St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

in2dwww

Re: St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Post by in2dwww »

I agree, and I pray that it was recorded. It was beautiful.
Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:06 am">1 year ago</span> I'm not even going to bother trying to write a concert review. Many others will write more detailed, more nuanced, more technical and more expressive reviews. I will instead just post what will always define this concert for me in my memory:

freddie.jpg

The utterly stunning Freddie Mushrafi, who brought tears to my eyes in what may be the best ever solo performance I have heard at a Libera concert. (and you know how much of a DW fan-boy I am, so this is a strong statement)
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Considering all of the nasty viruses going around currently, having only 2 (?) of the singers listed in the program out isn't all that bad. By the way, with all the comments about Freddie's solo, I'm hoping the recorded version will be at least somewhat close to how the live performance sounded.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I will write my review as soon as possible, on my free will and none of Yorkie's pressure to do so, obviously :mrgreen:

Meanwhile you can enjoy this nice picture

... of Moose and his french relative Mousse (meaning Foam in french) having a chat during the intermission.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:03 pm">1 year ago</span> Considering all of the nasty viruses going around currently, having only 2 (?) of the singers listed in the program out isn't all that bad...
For sure. Dresdner Kreuzchor had to cancel their tour and go home because so many of their boys were sick.

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 am">1 year ago</span> This concert is probably the last time we’ll see the bigs performing, maybe the last we see of Victor and Daniel as mainstays, and by next Christmas Freddie’s age group will be closer to age 14 if not 14 already, and their voices may have broken by then.
I don't know their ages, but FM and DW are in the same academic year and VW is in the year above. I would say DW is 6+ months ahead of FM and VW is a further 6 months ahead of DW in vocal development. Anything is possible, but given that you could hear a definite strain in DW's voice during his first alto aria on Friday, I suspect last night's Come My Way may be DW last major solo for Libera. It is possible to push with training to maintain that higher register, longer than you could naturally, but at some point, that will simply become impossible. DW didn't do the high descants last night as he did in the summer, to my memory? As for FM, he is clearly peak-treble at the moment, how long that lasts, is anyone's guess. It would be amazing if he lasts until the spring and there are no signs of a break or strain in his voice in the top notes at all at the moment so it is entirely possible, but obviously that can change quite quickly. There will hopefully be opportunities to follow his vocal development between now and the next Libera concert.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm">1 year ago</span> I suspect last night's Come My Way may be DW last major solo for Libera. It is possible to push with training to maintain that higher register, longer than you could naturally, but at some point, that will simply become impossible.
Anything is indeed possible - Josh Madine having a solo in the 2012 tour aged 16 for instance :)
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

► Show Spoiler
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:45 pm">1 year ago</span>
► Show Spoiler
Great photos. You even caught Daniel with his "They're all amateurs" expression.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:47 am">1 year ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:33 pm">1 year ago</span> We also got solo's from Dan W & Victor which was great.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm">1 year ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm">1 year ago</span>
Oh yes, agreed, of course! :D Dear Santa, IF I had just one wish... :roll:
:roll: If only! I would bet against it at this point. :?
Pay up Surpinto. :P

So happy I was right about DW's voice making it to the Libera concert and managing a solo. Partly because I can now be smug about being right, but mostly because I got to hear DW one more time. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is one bet I'm VERY happy to lose! If we ever manage to meet in person (you up for a Libera concert in the US in the summertime? :wink: ) I'll buy you a drink.
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:37 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:45 pm">1 year ago</span>
► Show Spoiler
Great photos. You even caught Daniel with his "They're all amateurs" expression.
:lol:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

A little bit about "God Only Knows" from the article Inside Tracks #6: The Beach Boy & the Boy Choir, "Love and Mercy" 20 Yrs Apart: Brian Wilson 1988 & Libera 2008

2022-12-05_13-59-32.jpg
2022-12-05_13-59-32.jpg (151.34 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
2022-12-05_13-59-32.jpg
2022-12-05_13-59-32.jpg (151.34 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
iamfree1944

Post by iamfree1944 »

Thank you to everyone who posts about Libera's concerts on here. For someone unable to attend, this forum gives me the opportunity to see and hear how lovely the event was.

I would really love to hear a more detailed review of how the "Bigs" song went, specifically which of them participated. I'm always curious how their matured voices sound in concert and if they are as rich and pure as on the If album. If anybody feels like providing their thoughts on this I would be very grateful.

Thank you again for all of your posts. I love reading through them.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

No full review this time, just the highlights and special moments for me. Which still makes for a long read :wink:
As I sat in the front row and the stage was super close to the audience, with no barrier or orchestra between us and the singers, I totally felt part of the whole experience.

Walking in the air was the first true highlight of the concert for me. More than any other times I heard it, it transported me to a magical place where anything is possible. I felt like I was back in some fairytale land from my childhood, disbelief suspended for good, wishing it would last forever. Absolutely wonderful. Only the first ever live rendition, in Tokyo 2019, came close.

Sitting directly opposite Luca as he sang the vocalise in Voca Me made listening to that song the most powerful and intense experience I ever had at a Libera concert - or any concert for that matter. As he stood there in the dark blue light, I felt the energy coming off of him and I heard those breathtaking notes coming directly from his mouth, which was extraordinary.

The buildup to the climax was even more next level. Daniel sang in such an achingly pleading way that the sound as a whole was almost more than I could take. The crescendo finished with precision and clarity, and landed ever so softly… What a moment.

The third highlight was - ofcourse - Freddie’s Ave Verum. It was stunning and such a surprise. The melody by Albinoni is so full of yearning, like a cry for salvation. Freddie’s singing filled the entire room, adorned with flashes of ‘miserere’ from a choir of supporting angels. The finale, with the repeated calls to Jesus, had one striking moment where Freddie sang ‘Jesu’ in the most heartbreaking way - full of life and longing, just… beyond words. The Name above all names, as my faith proclaims, uttered in the most beautiful way, as an entire prayer.

Other special mentions:

Mitchell - I loved his glowing voice together with Freddie in Libera. This was definitely one of the live versions I enjoyed the most. I also enjoyed how he sang with Victor in Smile. I felt like Victor passed the baton to him. So lovely, especially for a song like this, which has such bittersweet overtones.

Laurence in Wexford Carol sang with such a gentle, tender voice, giving his own flavour to this beloved song.

The choir as a whole sounded so warm and clear. Luca’s vocalises (Ding dong, Sanctus) emphasised the overall sound, rather than drawing all the attention. This wonderful blend actually moved me.

The same can be said about Sing forever. Somehow it felt so earnest this time. The colourful solos by Joseph and Nathan, followed by the group - all of it had a really sincere feel.

Daniel’s solo in Come my way was tender and slightly melancholy, due to his changing voice. It’s wonderful to witness him as he matures as an artist. I hope he will always maintain that natural ease and emotional intelligence he brings to his singing.

In one of the speeches, the war in Ukraine was mentioned, along with a wish for peace. The longing for peace, and glimpses of it, could be felt in this concert.
The glint in the eyes, the smiles, the impossibility to resist moving along to the beat. The hard work and dedication by all those involved, and the way Libera’s music brings people from all over the world together.
I’ll finish here by following Libera’s example and wishing everyone: Merry Christmas!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm curious as to how many singers were performing the "Ave Verum Corpus" piece. Those photos that Libera posted which are assumed to be of that piece only show 7 singers.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:44 pm">1 year ago</span> No full review this time, just the highlights and special moments for me. Which still makes for a long read :wink:
But full reviews are better, and more highly in demand. :wink: Joking aside, great summary of your favorites and so glad you enjoyed the concert. :D Having heard so much from Luca through his non-Libera activities, I'm not surprised that he performed exceptionally. It also appears that the pandemic issues have not dampened the choir's sound, despite many current members having joined just before or during the various lockdowns/restrictions, and for that I'm even more glad.