Escolanía de Montserrat

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Escolanía de Montserrat

Post by filiarheni »

Several times I have written down all my enthusiasm about how good the Escolanía de Montserrat is and how much I like them, and I can't believe to never have dedicated them their own thread. It's high time and here's a link to the thread about the Nuremberg Boys Choir Festival, where they very recently performed, so they were discussed there as well with some music examples.

You will not see from their modest posture on stage what musical jewel they are. Their sound has a uniquely fine quality that I have not found in any other choir. It is of a breathtaking gentleness, as light and soft as a feather, which can yet powerfully increase, and always goes straight into the heart. I called it silky in the Nuremberg thread and I do mean it.

As a choir, their voices reach a maximum of homogeneity, which is a full pleasure to listen to. And they dispose of superb soloists currently, as seen in Nuremberg, whose voices are homogeneous over their whole range. That is so admirable. Their conductor, Llorenç Castelló i Garriga (since 2014), is a former member of theirs, and I can only congratulate him on this exquisite choir.

I feel very grateful to have heard them live and every time it feels like surrendering to the beauty of their sound. There exists music which is so intensely beautiful that it almost hurts (but in a good way of course) and they belong to that category.

Regarding their repertoire, they focus on Catalan composers and also this attracts me, because I like to listen to them singing in Catalan.

If there was no Libera, the Escolanìa de Montserrat would be my favourite choir, no doubt. In fact, here and there I find some similarities in using harmonies and descants.
No recording can ever fully convey, what they sound like in a live performance, and therefore I do continue recommending everyone to see them, if you have the slightest opportunity. :)

We discussed them already starting here (apologies for quoting myself, but at that time there wasn't more to find at this forum, I believe, which hopefully will change).

This is a nice documentary about them:

"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Escolanía de Montserrat

Post by Surpinto »

Ok, this choir is now on my "must see" list. I liked the video, with which I was not previously familiar, and your enthusiasm for them only adds to the allure. Thanks!
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I know this video was posted in the other thread, but I feel it deserves to be posted again here, as it very much showcases their best qualities.

Escolania de Montserrat really are fantastic. They salvaged a drab opening concert at the Knabenchor Festival in Bad Tolz in 2019 and overall were the best choir of the four there that weekend (or best of the six, as I saw two others outside the festival too). This time round they were even better in my opinion and were once again top of the pile of the six choirs. A sublime sound, superb soloists and an engaging repertoire. Highly recommended.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

They're not big on posting official videos, but they do have a decent collection of albums available for streaming.

https://music.youtube.com/channel/UC8UY ... DGb5rQ0qZw
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:47 am">1 year ago</span> I know this video was posted in the other thread, but I feel it deserves to be posted again here, as it very much showcases their best qualities.
I does. It was no less than divine.

I'm hoping for "El Cant dels Ocells" to be published, too. There are versions on YouTube, but in Nuremberg this song was so particularly good.

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:09 am">1 year ago</span> Ok, this choir is now on my "must see" list. I liked the video, with which I was not previously familiar, and your enthusiasm for them only adds to the allure. Thanks!
I hope they will give you the opportunity soon. They went to the US for example in 2017, so it may happen again. :) In the meantime, please have "L'Ametller" by Vivancos:

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:37 pm">1 year ago</span> They're not big on posting official videos, but they do have a decent collection of albums available for streaming.

https://music.youtube.com/channel/UC8UY ... DGb5rQ0qZw
Yes, and many videos you can find are not the best in terms of recording quality - but although I miss quite some songs recorded in such quality, I find it endearing somehow that they don't mind about how their sound comes across there and let everything just be there. :lol:

"Salve d'ecos" by Cererols is one of the songs I would like to beg their conductor to record for their next album That one was stunning with the church reverb in Bad Tölz (four boys sang the echoes).

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Apparently, they are planning to visit the U.S. this Fall. They are supposed to give a concert in Minneapolis on November 11.

https://www.vocalessence.org/event/conc ... boy-choir/
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:57 am">1 year ago</span> Apparently, they are planning to visit the U.S. this Fall. They are supposed to give a concert in Minneapolis on November 11.

No way they are limiting themselves to only one US concert. Fingers crossed there are more and closer to the east! I searched online, including on their website, but to no avail. Hopefully if something comes to light we can all be informed here? :mrgreen:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 pm">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:57 am">1 year ago</span> Apparently, they are planning to visit the U.S. this Fall. They are supposed to give a concert in Minneapolis on November 11.

No way they are limiting themselves to only one US concert. Fingers crossed there are more and closer to the east! I searched online, including on their website, but to no avail. Hopefully if something comes to light we can all be informed here? :mrgreen:
Wow! That would be fantastic, hopefully you get to hear them! :D :D Their tour schedule releases, however, needs much improvement. :roll:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Their 2021 album, "Echoes of Our Land."

Promo video:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The river flows on...

The newest class is admitted to the choir and receives their vestments...

Josquin2Penderecki

Post by Josquin2Penderecki »

I found an article which is duplicated in a couple other websites, which says they will perform three concerts during their visit to the U.S. Two of those will be in Minnesota (Basilica of St. Mary-Minneapolis, and St. John's Abbey-near St. Cloud). The third concert is supposed to be at St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, PA, but I couldn't find information in their website.
https://www.catalannews.com/culture/ite ... form-in-us
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yeah, no dates or anything for the PA concert. Will likely be that Tuesday or Wednesday just going off their travel schedule, making it inaccessible for me as it's something like a 5 hour drive, which would require staying overnight in a hotel and missing two workdays. I've already taken days for the December Libera concert so I'm not likely to play sick and miss more. :?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The Escolanía has arrived in Minneapolis.

Their first performance will be at Saint John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota at 7:00 PM on Thursday, November 10.
Tickets: https://saintjohnsabbey.org/events/mont ... boys-choir

Next, they will appear at the Basilica of Saint Mary in Minneapolis, Minnesota at 7:00 PM on Friday, November 11.
Program: https://www.vocalessence.org/montserrat ... he-program
Tickets: https://www.vocalessence.org/event/conc ... gs-to-know

Their final concert will be at Saint Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe, Pennsylvania at 7:30 PM on Wednesday, November 16.
Tickets: https://www.stvincent.edu/news/2022/svc ... choir.html

Although the Catalan News indicated that the choir would participate in a mass on Sunday, November 13, they are not currently listed as participants by the Basilica.
https://www.mary.org/liturgical-celebra ... 2wATXbML9Y
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

That PA concert is sooooo tempting :? But I just can't fit it into my schedule. :(

If the concert was on a weekend I could make it work, but midweek makes it out of the question.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:)
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:11 pm">1 year ago</span> That PA concert is sooooo tempting :? But I just can't fit it into my schedule. :(

If the concert was on a weekend I could make it work, but midweek makes it out of the question.
And this is just such a shame! Can't you tell your boss that such a concert is essential for your health and this way benefit is had in favour of the boss as well? :D 8)

Anyway, time lacks!! I still wanted to say something about "El cant dels ocells" of the mini concert in Nürnberg in June that the Escolanía sang after their service, because at somet point someone asked how it sounded down in the room, as this video was recorded from the gallery:

They sang those four songs and basically in front of the audience, but for this song they stood in a half circle around the audience. There couldn't have been a better idea! The church was broad and so that half circle was wide with some distance from boy to boy. My seat was not far from the middle and I cannot describe how intense the sensation was that came from this very song coming to me from several directions! It was an undescribable feeling to sit in the centre of their gentle, gentle sound that conquered my heart completely. it was a flowing of sound just all around and everywhere. So yes, it was unique and I wish that I could share this with everyone here.

The first verse was a solo, strong, clear, calm, gentle, all at the same time and a pure enjoyment. Then the choir voices joined and I especially fall for the final parts of the verses, those harmonies moving, becoming calmer and calmer, that's just so beautiful. I can't compliment their performance enough!

Among all their phenomenal music, "El cant dels ocells" is one of the particularly touching pieces, where they can best extend all the delicacy of their sound.

I'm very happy for those who have now the opportunity to experience a concert on their US tour. Something I envy you for :mrgreen: , because although I heard them live several time, these were always concerts they shared with others of this mini one, so - that's still something I long and wait for. :) And every time I hear the recordings and remember the performances, I feel urged to pack my things and go hear them live again straight away.

P.S. To gather in this thread the interesting talks about them, I link again to the Nuremberg thread, starting here.