2023 US Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Mercurial909
Silver Member

Re: 2023 US Tour

Post by Mercurial909 »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:39 pm">8 months ago</span> Does anybody know Mitchel & Freddie H’s age?

It feels like they joined Libera quite late or they just look older than they look . Both boys seem incredibly talented and I’m hoping I get I hear them Live at some stage.
Difficult to tell, but I’d guess 12-13. They look slightly older than Nathan, Thomas M and Morgan who are all 12.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Will you attend the concerts in December Dani ? I would say it is very likely their voice won't change before December...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks everyone for sharing photos and information as the tour continues.

Henry, what a wonderful review! I love it :D I certainly wish that you and I had connected somehow at the NYC concert. It would have been great to say hello! I was told only after the concert that you were in attendance by someone who I guess had either spoken to you or had run into you in some way.

I think we all need to do a better job as a fan community (and I 100% include myself in not doing a good enough job in this regard) of informing one another about our concert plans and making an effort to connect. I find that this makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

But anyhow, Henry's review certainly encapsulates all of the highlights that I'm so terrible about writing down. I can't believe I neglected to point out that unlike in DC the boys filed on stage singing “Lux Aeterna” coming in through the audience. In DC they had come in from the sides near the altar, and had indeed processed in, but it wasn't through the audience. This was really cool to see in New York!

Henry also pointed out one of the issues that we had in NYC that I didn't mention, although it was definitely discussed by fans afterwards, and that is the lower attendance. It wasn't an empty house or anything like that; in fact, if it were a traditional choral concert I would have said that it was a great showing for a choral concert in summer in New York. Let's be clear, in New York is a cultural capital with world class shows happening pretty much every day; and with so many entertainment options even those who may be interested in Libera’s music may choose to attend any number of events happening in the city. Plus, for some reason summer concerts in New York City never do as well as those during the regular concert season of September through May or so. I think it's just the expectation on the part of those who regularly attend concerts and cultural events that the really important concerts only happen in that particular interval. That’s my guess anyway.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:11 pm">8 months ago</span> Will you attend the concerts in December Dani ? I would say it is very likely their voice won't change before December...

Yes I am :D
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

NYC news segment about the concert with short interviews of Sam and Nathan.

Cainmac

Re: 2023 NYC Concert Review

Post by Cainmac »

henrylonghorn wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:54 am">9 months ago</span> The encore, surprisingly, was not America the Beautiful. Instead we got Smile. I’m genuinely curious as to why. It was a moving performance nonetheless with a solo by Mitchel. He sounded very emotional, on the verge of tears almost, as if having a deep personal connection with the words. If anything, this makes him a worthy owner of the solo. Intriguingly, Victor who was once in his shoes stood behind him and sang the lower part. The final applause and standing ovation was very, very, long…

It’s also worth mentioning that the general level of preparation appears to have exceeded the past few US tours. Coordination among the various parts and physical movements on stage both seem to have improved, for example. No more boys getting lost during stage transitions!
May I confirm these comments. Mitchel’s emotional performance of Smile was noted by Surpinto at the DC concert. I felt it in NYC and you note it from Grace Cathedral. It felt very real to me and like nothing that I’ve heard before.

I, too, worried how they could keep it all together after we lost JP. Your comments highlighted how Libera only gets better and better. Robert laid a strong foundation and many of the grown members continue to add new layers. I was able to shake Sam’s hand and thank him. He and Steven, and all of the members young and old, have contributed to the Libera legacy.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The Los Angeles concert should be interesting. The venue is unlike the previous three, with big picture windows behind them and to the side. The audience wraps around part of the stage, and there's a possibility of using a large display screen. The time of the concert (6:30 PM) is such that the sunset will be visible throughout the program, so I wonder if they'll go with mostly ambient lighting.

o.jpg
o.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
o.jpg
o.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 7875 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

hmm...that is interesting. I wonder if they able to lower shades down over those huge glass windows and whether they will choose to do so.

I'm sure we'll soon find out!

But what we know for now is that Libera's having fun in San Francisco today :lol:

"Torture him!" :lol:

henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:39 pm">8 months ago</span> Henry, what a wonderful review! I love it :D I certainly wish that you and I had connected somehow at the NYC concert.
Thanks Surpinto, likewise, it seems we missed each other again as was the last time in St Paul. It didn't help either that I had a rushed itinerary and only stayed one night. But let's do plan ahead next time!
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:39 pm">8 months ago</span> Plus, for some reason summer concerts in New York City never do as well as those during the regular concert season of September through May or so. I think it's just the expectation on the part of those who regularly attend concerts and cultural events that the really important concerts only happen in that particular interval.
My guess is that the cultured locals who would attend such thing as a Libera concert generally avoid going out during the summer heat or are on vacation. We'll let any locals comment on that.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:00 am">8 months ago</span> "Torture him!" :lol:
Wow, I don't remember seeing Ben B in NYC. They better not break Luca's leg, or we'd have many disappointed fans!
Cainmac wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:49 pm">8 months ago</span> Robert laid a strong foundation and many of the grown members continue to add new layers. I was able to shake Sam’s hand and thank him. He and Steven, and all of the members young and old, have contributed to the Libera legacy.
I agree and am also hoping that some of the singers on this tour will one day become the Sams and Stevens. This also reminds us to give credit to the staff who have given so much of their labor and talent for this group.
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

henrylonghorn wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:49 am">8 months ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:39 pm">8 months ago</span> Henry, what a wonderful review! I love it :D I certainly wish that you and I had connected somehow at the NYC concert.
Thanks Surpinto, likewise, it seems we missed each other again as was the last time in St Paul. It didn't help either that I had a rushed itinerary and only stayed one night. But let's do plan ahead next time!
Yes lets! In the meantime we can have a look at Libera's fun in San Francisco courtesy of the US Libera story (https://www.instagram.com/stories/uslibera/). I included just a small fraction of the photos they uploaded.

364972502_277042491603771_5445402624706168424_n.jpg
364972502_277042491603771_5445402624706168424_n.jpg (239.91 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
364972502_277042491603771_5445402624706168424_n.jpg
364972502_277042491603771_5445402624706168424_n.jpg (239.91 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
364300312_306442878622517_3300013606584693884_n.jpg
364300312_306442878622517_3300013606584693884_n.jpg (175.98 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
364300312_306442878622517_3300013606584693884_n.jpg
364300312_306442878622517_3300013606584693884_n.jpg (175.98 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
364291972_607710337895750_2009536001562628160_n.jpg
364291972_607710337895750_2009536001562628160_n.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
364291972_607710337895750_2009536001562628160_n.jpg
364291972_607710337895750_2009536001562628160_n.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 7623 times
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

I made it to Grace Cathedral in San Francisco and the concert was incredible. I have seen them in California back in 2019, Christmas in London at SJSS 2019 and 2022, and now this, being my 4th concert attendance.

With Sam in charge, the group is much more energetic and loud. They really let their voices fly, and in the cavernous cathedral, it's glorious to hear. I really hope they continue to make it back to the US in the future.

It is always nice to attend a concert and I really appreciate their visit this year. Even though the locations were difficult to attend, I realize it does give the group a chance to see the sights during downtime. However, more friendlier cities with more families would net higher attendance and behoove the tour and finances.

I'd love to help out more than financially if that is what it takes to ensure future travel to the US.
20230731_210118.jpg
20230731_210118.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 7485 times
20230731_210118.jpg
20230731_210118.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 7485 times
20230731_183607.jpg
20230731_183607.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 7485 times
20230731_183607.jpg
20230731_183607.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 7485 times
raycmusic

Post by raycmusic »

Hello everyone!

I finally got around to making an account here on LDF! I've been a fan of Libera for many years now, but only recently had the opportunity to follow a US tour. It was so lovely to meet many fans this summer, including the real @Surpinto in person in DC and NY!

Seeing as some fans were only able to attend the east coast concerts, I wanted to give some insight into the SF concert for those who weren't able to make the journey to California. My memory also isn't up to par to provide a full review, so I hope you'll enjoy some highlights from the show!

As with every Libera concert, the boys, staff, and musicians all performed their parts spectacularly. Particularly for this concert, I was impressed how quickly everyone was able to adapt to the smaller, more cramped stage, especially after such a tiring journey from New York to California. This was particularly evident with Freddie H in Wayfaring Stranger, where he needed to carefully time his descent down the altar steps while singing such a delicate solo line.

Following Wayfaring Stranger, Luca delivered what I felt to be the best rendition of Ave Maria so far on the tour, clearly enunciating each of the descending eighth notes, which sounded so clean in the audience. As usual, he also sang the really high notes in Voca Me, but this time, receiving his own individual spotlight while standing in the pulpit. I'm in awe he's still able to reach such high notes at 13. Really hoping his treble career can last at least a few more years!

Daniel gave a speech before the interval which included the usual jest about "not spilling any drinks down our nice white robes" :lol: . New for this tour, however, was a showcase of how the song Libera divides into 7 different parts for the first few notes, with Daniel directing each part to start after the other, so each individual voice can be heard. Daniel seems to be a natural born conductor and choir leader. Makes me wonder if he'll be doing Sam's job in a decade or two? :D

The second half of the concert began with the boys again walking down the side aisles, singing the unison plainchant part of Lux Aeterna, before taking their places on stage. Speaking with Dominik after the concert, he let me know they decided to forgo kneeling here for this concert, due to the smaller stage. I was so pleased to hear Morgan singing the solo (and later again for I Am The Day), as I believe the only solo recording of him so far is for Kizuna (please correct me if I'm wrong here)? His voice has a timbre similar to that of a smaller child, but very mature in terms of pitch, dynamic, and articulation control. Reminds me a lot of James Threadgill's solo in Deep Peace many years ago. Similar can be said about Joseph, who went from miniboy, to fantastic soloist in Prayer and Total Praise in just a few short years.

Freddie M's Ave Verum solo was probably the most technically impressive piece for me, with such an operatic voice that can rival that of professional adult singers. Once again I'm amazed at the sheer range that he can achieve, along with Daniel who also sang the lower part on God Only Knows (originally sung by Victor in the album recording). Both their voices still blend seamlessly with the treble parts, despite them joining "the Bigs" pretty soon!

The concert ended with the energetic Sing For Our World, and an emotional encore performance of Smile by Mitchell. Even though there was a slight mishap in starting on time with the orchestra, Mitchell recovered incredibly well, and any small mistakes were overshadowed by the immense passion he puts into his singing. While he may be one of the newest members of the group, he's become one of the star soloists, and I can't wait to hear more from him in future albums and concerts!

Overall, the SF concert was sensational, and appeared to have the best attendance (almost a full house). As I'm unable to attend the final LA concert, I'm so happy my journey on the 2023 US tour concluded on such a high note, with such brilliant music and new friends made! For anyone who can make it to the final concert in LA tonight, please keep us posted!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

raycmusic wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 am">8 months ago</span> I finally got around to making an account here on LDF! I've been a fan of Libera for many years now, but only recently had the opportunity to follow a US tour. It was so lovely to meet many fans this summer, including the real @Surpinto in person in DC and NY!
It was so good meeting you and spending time before and after both concerts! It was also good getting some of your insights on the music composition side of things.

So it sounds like San Francisco had its own moment to shine similar to DC and New York? That's wonderful because I didn't think that Luca’s “Ave Maria” (for example) could be bettered! But it sounds like the choir maintained its momentum of excellent performances from the two previous concerts on the tour and delivered a knockout performance in San Francisco as well.

raycmusic wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 am">8 months ago</span> Daniel seems to be a natural born conductor and choir leader. Makes me wonder if he'll be doing Sam's job in a decade or two? :D
I know, right?! I could totally see him staying with the choir in a leadership capacity of some sort going forward.

raycmusic wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 am">8 months ago</span> I was so pleased to hear Morgan singing the solo (and later again for I Am The Day), as I believe the only solo recording of him so far is for Kizuna (please correct me if I'm wrong here)? His voice has a timbre similar to that of a smaller child, but very mature in terms of pitch, dynamic, and articulation control. Reminds me a lot of James Threadgill's solo in Deep Peace many years ago. Similar can be said about Joseph, who went from miniboy, to fantastic soloist in Prayer and Total Praise in just a few short years.
That's a really good comparison, and I agree with your description of Morgan's voice and his abilities; Joseph too. Being on the younger side these two have – barring any sort of change in their lives outside the choir – some time to go in which we will probably get to hear more from them both in concert and in perhaps future albums as well. We know from past experience that Libera is always making all kinds of recordings, and that a soloist recorded in 2023 (for example) in studio could very well be on an album slated for release in something like 2025; with the most extreme example of this from the 2010's being TDL on Hope singing “Benedictus Deus” years after he recorded it and some time after he had left the choir. So no doubt we'll hear more from both of them!

raycmusic wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:59 am">8 months ago</span> Overall, the SF concert was sensational, and appeared to have the best attendance (almost a full house). As I'm unable to attend the final LA concert, I'm so happy my journey on the 2023 US tour concluded on such a high note, with such brilliant music and new friends made! For anyone who can make it to the final concert in LA tonight, please keep us posted!
I'm so glad you were able to attend three of the four concerts! You'll be on a “high” for the next few weeks for sure! Just as I have been from two concerts, so I can only imagine what an effect three can have :D

Your highlights are definitely appreciated here and I do hope that it won't take many years for us to run into each other again at a concert!

It goes without saying that you're very much welcome here at Libera Dreams :D

in2dwww wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:40 pm">8 months ago</span> I made it to Grace Cathedral in San Francisco and the concert was incredible. I have seen them in California back in 2019, Christmas in London at SJSS 2019 and 2022, and now this, being my 4th concert attendance.
Thanks for the photos and glad to hear you enjoyed the concerts.
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

I will be posting a full concert review soon, but before I do so, I will post my (very detailed.. sorry!) thoughts on the encore! Mitchel's singing on Smile during this tour has become my favorite Libera performance of all time.

Mitchel sang with so much vulnerability, it almost felt like his singing was very melodic and beautiful crying. He had to have been singing about something personal, the emotion felt so genuine.

He effortlessly melds several emotions with some incredibly delicate yet determined singing. This was done through his facial expressions, but even more through the sound of his voice.

I was impressed with how he managed to convey an entire emotional story in his performance. Almost every single line contained a different, nuanced feeling. The first verse started with deep sorrow, longing, and heartbreak. Then, it morphed into a floaty resignation, emptiness, and wistfulness.

By the second verse, nostalgia and hope creep in, followed by a very steely determination to pull through… an intensity that is coupled with a softer empathy and sadness lingering from the first verse. I got the sense that he was imploring himself and the audience to not forget the past, to enjoy reminiscing, but also to keep pushing forward, to heal, and to move towards a brighter future.

By the last lines of the song, he finally reveals a glimmer of hope and a bit of joy, still mixed with a sense of sorrow and longing. There's such tenderness and love in the way he sings, and I think the audience was truly moved by his singing. It is clear he has quite a bit of emotional intelligence, he shows empathy and an understanding of suffering.

He does this all with impeccable tuning and sensitive musicality. I particularly loved his slight vibrato at ends of phrases and his vocal scoops. He has a wonderful sparkle to his voice which acoustically lightens up the heavier emotional messages of the lyrics.

I've never heard a Libera boy express so many emotions with such passion and openness, either in recordings or in concert. I hope they record him singing this one... but I think the magic probably lies in the live performance.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Looking forward to your full review as your reviews are usually some of the most precise and poetic evaluations of the songs and the performance we have here. For now I will just say that I’m in full agreement with you about Mitchel’s solo and how you describe it. I mentioned it in my own review, but I certainly didn't do it the justice that you have in your post.

Thanks for this, it reminded me of the performance all over again while reading it, the song playing in my head. :D