Oldest treble voices of Libera

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Oldest treble voices of Libera

Post by bachmahlerfan »

This started to come up in another topic, but I wanted to discuss it further without going off-topic. I know that Ben Crawley had to be at least 15 when recording the solos in the "Free" album. The hard part is figuring out when exactly the recordings were done. I also don't know how many live concerts they did during Ben's late treble period. I know that Daniel Fontannaz was 15 and still a treble soloist when Libera went on its 2011 USA Summer tour, as well as for his "Veni, Veni Emmanuel" solo on the Christmas album. I'm not sure if Liam O'Kane made it to his 15th birthday as a treble, but he had to come pretty close. Of course, there are plenty who were still going strong as trebles at 14 years old (Dominik and Victor for example).
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Oldest treble voices of Libera

Post by Surpinto »

14 year old trebles can be a rare breed, but they certainly aren't unheard of. Once you get into 15 and 16 then it become highly unusual. I think Ben Crawley was 16 and doing treble stuff with Libera if I'm not mistaken, but I could be wrong.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Pretty sure Josh was 14-15 when he recorded “Time” and “Lullaby (Goodnight My Angel)”, and possibly “Coventry Carol”.
He performed Time live while on tour in Japan in 2009, AND he did descants for the recording of “Deep Peace” in which Stefan Leadbeater and James Threadgill sang the solo parts, circa 2009-10.

Dominik was singing treble right up until a few months before his 15th birthday.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Dom is half Polish and Polish choristers can remain trebles well into their 15th year.
Last edited by Luckdragon on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Singing at 14/15/16 doesn't necessarily = singing as a Treble though does it. They may be singing in a lower/alto range and most people (me) wouldn't have a clue.

I can say though that I was there when Josh sang Faithful Heart in July 2012. Couldn't say if he did so as a Treble mind you.

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:30 pm">10 months ago</span> Singing at 14/15/16 doesn't necessarily = singing as a Treble though does it. They may be singing in a lower/alto range and most people (me) wouldn't have a clue.

I can say though that I was there when Josh sang Faithful Heart in July 2012. Couldn't say if he did so as a Treble mind you.
Well, I would say that Josh's voice for those last couple solo recordings was not a true treble voice, but something else. With Ben C. and Daniel F. however, those were legitimate treble voices.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:55 pm">10 months ago</span> Well, I would say that Josh's voice for those last couple solo recordings was not a true treble voice, but something else.
Even to this day, his voice seems to defy classification. Is there something between tenor and alto?
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:17 pm">10 months ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:55 pm">10 months ago</span> Well, I would say that Josh's voice for those last couple solo recordings was not a true treble voice, but something else.
Even to this day, his voice seems to defy classification. Is there something between tenor and alto?
Countertenor? Which is where Freddie M’s and Laurence D’s voices appear to be right now (Autumn 2023).