think my favourite song of the night was Veni Veni Emmanuel. I haven’t heard them sing it since Josh sang it at St Georges back in 2011 and it was one of the great tracks on that 2011 Christmas album (although sung by Daniel F on the album). I think Josh must have been 15 or 16 (#edit# he was 17!) back then so a bit older than Victor and from memory Josh’s was in a higher key but Victor’s voice was just as special in his new range and when the other ‘Bigs’ joined in it was #chef’s kiss#

I won’t have to wait for a year to hear them again this time fortunately and if I feel up to it I might post a full review after Arundel. See you in two weeks.

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Someone who follows Libera's trends more closely than I might be able to confirm this, but am I right in thinking that Libera is utilizing the lower voices more than in years past?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:13 pm">4 months ago</span> Someone who follows Libera's trends more closely than I might be able to confirm this, but am I right in thinking that Libera is utilizing the lower voices more than in years past?
I wouldn't say that is true. The backrow can fluctuate in number depending on how many older boys choose to stay on or if they are studying for exams at school. They have regularly performed songs at concerts, often at the start of the second half.

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:02 pm">4 months ago</span>
alcesalcesobservator wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:13 pm">4 months ago</span> Someone who follows Libera's trends more closely than I might be able to confirm this, but am I right in thinking that Libera is utilizing the lower voices more than in years past?

I wouldn't say that is true. The backrow can fluctuate in number depending on how many older boys choose to stay on or if they are studying for exams at school. They have regularly performed songs at concerts, often at the start of the second half.
I would add, mostly in the UK since the older boys are often too busy to go on tour. So Christmas concerts are usually a treat if you want to hear the lower voices !
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:48 pm">4 months ago</span> I won’t have to wait for a year to hear them again this time fortunately and if I feel up to it I might post a full review after Arundel. See you in two weeks.
Thank you for this review of the concert. The brother thing sounds like a really cool thing to do, and it does very much seem to me that they are using the non-trebles more than in times gone by for everything from speeches to their own little lower parts. Yes that always existed to some extent but it seems to have ramped up a notch; not a big notch certainly, but a notch all the same. Obviously having attended fewer concerts than you and some others I could very well be wrong about this but I have certainly gotten this impression from those I have attended and the reviews generally.

Looking forward to hearing how Arundel goes for everyone! So exciting to know the performance was enjoyable for everyone at SJSS. They might be in even better form in Arundel.
See above! I too have gotten that impression, though Yorkie is usually more observant and able to attend more concerts so my view on this may not be full accurate.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Okay, pic time…
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Caleb Slater
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Attachments
IMG_0195.jpeg