Forever (Spring 2023)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Forever (Spring 2023)

Post by Surpinto »

Well it's clear you were a literary student as your review could easily have had its proper place in a formal music periodical of some sort :D The details you provide, your analysis of the album, comparisons to previous songs/albums, and insights into the overall theme of the album (including those we have since gained through interviews or otherwise), definitely add richness to the critique of each song generally and to the album as a whole.

The album itself is a wonderful tribute to Robert; this is in terms of including his unfinished pieces as well as songs dedicated explicitly to him as we found out from interviews with the songwriters. It's incredible to me how his solo project of creating a crossover boy choir group in the 1980’s has whole generations of former choristers now writing songs for the choir, directing the choir, and recording the choir. Quite a number are in music themselves either professionally or as a hobby. It's not so much that the album is a tribute to his legacy, but more so those in Libera and behind the album are a living legacy in a way that the album merely reflects and exemplifies.

Anyway, I think I like many of your opinions about the song but I'm not articulate enough to phrase my own quite that way as my reviews tend to be far more subjective and less colorful. So thank you so much for your excellent review! :D
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you so much for sharing this review Cat-a-tonic ! :D
I particularly enjoyed the full page about Kizuna :lol: I am a huge Dr Who fan, though I never thought of it while listening to the song... but now I will thanks to you !

Cat-a-tonic wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:48 pm">9 months ago</span>At Sea [...]These voices sound like one to a part (don’t know what anyone else thinks) in which case I’m surprised the individuals aren’t credited, given that the rest of the album is very assiduous about crediting its part solos eg Lighthouse. I’m pretty sure I can hear Daniel here and Luca I think. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I hear Daniel and Luca as well, and I would add Joseph.
Cat-a-tonic wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:48 pm">9 months ago</span>Overall thoughts – This album has a fresh feel to it while still keeping well within the Libera tradition. To me it feels a little lighter, less heavyweight and solemn than the last one
Oh yeah, I did not realize so far, but I would so often burst into tears while listening to the last one, this one IS refreshing ! And yet the loss of RP is written all over the walls. I guess there is a lot of hope and solidarity from the boys and former boys.

These last days I found myself listening to the album and wondering who will sing the solo parts during the USA tour, since Daniel's voice changed for example. I decided "Come My Way" by Freddie would be intense, but Joseph could be great choice too, or maybe Nathan. "God Only Knows", I would love to hear Luca & Nathan or Mitchel. Not sure Victor can still do his little solo, maybe Daniel will do it ?

My bet would be that Freddie is gonna get more solos, since he is at the peak of his voice right now. Luca, Joseph, Nathan and Mitchel sure will get solos as well. I hope we will get to hear Morgan, Thomas M and Laurence D, maybe Ethan H ? It would be good to see some of the young ones step up. It sure is going to be a frustrating tour for me, because I get very jealous when the attendance get to hear new voices on new solos :D And I will have to wait until December...
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

I received my CD late in July. It has taken me a long time to write my review. I have refrained from reading any of your reviews. I want to get my own impressions before I read yours. Here it is.

Beati Quorum
Music and Lyrics Raoul Newmann
Solos: Nathan Slater, Luke Batteson-Dalpiaz

This will be a great song to start a concert with energy. Raoul Newmann, a former Libera singer himself, has composed a beautiful song in the spirit of Robert Prizeman. Raoul combines Latin and English lyrics in a prayer like song, with glorious multi-layered harmonies. The Libera boys perform flawlessly their scintillating, soaring harmonies at a fast pace. Towards the end, the low voiced Libera boys have their chance to show off their new, amazing, tenor/bass voices. It ends with a great Libera finale. I love it!

God only Knows
Music by Brian Wilson and Tony Asher
Solos: Luca Brugnoli, Daniel White, Victor Wiggin

Sam Coates mentioned that this song showcases the boy’s voices beautifully. I agree. The video is fun. It shows Luca Brugnoli, Daniel White, and Victor Wiggin doing their solos while they show the boys in the Korean tour and doing fun activities. At the end we hear the boys singing in the bus, unedited. Their voices are wonderful and need no mechanical enhancement. Luca Brugnoli solo is first. His dazzling, amazing voice is perfect for this pop song. I think he excels in pop songs. Daniel White’s voice is smooth, rich, and spectacular. This is his best performance yet. His voice is slightly lower. Daniel was much smaller when he did Come my way (as seen in the introduction video). Victor Wiggin has a very short solo in his velvety tenor voice. The choral harmonies in between solos are fantastic. I have to say, the lyrics are completely inappropriate for such young boys. I think the lyrics are horrible, talking about suicide (see below). If the singing was not this awesome, I would not listen to it. But, of course, their singing is quite extraordinary in this awful song.

If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

God only knows - Libera

Far Away
Music: Takatsugu Muramatsu Lyrics: Robert Prizeman
Solo: Luca Brugnoli

This is an old Muramatsu/Prizeman masterpiece sang first by Michael Horncastle, then by Ben Phillip and Ralph Skan (see below). Luca Brugnoli is out of his depth on this song. Although he can reach all the notes, he cannot sustain them. He breathes after a few words instead of completing the phrase. It could be his voice is changing, but I suspect he is more comfortable with less classic songs. Luca has a fantastic voice and is very talented. See below an example of how Luca excels in a different kind of music setting.

Luca Brugnoli duets with Dominic Ferris - When you believe

Far away – Michael Horncastle

Far away – Ben Phillip, Ralph Skan

Ave Verum
Music: Tomaro Albinoni, Remo Giazotto Lyrics: Pope Innocent VI
Solo: Frederick Mushrafi

Wow! What a spectacular solo by Frederick Mushrafi (Freddy)! This is another classical piece in the spirit of Cum Dederit but without the extremely long notes. Freddy is flawless in his performance of this very difficult song in Latin. His soaring high notes are breathtaking. The orchestral accompaniment is beautiful. More Freddy solos please! See the powerful lyrics translated below.

The English words are: Hail, true Body, born of the Virgin Mary, having truly suffered, sacrificed on the cross for mankind, from whose pierced side water and blood flowed. Be for us a sweet foretaste in the trial of death! O sweet Jesus, O holy Jesus, O Jesus, son of Mary, have mercy on me. Amen

The Lighthouse
Music and Lyrics by Joshua Madine
Solos: Luca Brugnoli, Morgan Wiltshire, Daniel White, Victor Wiggin

Luca Brugnoli sounds great in pop like songs. This song suits his voice better than Libera’s well known “classics”. Luca’s performance is delightful. The choral parts are beautiful. I did not really catch any of the other listed soloists. The last solo part is just too weird for me. The video is very interesting and looks like the Libera boys had a lot of fun at the beach. I liked Joshua Madine’s lyrics but the musical arrangement is just not for me. Here is a song cover Luca did which I really like.

The lighthouse

Rise up – Luca Brugnoli cover

O Beata Trinitas
Music and Lyrics by Robert Prizeman
Solos: Mitchel Guy, Victor Wiggin

Mitchel Guy is outstanding. The lyrics are simple but the harmonies are quite complex. Sam Coates probably completed this song, Robert Prizeman’s last masterpiece. I am glad Libera has very talented soloists like Mitchel ready to take over when Daniel White, Luca Brugnoli, and Freddy Mushrafi can no longer sing the high noted songs (due to their coming voice changes at 14 years old)! Of course, the Libera harmonies are gorgeous and it has a powerful Libera finale. The lyrics are a simple prayer. See below.

O blessed, blessed and glorious Trinity, O Father, Son, O Holy Spirit.
Alleluia
O true and supreme and eternal Trinity, O Father, Son, O Holy Spirit.
Alleluia

Anima Christi
Music: Marco Frosina
Solos: Joseph Hill, Frederick Mushrafi, Luca Brugnoli

I love the English version of this prayer but I had never heard it sung. I am grateful that Libera made this gorgeous chant like version of it with minimal musical accompaniment. The first soloist, maybe Joseph Hill, has a pure shinning voice with superb voice control and sharp, clear pronunciation. The second soloist, maybe Freddy Mushrafi, sounds breathy. It is hard to understand the words he is singing. Even though his voice is beautiful it sounds like the notes are too difficult for him. The last solo is maybe Luca Brugnoli. His voice is majestic. This is a soothing, prayerful, song performed with the glorious voices of all the Libera boys. I love it! Sorry if I got the soloists wrong.

Come my Way
Music: Robert Prizeman, Sam Coates Lyrics: George Herbert, Robert Prizeman
Solo: Daniel White

What can I say about Daniel White that has not been said before? Since the first time I heard him sing live in 2018, I had been stunned by his magnificent voice. He has only gotten better with time. He is even more confident in his abilities than before (that is saying something) and he seems so happy when doing his solos. As his voice deepens it has gotten richer and smoother. The multi-layered harmonies that follow Daniel’s excellent solo create a spellbinding effect as the voices soar. This is a soft, gentle, soothing song. The lyrics are a prayer for God’s protection from all that causes us sorrow or fear. It is possible we will not see this song performed live by Daniel since he is getting very close to a voice change. I hope Sam Coates lets Daniel sing/record tenor voiced solos in the future.

At Sea

Great song by Joshua Madine. Frederick Mushsrafi sings almost by himself for most of the song. His voice is mysterious and bright. He sounds very different from other solos he has done. There is a harmony that is not credited. I seems to me it has no ending. It leaves you hanging, no great Libera finale.

Sing for Ever
Music and Lyrics by Robert Prizeman
Solos: Joseph Hill, Nathan Slater

This song has been part of the Libera repertoire for a very long time. Joseph Hill sings with a clear, shining, amazing voice. He carries the melody for most of the song. Nathan Slater has a very short solo but his voice is kind of breathy and tentative. Joseph takes over for the rest of the song. The key change towards the end is sharp and has new high harmonies. It is hard to follow in the footsteps of the Libera greats, but Joseph made this song his own. We can expect many more superb performances from him. See below the original soloist Ben Crawley.

Sing Forever – Ben Crawley

Be still my soul
Music: Finlandia by Jean Sibelious
Solos: Joseph Hill, Morgan Wiltshire, Frederick Howarth

This beautiful hymn is always spellbinding when Libera performs it. The breathtaking layers of harmonies make it a Libera classic. I can clearly hear the low voices harmonies. Great job on the high descants! This high voice descant was previously done by Libera great Thomas Delgado-Little. Hear his version below.

Be still my soul – Thomas Delgado-Little

A Grateful Heart
Music: Mary Plumbstead Lyrics: George Herbert
Solos: Luca Brugnoli, Daniel White

Luca Brugnoli is amazing, singing this song by himself. He handles all the changes in the notes flawlessly. Luca has exceptional tone and clear, bright notes. I actually, like Luca’s version better than the original Liam O’Kane (don’t hate me). Although Daniel White is credited, he is doing the faint harmony only.

Grateful Heart - Liam O’Kane

Love Shine a Light
Music and Lyrics by Kimberley Rew
Solo: Mitchel Guy

Michel Guy starts with a short, amazing solo. His voice is soft but powerful. Mitchel starts almost on an alto voice and goes all the way to a second soprano. It is possible he can still do high notes but not for long. Since the first time I listened to the song, I liked it. The lyrics are a simple repetition of one phrase. They sing “and we’re all gonna shine a light together’, with shimmering, beautiful harmonies and it is like I can feel the words. It is a happy, delightful song. I know is a cover for a pop song but of course, Libera makes every song better. It stayed running in my head for days. Great job Mitchel! The video is great too. See the original performance below and compare. Libera is so much better!!!

Love shine a light - Libera

Love shine a light – Katrina and the Waves

Kizuna - Forever
Music: Takatsugu Muramatsu Lyrics: Sam Coates
Solos: Joseph Hill and Morgan Wiltshire

Joseph Hill starts alone with his gorgeous, controlled, slightly vibrato voice. Morgan Wilshire comes next with his gentle, sweet, shining voice. Then comes the choral part with the dazzling, soaring, breathtaking harmonies. Joseph has an exceptional high note solo. Next is the brilliant duet with Joseph and Morgan. The key change that follows brings the majestic voices to a spectacular ending (I get chills every time I listen to it). Joseph ends with ‘the ties that bind’. This is just one of many Muramatsu collaborations with Libera with Angel (solo by Isaac London), Song of Life (solo by Ralph Skan) and Far Away (solo by Michael Horncastle), all of them on my top favorites. The lyrics by Sam Coates are sensational. They are meaningful, hopeful, beautiful, and uplifting. They portray perfectly the spirit of Libera. Bravo Sam! I am doing my review off the video which was done at a beach. The photography is stunning and shows the natural beauty of the location and the happy faces of the boys playing at the beach. Outstanding performance by Libera. This is my favorite song in this album. Sadly, it is not in the CDI ordered.

Kizuna

This is the Luca Brugnoli and Joseph Hill’s Libera album, just like IF was Luca Brugnoli and Dominik Clarke’s Libera album. But we also have what could be the last solo performances for Daniel White, Frederick Mushrafi, and maybe Luca Brugnoli because of their coming voice changes. Lucky for us fans, Victor Wiggin is still in Libera, enjoying his new tenor voice. And we have many extremely talented younger boys that are ready to take on all the solos like: Joseph Hill, Mitchel Guy, Morgan Wiltshire, and Nathan Slater. Maybe, we will soon see a Libera boy who is a son of a Libera boy who is now an adult. That would be an awesome Libera legacy!

Thank you Sam Coates, Steven Geraghty, Joshua Madine, and Raoul Newman for keeping the spirit of Robert Prizeman in the songs you compose and direct for Libera. You were talented Libera singers yourselves and are now gifted composers and directors.

Thank you to all the Libera parents for sharing your son’s gifted voices with us.

Thank you Libera boys for another spectacular album!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:44 am">9 months ago</span> I received my CD late in July. It has taken me a long time to write my review. I have refrained from reading any of your reviews. I want to get my own impressions before I read yours. Here it is.
This was a good and detailed review, always interesting to hear how others experience songs similarly to, or differently from, myself! Though I must respectfully disagree with you about Luca on “Far Away” :)

I don't think that he has trouble sustaining the notes, or that he's better, per se, on pop songs. I didn't hear any such issues in concert with him on “Ave Maria”. I just think that his voice is different from the previous soloists who have sung this particular piece. He also sings in a higher register, and thus has a wider range, than all of the other soloists who have ever done this song. In other words, his voice and vocal abilities differ from those prior. For this reason we should expect a slightly different take on it and with a different intonation.

I don't say this just to defend him because I'm definitely not some sort of diehard Luca fanboy such that he can do no wrong :lol:, but because I genuinely think he has a different voice than the others we are comparing him to. With that being said, I do hear what you're saying about sustaining notes and so forth and I'm not sure that this is so much a deficiency on the part of either Luca or of the recording, but instead is a natural variation from one recording to the next. We've already seen changes in the arrangement/score/whatever of some of these songs such as “Be Still My Soul” where from about 2:37 to 2:50 you hear a more prominent lower emphasis (which to my untrained ear sounds like a score change to a more minor key (maybe?) rather than just a difference in the recording and mixing of the song).

Regardless of our disagreement on this point I think your review is very detailed and the comparisons with previous soloists, as well as the links, were very helpful in your review; in fact it made reading your review all the more enjoyable as I await the next U.S. tour concert :D
Cat-a-tonic

Post by Cat-a-tonic »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:14 pm">9 months ago</span>
I particularly enjoyed the full page about Kizuna :lol: I am a huge Dr Who fan, though I never thought of it while listening to the song... but now I will thanks to you !

You're welcome! :lol: I hope that is a positive!

Thank you to you and Surpinto for your lovely comments.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:44 am">9 months ago</span>

At Sea

Great song by Joshua Madine. Frederick Mushsrafi sings almost by himself for most of the song. His voice is mysterious and bright. He sounds very different from other solos he has done. There is a harmony that is not credited. I seems to me it has no ending. It leaves you hanging, no great Libera finale.

Can anyone supply the words to this song? I can only catch a few of them.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:10 pm">8 months ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:44 am">9 months ago</span>

At Sea

Can anyone supply the words to this song? I can only catch a few of them.
https://libera.org.uk/music/forever/

Click the little icon that looks like a sheet of paper next to any song and you get the full lyrics. :D
Now find we all at sea,
short a compass, suddenly;
Out on the water, far from home,
wandering further to the unknown
Call out to escort us, call out to me.
Call out to support us, call out to me.

Now find we ill at ease,
less a rudder, drawn on the breeze;
Charting a course not travelled before,
wondering when we’ll find the shore.
Call out to escort us, call out to me.
Call out to support us, call out to me.

Now find we cast adrift,
fearful were the tides to shift;
Gathering closer to stave off the cold,
heartened to have each other to hold.
Call out to escort us, call out to support us, call out to me.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thank you!
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Re: Ave Verum Corpus - Over a MILLION views

Post by Mercurial909 »

Aaaaaand he’s done it!

In just 4 months Ave Verum has surpassed the ONE MILLION VIEWS mark on YouTube.

That has never happened before in such a short space of time for any Libera music video.

CONGRATULATIONS Libera, bravo Sam Coates, and special shout out to a wonderfully gifted kid, Freddie Mushrafi.🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2706.jpeg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2706.jpeg (96.86 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Ave Verum Corpus - Over a MILLION views

Post by Yorkie »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:37 pm">6 months ago</span> Aaaaaand he’s done it!

In just 4 months Ave Verum has surpassed the ONE MILLION VIEWS mark on YouTube.

That has never happened before in such a short space of time for any Libera music video.

CONGRATULATIONS Libera, bravo Sam Coates, and special shout out to a wonderfully gifted kid, Freddie Mushrafi.🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

IMG_2706.jpeg
You beat me to it but are you certain that Carol of the Bells didn't hit the million in less time? That has amassed huge numbers of views in a just a few years.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

That's terrific!

I'm wondering, is there any way to find out what the national makeup of those viewers? It would be interesting to know which markets they're getting the most support.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:34 am">6 months ago</span> That's terrific!

I'm wondering, is there any way to find out what the national makeup of those viewers? It would be interesting to know which markets they're getting the most support.
The vast majority of comments are in English and Russian.

This one made me chuckle: "This young boy is a singing machine: His high efficiency nostrils rapidly feeding air into his young high pressure lungs! Absolutely perfect and beautiful rendition!"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Probably many of the comments in Cyrillic script are Ukrainian. Very similar to Russian. It's their tune.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

1.5 million!

2023-12-20_21-39-03.jpg
2023-12-20_21-39-03.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
2023-12-20_21-39-03.jpg
2023-12-20_21-39-03.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:47 am">4 months ago</span> 1.5 million!

2023-12-20_21-39-03.jpg
Unreal! :shock: