St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Concert 2022 - Dec 4th

Post by Yorkie »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:04 pm">1 year ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm">1 year ago</span> I can reveal most of the set list if interested:

Good mix.

Isn’t
► Show Spoiler
part of
► Show Spoiler
?

Anyone know when the concert will be available to download?
No it was a standalone segment by the bigs.

This concert was not recorded so no download I'm afraid.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:59 pm">1 year ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:42 pm">1 year ago</span> No newbies
Not onstage but there was a group of about 6 watching from the side under Barbara G's supervision. They were wearing the Libera blue shirts, gray trousers & blue coats.
Probably they are not ready to sing in concert yet. Maybe we'll see them next spring .
The heaven soars with voices above...
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:59 pm">1 year ago</span> Not onstage but there was a group of about 6 watching from the side under Barbara G's supervision. They were wearing the Libera blue shirts, gray trousers & blue coats.
Is Barbara Steven's mom?
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I'm not even going to bother trying to write a concert review. Many others will write more detailed, more nuanced, more technical and more expressive reviews. I will instead just post what will always define this concert for me in my memory:
freddie.jpg
freddie.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
freddie.jpg
freddie.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 10353 times
The utterly stunning Freddie Mushrafi, who brought tears to my eyes in what may be the best ever solo performance I have heard at a Libera concert. (and you know how much of a DW fan-boy I am, so this is a strong statement)
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

In a year when there were times when Libera struggled to get decent audience numbers, they don’t record the Christmas concert for fans that can’t get to concerts? That seems counterintuitive in the extreme.

This concert is probably the last time we’ll see the bigs performing, maybe the last we see of Victor and Daniel as mainstays, and by next Christmas Freddie’s age group will be closer to age 14 if not 14 already, and their voices may have broken by then.

Whole point of Libera’s YouTube channel and online presence is to bring the group to those who can’t get to concerts, and to entice new fans. I don’t understand the thinking behind this.☹️
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 am">1 year ago</span> In a year when there were times when Libera struggled to get decent audience numbers, they don’t record the Christmas concert for fans that can’t get to concerts? That seems counterintuitive in the extreme.

This concert is probably the last time we’ll see the bigs performing, maybe the last we see of Victor and Daniel as mainstays, and by next Christmas Freddie’s age group will be closer to age 14 if not 14 already, and their voices may have broken by then.

Whole point of Libera’s YouTube channel and online presence is to bring the group to those who can’t get to concerts, and to entice new fans. I don’t understand the thinking behind this.☹️
Being in the US, I share your frustration. However, I think if the video sales had been good enough the past couple of years, they would have made an effort this year even with the different format. If that's the case, the worldwide fanbase has only themselves to blame.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:27 pm">1 year ago</span> Luke B-D is absent
Not even in the program. That makes me sad.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

When I saw that Libera was doing an arrangement of Albinoni's Adagio, I knew it would be a winning combination.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Remember this tweet from libera, a few weeks ago?

We can now understand it was the filming of a video of the new song 'Ave Verum Corpus', with Freddie in central position.

Based on the fantastic performance that Freddie gave tonight at the St John Smith Square, the video promises to be truly exceptional. Can't wait to hear and to watch it.

The video will probably be released next year, in connection with the release of the Forever album.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:15 am">1 year ago</span> Remember this tweet from libera, a few weeks ago?

We can now understand it was the filming of a video of the new song 'Ave Verum Corpus', with Freddie in central position.

Based on the fantastic performance that Freddie gave tonight at the St John Smith Square, the video promises to be truly exceptional. Can't wait to hear and to watch it.

The video will probably be released next year, in connection with the release of the Forever album.
It would be an appropriate song to release during the Lenten season.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 am">1 year ago</span>
Mercurial909 wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:44 am">1 year ago</span> In a year when there were times when Libera struggled to get decent audience numbers, they don’t record the Christmas concert for fans that can’t get to concerts? That seems counterintuitive in the extreme.

Being in the US, I share your frustration. However, I think if the video sales had been good enough the past couple of years, they would have made an effort this year even with the different format. If that's the case, the worldwide fanbase has only themselves to blame.
Unfortunately, they may not have enough money to take such risks right now. I doubt there's a billionaire donor ready to write them a blank check. The only solution I can think of would be for Libera to do a fundraiser (like Luca did) to pay for filming expenses.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

By the way, in the speeches it was mentioned that they would soon be releasing two promotional singles for download, one of which would be the Beach Boys song - God Only Knows.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
in2dwww

Post by in2dwww »

It was so worth the travel from Texas. Freddie and Luca were incredible. The new "Lighthouse" song was such a thrill to hear. Overall, they were much more vocal than ever. Their volume was noticeably louder than ever and sometimes I could puck up on the echoes in the room. So worth it! Many thanks for the help on attending this concert!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:02 pm">1 year ago</span> I can reveal most of the set list if interested:

Ding Dong Merrily on high
Sanctus
Walking in the air - Luca
Wexford Carol - Laurence??
Gaudete - Freddie
Sing forever - Joseph Hill & Nathan
Lighthouse - Luca
Voca Me - Luca
Beati - Nathan & Pietro
Libera - Mitchell & Freddie
Conditor alme siderum - The bigs
Carol of the bells - Freddie, Cameron & OH ending
Noel nouvelet - Mitchell, Ethan & Laurence
Come my way - Dan W
Ave Verum (Albinoni) - Freddie
Smile - Mitchell & Victor
Ave Maria (Robert) - Lewis, Luca & Laurence
God only knows - Luca, Daniel & Victor
I saw three ships
Sing for our World (encore)
Thank you for the list and to all for maintaining the secrets! This was the first time I had no look whatsoever at the programme throughout the entire concert and so the only spoilers were done by Libera themselves. :lol: Which was lovely. :)

I did miss Morgan, as he is such a dedicated singer and I love his feather-like voice. I had been hoping that there's a different reason for not finding him on the pre-concert photos.
Yes, it was the very good Laurence on Wexford Carol.
And Mitchell as lead soloist on Noel nouvelet, not Morgan.

It was a brilliant, very, very enjoyable concert with a fantastic choir/solo singing and sound and expression!
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:33 pm">1 year ago</span> We also got solo's from Dan W & Victor which was great.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:46 pm">1 year ago</span>
theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm">1 year ago</span> My biggest wish for the Xmas Libera concert is that DW sings one "last" solo. :cry:
Oh yes, agreed, of course! :D Dear Santa, IF I had just one wish... :roll:
:roll: If only! I would bet against it at this point. :?
Pay up Surpinto. :P

So happy I was right about DW's voice making it to the Libera concert and managing a solo. Partly because I can now be smug about being right, but mostly because I got to hear DW one more time. :mrgreen: