London Oratory School Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

London Oratory School Schola Cantorum

Post by Luckdragon »

https-__cdn.evbuc.com_images_347822279_268177842529_1_original.png
https-__cdn.evbuc.com_images_347822279_268177842529_1_original.png (792.93 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
https-__cdn.evbuc.com_images_347822279_268177842529_1_original.png
https-__cdn.evbuc.com_images_347822279_268177842529_1_original.png (792.93 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Duruflé's Requiem & Widor's Messe à deux chœurs et deux orgues, Ben Bloor organ, Director Charles Cole
Fri 11 Nov 2022 at 7.30pm
Holy Trinity, Sloane Square, London SW1.
Tickets £15 (£10 conc)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/durufle- ... 3730939377
FgVQ0dUXEAIdBMV.jpg
FgVQ0dUXEAIdBMV.jpg (1004.65 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
FgVQ0dUXEAIdBMV.jpg
FgVQ0dUXEAIdBMV.jpg (1004.65 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Celtic

Re: London Oratory School Schola Cantorum

Post by Celtic »

Thanks, I think I will go, it has been a long time since I heard them. There is a former Chorister of the Year finalist giving a lunchtime piano recital in London that day too, so I can make it a nice musical day out.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

:roll: Always with that same Duruflé requiem, or Handel's "Messiah" :roll: :| Is there nothing more interesting these choirs can sing? :lol: (only half-joking)

Enjoy the shows! :D
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:48 am">1 year ago</span> :roll: Always with that same Duruflé requiem, or Handel's "Messiah" :roll: :| Is there nothing more interesting these choirs can sing? :lol: (only half-joking)

Enjoy the shows! :D
I know what you mean... The very first time I heard CVMS it was for Walton's Twelve and yup... Duruflé's requiem. :lol:
► Show Spoiler
But Scott has mixed it up a bit in recent years, besides the annual Messiah of course, which I fully approve of. :P

As for LOS, they do sing some quite different pieces, unfortunately as I've mentioned before, I tend to find these pieces overwhelmingly dull...

Que sera, sera...
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:57 am">1 year ago</span> As for LOS, they do sing some quite different pieces, unfortunately as I've mentioned before, I tend to find these pieces overwhelmingly dull...
Their director loves obscure and esoteric works that modern audiences don't really connect with. Certain pieces fall into obscurity for a reason. As a result, I found their "Sacred Treasures of England" album to be rather sterile and lacking in soul, as if even the choir didn't really have a connection to the music. "Overwhelmingly dull" might be an appropriate summation. :wink:

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

What about their Treasures of Spain album? Did you like that any better?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:18 pm">1 year ago</span> What about their Treasures of Spain album? Did you like that any better?
It's not available on digital, I'm afraid, so I haven't yet heard it.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:19 am">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:18 pm">1 year ago</span> What about their Treasures of Spain album? Did you like that any better?
It's not available on digital, I'm afraid, so I haven't yet heard it.
Being a renaissance album, it is only available on Luteify. 8) If you send a carrier pigeon requesting the album a member of the Spanish Inquisition will appear (you won't expect them) and will deliver the album vocally in a near monotone drone. (e.g. a perfect replay of the actual album) :roll:
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Well, well, what a difference a week can make.

I have now heard Treasures of Spain. While I am not blown away by it, it is certainly more engaging than their previous album and the choir sound is great...

...and tonight's singing, was fantastic! LOS are officially back on my list. :mrgreen:
► Show Spoiler
Oh yes, and... now I know where the top Westminster Abbey soloist ended up after he left the Abbey... :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=59439#p59439
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I thought you'd enjoy that one more! Glad you enjoyed the concert too. :D
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Me (5 days ago): Former Wabbey chorister James Tweedie's solo for LOS tonight is likely to be the best solo I will hear this Xmas.

Freddie Mushrafi: Hold my beer.

*Non-alcoholic isotonic beer
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:42 am">10 months ago</span>
WOW! That's an amazing repertoire and that Palestrina piece is one of my top choral favorites, not to mention the others which are excellent.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:57 pm">10 months ago</span> WOW! That's an amazing repertoire and that Palestrina piece is one of my top choral favorites, not to mention the others which are excellent.
The things we miss by living in this cultural wasteland.