2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: 2023 - Two UK Concerts in December

Post by Padmachou »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:43 pm">4 months ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:48 pm">4 months ago</span> I won’t have to wait for a year to hear them again this time fortunately and if I feel up to it I might post a full review after Arundel. See you in two weeks.
Thank you for this review of the concert. The brother thing sounds like a really cool thing to do, and it does very much seem to me that they are using the non-trebles more than in times gone by for everything from speeches to their own little lower parts. Yes that always existed to some extent but it seems to have ramped up a notch; not a big notch certainly, but a notch all the same. Obviously having attended fewer concerts than you and some others I could very well be wrong about this but I have certainly gotten this impression from those I have attended and the reviews generally.

See above! I too have gotten that impression, though Yorkie is usually more observant and able to attend more concerts so my view on this may not be full accurate.
I think you are right that the big boys get more speeches and recognition during the speeches than they used to. For the singing I have already stated my mind :) Christmas concerts have always be a special time for the lower voices.
An other factor right now might be that some of the boys from the lower range have had Libera opportunities stolen from them during the pandemic... they might stick with the group a bit longer to enjoy it the most as long as they can ? Not sure this is how it feels for them, though.
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:02 pm">4 months ago</span>
Jack wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:23 pm">4 months ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am">4 months ago</span> By the way, Sing Forever was sung. Nathan and Joseph performed it beautifully.
This concert? I don't remember it, nor see it on the programme. Sing for your world, I remember; but sing for ever, I don't.
It wasn't sung on Saturday - whilst my memory is fading as I get older, I'm not yet ready for the nursing home :lol:
I might get old and forgetful as well... I keep thinking Wexford Carol was performed, but it was not :lol: I could swear it was so good, though !
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:43 pm">4 months ago</span>
I was actually surprised by the inclusion of "Kizuna" because I had, in my own mind, bracketed the song as something exclusively for the Japanese market/audience, so it's cool that it was performed in London.
Same here ! I would not have expected it in the UK, but here it is !

I will be back with my review as soon as possible !
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

My first Libera Christmas concert was in 2019 and my second was 2022. I'm surprised at the set list for SJSS 2023. Where is 'Wexford Carol', 'Walking in the Air', or 'Do you Hear'?

I'm looking forward to Arundel and I hope they swap some of the songs with more Christmas tunes. Some of these missing songs really put Libera on the radar come Christmas time. It would be great to hear them live again!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well, 2019 sure was special one, since they just got a new Christmas album, but not every Christmas concert is so full of Christmas songs. And thank god, in my opinion. Otherwise, since this is the only UK concert (and Europe concert) we are sure to get every year, we would not hear any other song. It just makes sense that they are singing their new songs as well. There have been 2 new albums since 2019 after all.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:18 pm">4 months ago</span> My first Libera Christmas concert was in 2019 and my second was 2022. I'm surprised at the set list for SJSS 2023. Where is 'Wexford Carol', 'Walking in the Air', or 'Do you Hear'?

I'm looking forward to Arundel and I hope they swap some of the songs with more Christmas tunes. Some of these missing songs really put Libera on the radar come Christmas time. It would be great to hear them live again!

I would hazard a guess and say the set list will be exactly the same.

The boys are incredibly busy in school and to change up a set list in 2 weeks seems quite impractical.
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:46 pm">4 months ago</span> Otherwise, since this is the only UK concert (and Europe concert) we are sure to get every year, we would not hear any other song.
Oh! That's a great point. I didn't realize they dont perform in the UK often.

I guess I am the lucky few who saw Freddie perform Ave Verum live twice (SJSS 2022 and USA 2023).

Going to a Libera concert every 6 months is really refreshing. No set is the same and each performance is different.

This set list makes more sense now.

I guess I tie my UK trip up with more of a traditional Christmas experience as to be expected. If UK must wait a full year for a concert, I see why.

But... Walking in the Air... at the very least, an excellent song to hear live!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:38 pm">4 months ago</span> But... Walking in the Air... at the very least, an excellent song to hear live!
Oh I sure would have loved to hear it again as well :D I am afraid we won't get to hear it anymore for a long time once Luca's voice breaks :(

So, here comes my review !

I did not get to hear the rehearsal this year. I was very tired when I arrived and seized the chance I had to nap at my hostel before attending the concert. It was freezing so I do not regret that choice. Plus, Yorkie provided us with the full concert setlist, so…

FIRST PART

I was a bit surprised with the concert beginning sort of in a hurry… The boys rushed on stage, the audience did not seem focused yet, I thought for a minute they would start without even playing the usual introduction recorded by Oscar J. But they played it while the boys stood on stage patiently. Though I have to say, both parts started a bit “weirdly” in my opinion and lacked a bit of mysterious atmospheric staging.

The first song was Beati Quorum, which I really like and is a good one to start a concert I guess. I enjoy hearing it and seeing it. They move a lot on stage, and at the end they get in half a circle, which gets them exactly where they need to be to…

Start Ding dong Merrily on High. Which is a Christmas must-have song. It really suits them, puts you in a good mood. I would love for “something” to happen on stage, but I guess it is too much asking as the song must be difficult enough.

Then there was a little speech by Theo (which I saw for the first time as Edward, Gabriele and Lewis) and Pietro, welcoming us. I think they did the usual joke about having surprises in their large sleeves. Theo looks super focused while talking or singing, it is cute. Might be the speech where Caleb was introduced as the youngest on stage ? He is 8 if I remember correctly.

Next was In the Bleak Midwinter, which I have been constantly playing in my head both before (I blame the weather) and after (I blame the outstanding performance) the concert. I was glad it was performed. I did not expect the excellent solo by Ben Hill. His voice is young but very strong, and there was meaning in the way he delivered it. Sort of like Joseph before… So I guess Ben might grow into a talented soloist like his brother. Loved it, best song of the first part in my opinion. Do not remember the staging…

… nor the transition to O Beata, except Mitchel standing in the middle, of course. I was a bit disappointed not to hear Cameron’s voice on this one (this happened only once in Japan I think ?), but it IS Mitchel’s song and he was fantastic. His voice, while lower, is still very bright. It was very moving and I like the fact that he gets to perform it while differently from the album. I also really like the chorus part, which reaches my heart and lifts me up. I wished I could have heard the song back when Mitchel still sang as a treble, but this one was just as special and moving.

Next was Noel Nouvelet, Morgan performing the introduction solo. He was in the middle front, with Ethan H not far. I think the rest of the boys were in half a circle. I really like his voice, but Victor really used to do quite the job with his French accent :) The second solo was Morgan and Ethan, but I was surprised that the high part was actually performed by Ethan, in a sort of counter-tenor range. It was really lovely.

The next song was Total Praise. The boys did a sort of triangle. At the top were Joseph H, and on each of his sides, Thomas SH and Pietro. Joseph started alone, then he was joined by the two other boys, then by the whole choir. I really like this piece, and I think Joseph’s rendition is my favorite so far. Right now he is doing most of the high notes with Nathan, and his voice is wonderful as well as his technique, you can tell he is comfortable within his range.
I am not sure whether it was after this one, but after some song he had a solo for, I spotted Joseph looking inside his hand intently, like, maybe, the order of the songs was written inside… ? Mysterious though funny.
Not sure if the speech was now or after the next song ? I remember Samuel doing a speech, but not exactly what he said.

Kizuna was a good surprise. I thought it would only be performed in Asia. Joseph and Morgan’s voices sound very well together. I like the lyrics of this song, it suits Libera. Also to me “Kizuna” sort of sums up what I find special about Libera and the way they carry their religious beliefs with and through all humankind. Though this song was a difficult time for me, trying to repress a cough. :lol:

Next was The Angel Gabriel, which I have also been humming since the concert. The intro was by Pietro, which sings in a gentle way a bit like Morgan, without opening his mouth a lot. I enjoyed Thomas M’s solo a lot, during the second half of the song. His voice is a special crystal-clear and moving one, and he now has it very steady.
I do not remember much about the staging. Though, it must be said : there were 38 boys on stage, which is a lot and does not give much space to move.

But of course for the Lighthouse Luca stood in the middle, the boys in 3 or 4 lines behind, deploying during the chorus part. Luca did not sing many solos, though his voice is still so smooth and beautiful. He sings a lot of 2nd treble parts now, but he could still sing 1rst treble. Apparently they are trying to record an other album and of course he has his own tours and concerts now, so he needs to preserve his voice. This piece was still a wonderful moment, and I am a bit disappointed we do not get to enjoy his solos more. At the end of the song, I think it was stated before on Libera Dreams that Luca was joined by Morgan, Daniel (still able to sing pretty high !) and Pietro, but I wonder if the 4rst one was not Freddie H ? I totally love this quatuor at the end. It was the best Lighthouse I have seen live so far.

Before Libera, Daniel and Lewis did the now famous speech about the “lovely white robes” (of course Daniel already had a spot on his) and the things monks would not have, like synthesize and percussions, and the seven different parts which they demonstrate. I wish everyone to get to hear it someday, it is enlightening.
Thomas SH and Lewis Q get to do the solo part on this one, joined by Joseph H for the very high notes at the end. It was great, though their microphones could have been a bit stronger. Classic song, I always love to hear it.

SECOND PART

The second part started in an even weirder way than the first. I don’t know if it was because they wanted the kids to go to bed early, but the interval was quite short, and the boys got on stage while half of the audience was not seated. With Steven, they waited silently for a minute or so, to give people time to find their seats. Then the boys bowed their heads, and the music started.

Victor did a solo on Veni, veni Emmanuel which was a “surprise” not listed on the program. He was at the back of the stage with the other big boys. Started with “Gaude”, then the lyrics. His deep voice is wonderful. Then all the big boys joined him, and Thomas M, front stage on the right with other boys, did high and very precise little “Gaude”. Then the whole choir joined them and suddenly the blue and discreet lights were very bright. It ended with powerful “Gaude” from Victor and Thomas. It was definitely a highlight, I feel so lucky to have been there for such a special moment. I could see Victor very well, too. The atmosphere was of a mystic and quiet Christmas time.

The music blended in Carol of the Bells, which was a genius moove in my opinion. You find out that everyone was already positioned for the song. The boys did not move as much as usual, and there was a little mayhem about when they were supposed to turn for a few boys, which made them smile and I was glad to see that they were laughing about it. The little solo “aaah” at the end were beautifully done by Thomas M and Cameron. Then little Caleb confidently walked from the left of the stage to the middle to deliver the final words. Very well done. I remember green lights on this one.

I was not particularly happy to see that The Prayer was on the setlist, having heard it many times, and it is not one of my favourites. Well, Joseph sure changed my mind ! He is impressive and (do I say that too often ?) very moving. I can’t describe exactly why, but he looks so sincere. Also I think it is around this moment I started hearing Freddie M’s voice very well. He was on the left side of the stage for the most part of the concert, and I could so clearly hear his fantastic changed yet still high voice. His voice is super powerful right now, he does not need a microphone to be heard. And he is so focused and expressive while singing. Even if not a soloist, I could not stop watching him and enjoying his presence just like he was enjoying been there. About the staging, I remember the boys kneeling at the start, but they stood around the middle of the song.

The speech by Hal and Oscar J was quite fun, and you have seen photos of it. They told us there were many pairs of brothers in Libera, 4 pairs on stage this night. They mentioned some of the boys had brothers who used to sing with Libera as well. Then they said Libera is like a family… so basically Steven or Sam are “elders”, Josh or Liam are “grandparents”, and some others like Tadhg or Ben B helping them backstage would be “the funny uncles”.

From a Distance was great. I was hoping to hear Nathan on this one, which has been performed during the tours. I was not disappointed. Nathan is having the best time of his life right now, everything seems so easy and smooth. You can see he enjoys himself while delivering the high notes. The harmonies on this song are great, and the lower voices did a great job.

How happy I was to see Cameron standing in the middle for Sing Lullaby ! For some time now, he has been ready to step up, doing small parts. Well, it was flawless and it was not easy to have a go with that song after Dominik. He sang in a very different style and made the song his own. I loved it. Quiet piece growing on me ever since the album got released. I hope Cameron will get other solos, his voice is very nice and very precise. The balance between the voices, and especially the lower voices and the high ones, was great.

Voca Me was soooooo ever special. I could not see Joseph doing the high notes, so I spent some time with my eyes closed, just enjoying the sound. 8) His vocalizes were flawless. My, my… this was amazing. Again, Freddie M has played a great part in the harmonies. They are everywhere on stage, like half-turned towards the audience. The sound seems to hover around and above...

There was a speech about Moose after that. I think they did the usual publicity about the Christmas presents you can buy from Libera.

Love shine a light was a nice one, starting with Hal, Morgan and Oscar J as a trio. I did not enjoy the trio particularly, but I was glad to get an opportunity to hear their voices. I would like to hear just one voice clearly and better, but maybe they need experience before they get to do solos on their own. I really loved the high notes around the end, by Joseph and Nathan. The last line was Morgan, very nice.

First time hearing Once an Angel by Nathan and Freddie H. They were up to the task. I really liked this version. I still can’t hear this song without thinking of Robert Prizeman. It was moving and touching.

God only knows was a “surprise”, not that I did not expect it to be performed. But from reading reviews I did not understand that Luca totally switched his part with the one that used to be Daniel’s. So, Joseph is doing the main part of the solo. I am glad I got to hear Daniel’s deep voice.

Oscar J did an awful speech after that :cry: I always know it’s going to be awful when he gets to do a speech all on his own. It means this is the end of the concert !!! Stop doing this Oscar ! With his “hello, it’s me again”, it is terrifying ! :oops: He also mentioned that there will be a new video of “Sing” with the Indonesian choir that originally sang “Nusantara”. Still wished us Merry Christmas, but he already had told us the terrible news of the concert ending… :mrgreen:

Sing is still wonderful to hear and see. The boys seem to be EVERYWHERE on stage, sometimes watching each other, sometimes facing the audience. They are very lively and they move (dance) a lot on this one. Lots of smiles, too.

The encore was I Saw Three Ships, nice one. They waved goodbye.

THE END

It was a wonderful concert, with many soloists. If some people were worried about Libera’s future when Daniel W, Freddie M, and Luca will not be soloists anymore… Well, rest assured, the Hill brothers are making it their choir. Morgan’s voice, as mentioned by someone before me, does not seem to be changing at all. And there are so many talents among these boys.
I missed Laurence D’s smile, but Pietro smiles a lot, as well as Lewis, Freddie H, Cory and Julian. You can’t see him so easily at the back but Victor W still Is the smile of Libera. Noticed Nathaniel BF smile a lot too.
I am ever so impressed they are able to perform so many songs perfectly and they always know where to go, what to do…
I was glad to see the older boys, the middle-aged ones :mrgreen: the young ones... There were no newbies on stage, but we noticed a few of them with the chaperone (4 or 5 ?).

Not sure if I forgot anything of matter. My highlights were In the Bleak Midwinter, Veni veni Emmanuel, and Sing Lullabye.
I really really hope there will be a Spring concert, because a full year between two concerts is WAY TOO MUCH.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:14 pm">4 months ago</span>
in2dwww wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:18 pm">4 months ago</span> My first Libera Christmas concert was in 2019 and my second was 2022. I'm surprised at the set list for SJSS 2023. Where is 'Wexford Carol', 'Walking in the Air', or 'Do you Hear'?

I would hazard a guess and say the set list will be exactly the same.

The boys are incredibly busy in school and to change up a set list in 2 weeks seems quite impractical.
And not forgetting they will also have to prepare for the busy advent services at St P's which will feature completely different repertoire.

There is less than a 1% chance that Arundel will differ unless someone becomes unavailable at the last minute due to illness.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:53 pm">4 months ago</span>

Well worth the wait, thank you for such detail and insight :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:38 pm">4 months ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:46 pm">4 months ago</span> Otherwise, since this is the only UK concert (and Europe concert) we are sure to get every year, we would not hear any other song.
Oh! That's a great point. I didn't realize they dont perform in the UK often.

I guess I am the lucky few who saw Freddie perform Ave Verum live twice (SJSS 2022 and USA 2023).

Going to a Libera concert every 6 months is really refreshing. No set is the same and each performance is different.

This set list makes more sense now.

I guess I tie my UK trip up with more of a traditional Christmas experience as to be expected. If UK must wait a full year for a concert, I see why.

But... Walking in the Air... at the very least, an excellent song to hear live!

Could be that with Luca being at the onset of his voice maturing, songs that he had been trusted with have been parked until one of the younger boys is ready to perform it.

I would love to have heard “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” (perfect of the likes of Tom M, Freddie H and Hal), “Still, Still, Still” for the whole choir, giving the Bigs a chance to shine too, and I would love to have heard Sanctus live. The set did lack a more Christmassy vibe. Glad I got to see the last of the 2016 intake (Victor, Matty, Nathaniel) perform, though. 🥹
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:50 pm">4 months ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:53 pm">4 months ago</span>

Well worth the wait, thank you for such detail and insight :D
I second this! :D

Thank you for the detailed review which is so well written. So many changes, so many highlights...wow!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Excellent reviews! Thanks for your efforts.
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

Does anyone have a spare ticket to Arundel? I only bought 2 and now I need a 3rd for Dec 16. We are visiting from USA. Thanks!
LordG

Post by LordG »

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:34 pm">4 months ago</span> Does anyone have a spare ticket to Arundel? I only bought 2 and now I need a 3rd for Dec 16. We are visiting from USA. Thanks!
I have one ticket in the second row. If you are interested, just send me a PM.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I still have 2 tickets available second row if anybody is looking still.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Wishing everyone present in Arundel a great concert (it will be great, no doubt). Hopefully, some details will find its way into the forum :D !
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!