Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: 2023 US Tour

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:14 am">1 year ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:05 pm">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm">1 year ago</span> According to Libera of the US, you can have them come to the city of your choice for a USD 12,000 donation.

Lacking that, they will probably start with a retreat in Minnesota and work their way west again. They do tend to return to places where they've had success and it's hard to blame them. The US East Coast has not been kind to them, although they did fill the DC Basilica in 2014 thanks to the free admission.

So all you need is 200 fans in one city to spread the cost :lol:
:lol: I don't think that's what it means though :wink: Seems that it's $12k to sponsor a concert whose location is determined by Libera, rather than $12k in exchange for choosing the location.
Here it is. This year's reward. Will we soon see Surpinto posing with the choir? Stay tuned!

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:35 am">1 year ago</span> Here it is. This year's reward. Will we soon see Surpinto posing with the choir? Stay tuned!
$12.8k? I think I can do it, but only with careful investments in sound and reliable financial instruments such as the lottery. Luckdragon, think you can lend me $2 for a ticket? I'll pay it back when I win.

For everyone else wondering what the donation tiers are:
Donation Levels.jpg
Donation Levels.jpg (779.71 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Donation Levels.jpg
Donation Levels.jpg (779.71 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Cainmac

Post by Cainmac »

2967E852-CE89-473F-845C-49E8B4EA6399.jpeg
2967E852-CE89-473F-845C-49E8B4EA6399.jpeg (172.49 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
2967E852-CE89-473F-845C-49E8B4EA6399.jpeg
2967E852-CE89-473F-845C-49E8B4EA6399.jpeg (172.49 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
Per Congressman Maxwell Alejandro Frost, “.@USCIS is proposing hiking up the costs of visas for foreign artist’s touring in the United States by over 250%. This ridiculous increase is harmful towards the arts community & small/medium venues. I led a letter to USCIS asking them to reconsider with some colleagues.” If this impacts Libera, their visas would increase from the mid $400s to the mid $1600s each. None of us want to see that happen. Time to make our voice heard, Libera fans.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I hope that doesn't happen. Otherwise, Libera may not be able to tour the US, unless a donor or donors with deep pockets covers the cost for them. I read that some artists have already cancelled their US visits this Summer, probably because they can't wait to see whether the price hike will go into effect.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Cainmac wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:41 pm">1 year ago</span> 2967E852-CE89-473F-845C-49E8B4EA6399.jpeg

Per Congressman Maxwell Alejandro Frost, “.@USCIS is proposing hiking up the costs of visas for foreign artist’s touring in the United States by over 250%. This ridiculous increase is harmful towards the arts community & small/medium venues. I led a letter to USCIS asking them to reconsider with some colleagues.” If this impacts Libera, their visas would increase from the mid $400s to the mid $1600s each. None of us want to see that happen. Time to make our voice heard, Libera fans.
I seriously doubt this would impact Libera. Those are temporary worker visas for athletes, performers and support personnel. As long as nobody is paid here in the USA, I'm pretty sure that the usual ESTA authorizations will be fine.
Cainmac

Post by Cainmac »

I remember a few years back that visa expense was quite high for the group at that time. Clearly my ignorance of ESTA is showing. Though the ESTA fees have gone up 50% since their last visit, I suspect the increase to $21 won’t be a deal killer.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

It's now official! :D

https://libera.org.uk/news/usa-tour-2023/

Tuesday, July 25 - 7 pm
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington D.C.

Friday, July 28 - 7 pm
The Riverside Church, New York City

Monday, July 31 - 7 pm
Grace Cathedral, San Francisco

Thursday, August 3 - 6:30pm
Bel Air Church, Los Angeles

I don't see that any tickets are on sale, yet.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Woohoo!

At last there are not just one but two concerts near me! :D. Even though these concerts are drivable, I'm probably going to opt to take the train. This far in advance the prices are very low, even less in some cases than the tolls I would be paying on the Interstate, and I'm not even factoring in fuel costs. So anyone living in the northeast corridor do take note of that! But even more importantly than that, both East Coast concerts are in downtown areas of large cities where driving and parking are going to be a major hassle unless you're willing to shell out big bucks for parking. So international travelers please be aware of that before falling for the temptation to rent a car! Even those who are driving into these cities from the local area, I do suggest you find somewhere to park, say at a train station, and then take the local train in.

With that said, here are some tips for anyone traveling to these cities. If anyone needs any other travel tips please let me know as I've been to each many times (particularly NYC). So while I'm not an expert, nor do I live in either city, I'm always happy to help fellow fans :D

Transportation in DC
Once you arrive in DC the best way to get around is to use the DC Metro. You'll need a SmarTrip card which you can either purchase physically or, as per the link, you can install on your mobile device. You will have to set up an account if you use the mobile option. Please be aware that fares are calculated based on distance travelled so either purchase an unlimited pass or make sure that your balance is sufficient to cover any other trips you will be taking. The DC Metro will be able to get you around any sort of tourism plans you may have in the city.

For those within the US, you can buy the physical plastic card and have it mailed to you from the website; though I'm not sure if they will mail the card internationally. It also does not appear that they sell the physical cards at stations anymore; though I could be completely wrong about that. I've had mine for so long that I just don't remember anymore!

Further, Google Maps has a good understanding of the DC metro so you can use that to plan your trips without any real worry. There are several metro lines, each of them color-coded, with the Basilica not far from a Red Line metro station (Brookland-CUA) :D

Transportation from DC to New York
My suggestion for traveling between DC and New York City is to use Amtrak. There are a variety of options and times between these two major cities (Washington Union Station to New York Penn Station – though the Amtrak website will display the New York station as “Moynihan Train Hall at Penn Sta”).

There are two main options on this route through Amtrak:
  • Northeast Regional: 3.5 hours standard train journey.
  • Acela: High-speed train, just under 3 hours train journey. No coach option for this train, all seats are business class.
Depending on what time of day you travel, and how far in advance you book, the difference in price could be negligible between the two options. In fact, the regular train might end up being more expensive! :roll: . Amtrak has a very strange automated computer based system for determining rail fares so….yeah… :roll:

Driving between the two cities is also possible in maybe 4-6 hours (traffic can be highly variable as you go through some of the most populated cities on the US East Coast). But be aware that you will be charged a number of tolls along the way.

Transportation in New York
Like DC, Google Maps has a good understanding of the New York City subway. Though being a much larger city, there are quite a few subway lines (NYC uses numbers and letters to designate lines). The venue is located conveniently right off of a subway station for the 1 line (116 Street Station - Columbia University).

Unlike DC, the fares for the New York City subway are fixed at currently $2.75. So unless you exit a station and have to go back through a turnstile you can transfer between trains without any additional charge; nor is distance travelled taken into account for the fare. Better yet, the New York City subway accepts contactless credit cards, so you don't need to buy any special metro card or set up any kind of special mobile app. For international travelers, if you're worried that your contactless card may not work in the US, or you don't have one, you can set up a contactless payment through Google Wallet or Apple Pay. Though I believe you can still buy a magnetic MetroCard for $1 at a metro station and load a cash balance on that – though that system is being phased out.
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Slightly different dates on this one from Instagram via Libera US:
EDBF82F6-C800-42B1-95E8-F09F663213C4.jpeg
EDBF82F6-C800-42B1-95E8-F09F663213C4.jpeg (494.5 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
EDBF82F6-C800-42B1-95E8-F09F663213C4.jpeg
EDBF82F6-C800-42B1-95E8-F09F663213C4.jpeg (494.5 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Any idea when the tickets will go on sale?

I don't see any special events yet posted for July either at the Basilica in Washington or Riverside in N.Y.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:29 am">1 year ago</span> Slightly different dates on this one from Instagram via Libera US:
What differences have you noticed?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:24 am">1 year ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:29 am">1 year ago</span> Slightly different dates on this one from Instagram via Libera US:
What differences have you noticed?
There was initially an error with the L.A. date on the official site. It has since been corrected.
Cainmac

Post by Cainmac »

Start spreading the news….New York, NY.

Hotel and air travel are booked. 😀
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

This might be a good time to remind everyone to donate to Libera of the US so that this tour can be fully and properly funded. Seeing as Libera loses money on US tours because they could never fill a 5,000 seat venue with ticket-paying fans like they can in Korea or Japan, I think it's important all of us who are attending consider chipping in. :D

https://uslibera.org/

Also, tickets will be on sale "soon" according to US Libera with tickets apparently being sold for all shows from Ticketsource.

https://www.ticketsource.us/us-libera

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth concert is added, probably in the Los Angeles area.