Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Malakai Bayoh

Post by Luckdragon »

Malakai's semi-final performance:

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 pm">11 months ago</span> Malakai's semi-final performance:

I would rather hear a woman sing that aria, but I hope the best for Malakai nonetheless.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Malakai is through to the final!

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

It wasn't that great from my perspective. I didn't find it engaging at all, not like his Pie Jesu. He won through deservedly, because clearly his voice is superb, but there's no way he would have won the final with that song.

I tried to think of things he could sing and failed miserably when trying to work through how an audience might react. So, I totally get it's a immensely difficult task to choose the right song, but today didn't do it for me.

Sat next to his mother 1.5 years ago and even back then I told her I thought he was fantastic.

Fingers crossed it all aligns on Sunday!

Got his autograph in December, even before he went viral with Classic FM. #calledit #IknowagoodtreblewhenIhearone

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 pm">11 months ago</span> Someone should tell them there is a singer from Malakai's choir who is equally good.
At least with regards to CVMS, I'm afraid, you will have to be more specific! :lol: (no clue about singers in his other choir, St Georges, Southwark)
Last edited by Celtic on Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:57 pm">11 months ago</span> It wasn't that great from my perspective. I didn't find it engaging at all, not like his Pie Jesu. He won through deservedly, because clearly his voice is superb, but there's no way he would have won the final with that song.

I tried to think of things he could sing and failed miserably when trying to work through how an audience might react. So, I totally get it's a immensely difficult task to choose the right song, but today didn't do it for me.

Sat next to his mother 1.5 years ago and even back then I told her I thought he was fantastic.

Finger's crossed it all aligns on Sunday!

Got his autograph in December, even before he went viral with Classic FM. #calledit #IknowagoodtreblewhenIhearone

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 pm">11 months ago</span> Someone should tell them there is a singer from Malakai's choir who is equally good.
At least with regards to CVMS, I'm afraid, you will have to be more specific! :lol: (no clue about singers in his other choir, St Georges, Southwark)
I was thinking of Kaelan specifically. I haven't heard as much of him as you and others who live over there, but what I have heard online sounded just as good. I agree that the "Pie Jesu" performance was a lot better. He seemed more nervous this time, and the aria is more geared towards the adult female voice.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:04 pm">11 months ago</span> I was thinking of Kaelan specifically. I haven't heard as much of him as you and others who live over there, but what I have heard online sounded just as good. I agree that the "Pie Jesu" performance was a lot better. He seemed more nervous this time, and the aria is more geared towards the adult female voice.
Yes, Kaelan is fantastic, I was sat behind his parents last week who filmed him extensively despite the professional recording, lol.

But in terms of operatic voices in CVMS, FM is also pretty spectacular, his solo in last week's opening Mendelssohn was far too short, but still showed how spectacular his voice can be...

and of course, don't get me started on DW. He doesn't just sing emotional Libera fare, you know...

As for Malakai, I would rather have had one of his Alcina aria's or maybe "Ode For The Birthday Of Queen Anne", or is that perhaps too abstract to win BGT?
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

seraphita wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:15 pm">10 months ago</span>
Backup singers from the Schola? Would that be allowed? Could be epic, if so.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:53 pm">10 months ago</span>
seraphita wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:15 pm">10 months ago</span>
Backup singers from the Schola? Would that be allowed? Could be epic, if so.
You called it!! :D

Never voted in BGT or its ilk before... but have made an exception for Malakai. He has my five votes. :)

Edit: oh well... he did great and I'd be immensely surprised if there isn't a record deal coming his way very soon...
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

No surprise really. Remember when Libera lost "When Will I Be Famous" to a human slinky? The British Public are bonkers.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:12 pm">10 months ago</span> No surprise really. Remember when Libera lost "When Will I Be Famous" to a human slinky? The British Public are bonkers.
I really enjoyed his singing today, I thought it was great. On the other hand, to the British Public in general, I don't think it was really the right song choice.

Also, not completely sure that was entirely the Schola in the background? They were a bit blurry and I could only recognise a handful of faces... LQ unmistakable as always though. :)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:33 pm">10 months ago</span> Edit: oh well... he did great and I'd be immensely surprised if there isn't a record deal coming his way very soon...
They'd better hurry. I think he just turned 14. His biological clock is ticking.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi