Ave Verum

Talk about Libera Videos, Movies and Photos here.

Moderator: Moderators

seraphita
Silver Member

Ave Verum

Post by seraphita »

Ave Verum by Albinoni (Adagio in G Minor)

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: Ave Verum

Post by theriverflowson »

Thanks for sharing :D

The video was filmed during the October Half Term 2022. Has anyone already identified the location? This evokes great memories from last year's Christmas concert, Freddie just blew my mind with his performance :shock: Even though the "surprise effect" necessarily is missing this time (at least for those who attended the concert), it is great to have this video now and be able to watch it again and again :D

I like the intimate setting. The scene with the choir standing behind the musicians gave me goosebumps. :o My only point of critisism: too many fade effects for my taste.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:07 pm">10 months ago</span>The video was filmed during the October Half Term 2022.

Has anyone already identified the location?

It was filmed at St. Mary's Church, Beddington Park.
It's located just 6 Km South of St. Philips.

More infos on this blog found on Google: https://mycandles.blogspot.com/2018/12/ ... ittle.html
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:12 pm">10 months ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:07 pm">10 months ago</span>The video was filmed during the October Half Term 2022.

Has anyone already identified the location?

It was filmed at St. Mary's Church, Beddington Park.
It's located just 6 Km South of St. Philips.

More infos on this blog found on Google: https://mycandles.blogspot.com/2018/12/ ... ittle.html
Damn, quick work, I was just about to post that! Although, nice of them to leave a church banner in the background. :wink:

But what about the main altar scene? That appears to be a different church.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:16 pm">10 months ago</span>But what about the main altar scene? That appears to be a different church.
I think St Mary's Church, Beddington, is the right church.

Left is a print screen taken from the Libera video
Right is a photo from the blog I mentioned above.

(click to enlarge)

Seems pretty the same :)
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:36 pm">10 months ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:16 pm">10 months ago</span>But what about the main altar scene? That appears to be a different church.
I think St Mary's Church, Beddington, is the right church.

Left is a print screen taken from the Libera video
Right is a photo from the blog I mentioned above.

(click to enlarge)

Seems pretty the same :)
Yes, that one is correct, I am not questioning you on that! (You were just faster :P ) I found the same answer!

I mean this one which appears later in the video:
AveVerumChurch2.jpg
AveVerumChurch2.jpg (639.43 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
AveVerumChurch2.jpg
AveVerumChurch2.jpg (639.43 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:40 pm">10 months ago</span> Yes, that one is correct, I am not questioning you on that! (You were just faster :P ) I found the same answer!

AveVerumChurch2.jpg
This second church is the Church of St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3795152

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:56 pm">10 months ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:40 pm">10 months ago</span> Yes, that one is correct, I am not questioning you on that! (You were just faster :P ) I found the same answer!

AveVerumChurch2.jpg
It's the Church of St Thomas the Martyr, Winchelsea, East Sussex

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3795152
Wow! That's impressive! May I ask how you knew that/worked it out?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Submitted the large stained glass to Google lens.
The 1st result was the right one :)
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:06 pm">10 months ago</span> Submitted the large stained glass to Google lens.
The 1st result was the right one :)
Nicely done! And yes, I see the organ in the blended shot matches to that church too! Good work. :wink:

Edit: OMG Spike Milligan is buried in that churchyard in Winchelsea! And it even has "I told you I was ill" in Gaelic on his gravestone. :lol: Well, then there's two reasons to visit!
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:46 pm">10 months ago</span> The song is amazing and the music video is definitely a good one, but with that being said I do have a fairly serious criticism of the videography here. Although I'm by no means knowledgeable in video editing, and typically don't try and criticize artistic choices which are obviously an expression of someone's artistic vision, I found it a bit jarring that there were so many shots where two video frames were being overlapped. It seemed to me that these overlapping shots weren't just used as a transition or to accompany the melody, but were the majority of the video, and it just didn't seem like it worked here. I think it worked better on “Cum Dederit” because of the lighting and main camera focus on Dominik in many of those overlapping shots, whereas here you have overlaps of multiple angles of the choir, or the orchestra, and nothing ever seems in focus.
The excessive use of the overlapping was seriously distracting at points, especially those where Freddie was the solo face/voice. I also feel like the second church was too well lit, but given the cool connection at the church, as I stated above, I can't complain too loudly. Perhaps I'm just nit-picking because the first performance of the song was so special I'm expecting everything else to be at the same stratospheric level. At the end of the day it's still a nice showcase for a stunning song.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

I have no complaints about anything in that video because I’m too busy be overwhelmed by the beauty of the music and the singing - and Freddie’s stunning vocals.

He has well and truly gatecrashed my top 3 Libera favs with this one track. But it also makes me sad that he’s one of those choralists who came in to Libera at a time when there were a number of established soloists, and by the time they moved to the Bigs or aged out, Freddie’s time to shine was already running out.

If you’ve seen the video for “Love Shine a Light” and you compare it to Ave Verum there’s about a 5-6 month gap between the videos, but look at Freddie - huge growth spurt, and very little chance of him still having his treble vocals by Christmas this year. So we’ve missed out on his prodigious talent purely because he missed the generational shift.

Same sort of thing happened to Matt Jansen and Dylan Duffy who came in while Ralph and Stefan were dominating the soloing. And Camden Stewart and Alex Montoro had to wait until Isaac’s generation aged out, which didn’t give them long either.

So now I’ll be forever wondering what Freddie would’ve been able to achieve had he been given more time.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

There is an embarrassment of riches in both of FM's choirs currently, which must make it difficult for those involved to pick soloists, because every time you pick one you are excluding many other fabulous voices! Freddie's voice was showing signs of his development back in March of last year with a fantastic rendition of "Ich folge dir gleichfalls" in the St John Passion, so I knew he had potential to sing a great aria/operatic style piece. But I still never expected the magnificence of Ave Verum... :shock:

Yes, he's got tall very quickly. Unlike DW, who I always felt would have a more gradual slide into alto and beyond, with FM, I'm not sure. He was firmly a treble a few weeks ago though, so fingers crossed for the US fans!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:55 am">10 months ago</span> Yes, he's got tall very quickly. Unlike DW, who I always felt would have a more gradual slide into alto and beyond, with FM, I'm not sure. He was firmly a treble a few weeks ago though, so fingers crossed for the US fans!
From what I've seen, changes in height don't necessarily equate to changes in the voice. Ben Crawley was still a treble while reaching over six feet tall I believe. You also have the more recent case of Archie White outside of Libera. On the flip side, Taichi and Koji's voices changed relatively early despite their short stature. I guess we'll find out soon.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:50 pm">10 months ago</span> From what I've seen, changes in height don't necessarily equate to changes in the voice. Ben Crawley was still a treble while reaching over six feet tall I believe. You also have the more recent case of Archie White. I guess we'll find out soon.
No, that's true. Although Archie is exceptional in that regard, not only his height but his age too, considering he has just finished his first year of A levels. Archie has a deeper speaking voice and says he can sing with that deeper voice too, it's just not that good yet, so he has stuck to his treble voice while he still can.

Speculating on when a voice change will happen is actually a bit pointless because it doesn't change the outcome. Unless you get hints of the treble voice going, like with Aksel Rykkvin, and can rush over to an opera to hear him before it goes. :roll: But the concert opportunities for FM are there, we know when they are, and as with everything, there is always an element of luck in who or what you get. I've been to musicals in the past with a big name on the billing only to get the understudy, that's just the nature of performance!

I'm happy I've heard Freddie sing it once, and if I never hear him sing it again, I will always have the memory of that one. And at least they recorded this one for the album and the above video. Think of all those exceptional concert performances that have just vanished into the memories of the audience, never to be heard again! :o

As far as opportunities to hear trebles goes: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero!