Summer Concerts 2022 - Brighton & Chichester

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Summer Concerts 2022 - Brighton & Chichester

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm">1 year ago</span> Seriously, the concert at St Bart's (Brighton) really needs a larger audience. I know it's a church, but having unlimited free beer would surely bring in a bunch of tourists in the area. The audience might be a little wild, but it wouldn't be any worse than that one theater in China where Libera gave a concert and kids were running around.

OMG! :lol: :lol: LOL! Free beer solves everything!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm sorry, but don't they give away free wine in the churches over there?
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:13 am">1 year ago</span> I'm sorry, but don't they give away free wine in the churches over there?
It's usually rather cheap wine, barely fit for human consumption. I'll stick with the beer.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

To go back to the topic, here a tweet from libera sent during the concert rehearsal at the St. Bartholomew church in Brighton.

- - - - - - -
20220729_162514.jpg
20220729_162514.jpg (530.59 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
20220729_162514.jpg
20220729_162514.jpg (530.59 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
1st row :
Thomas S-H
Pietro
Ethan H
Cory
Frederick H
Luca

2nd row :
Hal
Frederick M
Ludwik
Victor
Lewis

- - - - - - -
20220729_162532.jpg
20220729_162532.jpg (453.05 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
20220729_162532.jpg
20220729_162532.jpg (453.05 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
From left to right:
Oskar
Orlando
Joseph
Daniel
Thomas M
Leon
Laurence D
Julian
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Completed the names after Brighton concert
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

It seems clear that both of the new members were already experienced enough to skip the "mini-boy" stage. They might even be related.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

There were three new singers on stage last night. None of them were minis. All did well, but Mitchel was the attention getter with two solos in his first concert. That doesn’t happen very often.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:40 pm">1 year ago</span>
20220729_162514.jpg

20220729_162532.jpg
Good grief. I hope we get better pictures soon. One looks like they've been zombified, the other looks like they ate that blueberry thing in Willy Wonka.

Thanks for the name updates. Ethan and Frederick are related, then?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:04 pm">1 year ago</span> One looks like they've been zombified, the other looks like they ate that blueberry thing in Willy Wonka.
:lol:
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:04 pm">1 year ago</span>Ethan and Frederick are related, then?
Looking at the photo of names courtesy of fan de lok, I don't see any same last names except the Clarke brothers and the Mushrafi brothers.

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

The only real bummer at this concert is the absence (probably permanent) of Daniel C. He was already reliable on delivering pure sounding high notes, but also emerged as a significant soloist recently. He will certainly be missed.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

We still have Oskar but seem to have lost Oscar. :(

So who is this Mitchel guy... OH! Mitchel Guy.

No photo, but he must have been in the video. Not sure which one, though.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:14 pm">1 year ago</span>
So who is this Mitchel guy... OH! Mitchel Guy.

From Twitter (thanks Patrick)
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.14.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.14.29 PM.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2965 times
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.14.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.14.29 PM.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2965 times
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:40 pm">1 year ago</span> To go back to the topic...
Thanks for this. Now we know what Nathaniel is doing. Looks like he's in good company.

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

It sounds like the second concert was close to perfect, judging by a couple initial reactions.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Hi everyone :) I have been pressured to write a review :mrgreen: (I would have done it anyway)

Sorry I wrote it in french and I am going to translate, I hope it won't be too bad. I might drop some details on the way if it's too complicated, because I wrote an extensive review, 6 pages long...

So, I hope you are ready for the more ecstatic Libera review ever :mrgreen: After the concert I thought this was one of the best two concerts I ever attended, and I still think so. Also I feel really sad that it's already over and I wish I could re-live it...
Thank you to fan_de_Lok, whom notes I am using to write the review and not forget most of it :D

I have to say, I really liked Chichester too. Concerts outside of Libera require a bit more organization, and it is a bit more expensive, though I love to visit beautiful british cathedrals. It feels even more an "out of time" dream than in London. The calm, beautiful weather and the garden sure helped :lol:
So, I am so so, so happy with this trip, glad I could see fans I did not meet since... 2019 ! And also I am grateful I could attend the soundcheck, warming up and all. It is precious.
Chichester cathedral is beautiful and the stage looked awesome with the lights. From the other fans I get that it was visually more satisfying than Brighton, along with the better sound quality. Though, I would have loved to attend Brighton and GET TO SWIM :lol:

My highlights were Sing for Ever, Voca Me, Beati, Lighthouse, and Come My Way. I had 3 new songs to discover, having not attended Ely in May. It is not often than you get 2 new songs at the same time, I was lucky ! :)

FIRST PART

The concert started with Vespera, very similar to last december. The boys had their hands joined in prayer, standing 3/4, Luca in the center. And this time Nathan Slater was doing the vocalise (word spreads that Daniel C might have left Libera). Nathan is really good, he has a great voice, I hope it gets stronger with time because he would benefit from an increased volume. I really enjoyed the way he is focused and tender, also he is always perfectly in tune. When they sing "Sancto spiritu" the boys face the audience and relax their arms, same way they did in December.

Sanctus is a classic, but still great. Luca did the long high notes with Nathan I believe. They stood in half a circle.

Daniel W and Koji did the first speech. I am still bad at remembering who said what and when. I think they introduced the choir and tell about the passing of R. Prizeman, and the last songs he wrote. We learned that "Let Me Make Songs" relies on a famous text from Frances Harper, about the civic rights and abolition of slaving.

Let Me Make Songs, I think the boys made 3 rows. It is a nice hymn, and knowing more about the lyrics added to the song.

Lighthouse is a song by Joshua Madine. There seems to be a debate among the fans, to know whether the song fits Libera or not... so I was eager to hear it, and I loved it ! I get that it is not typical Libera (no latine, no vocalise, a bit jazzy), and I do not think it will often be performed on stage, the soloist needs to be very precise, currently Luca is doing it. I found the lyrics and the music relaxing, and it reminded me of songs like "Touch the Sky", or "Silencium", great ones not often performed on stage and less famous than others. I say well done Joshua ! As you might have expected he is playing the piano a lot on this song. The boys did 3 columns with Luca in the middle, and they moved and spread on the sides, then came back to the columns.

If was performed by Daniel W, who's voice is on top, unfortunately I would be surprised to hear that young voice in December (though I was already surprised it lasted after last December !). Daniel is sort of the second-hand conductor, if Sam and Steven were feeling unwell, he could take over :lol: Young boys are watching him to know what to do and if they did well, also he is always relaxed and perfectly on top. He is also a great interpreter, he is subtile and moving.

Salva Me is a very welcomed back song. As before, groups of boys, they raise their hands in 2 times during the "Salva Me". Joseph Hill did the vocalise. I love his voice ! Just like Nathan, I hope it gets stronger with time, but... he does not lack strenght for his age ! Very impressive.

According to fan_de_Lok's notes, Lewis and Freddie did a speech after that, but what were they talking about ? :twisted: I believe they mentionned the last "If" album, and suggested that "if" you don't have it yet, you are welcome to buy it during the interval. That might have been the speech when they talked about miniboys and big boys too ? I don't know when it happened but at some point during the concert, they mentionned that Steven, Sam, Josh, Raoul and many other former boys were involved with Libera and composing music. They also announced they will release a new album next year, with "many other songs composed by former Libera members". Though it might not have been during that speech at all :lol:

Sing For Ever was one of my highlights, and I know some fans like it better when it is performed with more mature voices, but I really like the arrangement with Joseph H and Nathan on the solo parts, Luca doing the backing vocalise parts. All 3 stood in the center, the rest surrounding them. I like the new arrangement and I feel like a new record would be welcome and would fit the new upcoming album.

Always with you is one of my favourite songs, though I found it a bit less qualitative in regards to this concert, a bit shaky ? I believe Morgan was pretty tensed, and I found him great later during the concert, but a bit hesitant on this song - also I wonder if his voice fits the song really well, or maybe I would like to hear an other sort of voice on this one ? Thomas M did a decent job of the vocalise, though a bit imprecise I believe he has the potentiel to become a great soloist and it was great to hear his voice. Joseph H made quite an impression, his vocalises are strong and precise despite being very young. The staging was this : Morgan stood in the middle, the boys in half a circle, Thomas and Joseph on the right and left in front of the circle.

Stay With Me followed (the two songs make a fine pair), with sort of the same soloists : 1rst verse by Thomas, 2nd by Joseph. I think Thomas was really good on this one, and Joseph still fantastic. The surprise being Laurence D, singing awesome vocalise ! I hope we get to hear more, his voice is powerful and smooth.

Voca Me is back, as I thought it would be since Luca's voice is on top right now for the vocalise. I loved it, I am always impressed with the quality of the "aaaah" at the beginning, in crescendo and perfect rythm. Luca was great. I like the original version better (the DVD Angels sing in America, Thomas DL's delivering is my favourite record so far), but it is about the arrangement, not about the choir quality. The delivering was perfect, the lights beautiful. I noted Daniel and Victor being in the middle, back to back, sort of leading their parts. It was a beautiful moment for these 2 leaders I think.

Daniel and Laurence D made a speech, annoucing the end of the 1rst part, the break when they shall be careful not to spill anything on their "lovely white robes". They mentioned it being the sort of dress ancient monk would wear, though they would not have sang the same way, dividing in 7 parts. And so, Daniel leads the choir singing 7 different notes on "Liberaaaaa". Really nice. They said the next song was, thus, Libera, same name as the choir, that way if you have forgotten the name of the choir and you want to text your friends about it during the interval, here you go :mrgreen:

Libera contained a little surprise : new boy, already a soloist. There were 3 new boys on stage for this tour, new but already fully operational on stage, and older than usual miniboys. Ethan Hutchinson was singing in an other choir with some Libera boys, it seems. Frederick Howarth and Ethan seem to sing middle parts, from what I saw. The surprise soloist being Mitchel Guy. His voice is bright and still young, but quite steady. He did the solo part with Freddie M. Luca helped Mitchel on the final notes, his voice being more powerful.

ENTRACTE

The second part starts with Lux Aeterna. The boys are divided in 2 groups, and they walk from the back of the cathedral along the aisles, until they hop on the stage, singing the plainchant. The big boys sounded amazing on the lower parts. In general, I find them a precious "support". I noticed some of them can still sing quite high parts, like Johnny (you would notice because he is a giant so you see him very well). Morgan did the solo part, a great performance I think, with Victor on the lower parts. At the end, Morgan sort of had an inquisitive look towards Victor, and Victor nodded and smiled, like "yeah this was a good job". Perfect big brother :D

Orinoco Flow is a challenge on stage. They move a lot, they turn right, they turn left... and sometimes they discreetly mix it up :lol: I really like the movements, I don't care so much for the song.

Hal and Laurence D did a speech, mentioning the song being from Enya. They told us the next one was from R. Prizeman.

I wasn't caring too much about Prizeman's Ave Maria, knowing that the solo would be a trio (I miss Merlin's solo, too). Though I was totally enchanted. I think Lewis, Daniel and Luca optimized their homogeneity, being all in the center might have helped. It was beautiful, you could hear all 3 voices and though they completed each other. The boys stood in half a circle surrounding them.

I had great expectations for Far Away, but feared it a bit. The piece requires vocal strenght and tenderness. Luca found the right balance... it was beautiful. I believe it was the first time I heard that piece live, and it is one of the first Libera songs I heared on Youtube, so... moving.

Sacris Solemnis belongs to Freddie. I could not say exactly how, but the arrangement is a bit different from the album, the solo is longer and gives the boy the opportunity to shine. Luca did the final vocalise and Freddie ended it. I think Luca and Nathan did the high parts. The boys stood in half a circle. I think the sound balance was better than it was at SJSS in December. No doubt the boys improve with time, too.

Beati is Raoul Neumann's composition, a very Libera-like one : both english and latine words, vocalises, solo and choir, rythm... Nathan and Luke opened it, facing the audience with the words "Beati quorum via integra est", them melted with the choir... and the choir melted... and again... I don't know how the boys are good enough to be moving on stage and being perfectly in rythm and tune, changing neighbourhood all the time... The soundcheck got me wondering if it was doable, the stage being small. The piece made me think of "Gaudete" : small solo opening, lot of rythms and variations.

Koji and Freddie M did a speech. They said the piece was from Raoul, and the next one, R. Prizeman started to write it and could not finish, so Sam did.

Come My Way... wasn't new to everyone, but it was to me. I loved it. I have to say, Daniel delivered quite a performance, outstanding one, and I wonder if this is a piece the choir will be able to sing without him. It requires a good interpreter and huge voice quality and agility.

Grateful Heart was Luca's, with Daniel supporting. I believe there was no or scarse choir part ? I do not know that piece really well, I listened to it a few time the last week to get familiar with it... and I believe Luca was really good. I actually felt like doing a standing-ovation but did not dare. On stage, Luca is able to be very subtile, which I do not always find him to be when he sings on his own for the social medias. I hope he keeps getting better and he will be subtly directed for his album.

Thomas S-H and (???) did the last speech (the second boy's name is missing from fan_de_LoK's notes, I am lost, I have to make a complain :mrgreen: ), announcing the end of the concert.

I am the day was just perfect. Morgan was outstanding and his voice fits the part really well. I only regret not knowing who was doing the whispering part ? The boys stood on each side, in 2 rows I think, heads down and then up when they sang. Daniel did the final vocalise, flawless... how can his voice sound like that at his age ? :shock:

Standing ovation, 1rst encore :
Sing for Our World, of course. No more "hey", I think the boys are more comfortable that way. A lot of movement on stage, they face and then stand 3/4, then during the long vocalise they form half a circle. It's funny, I have always pictured them doing that in my head. I probably should be working with Libera for the staging 8) I really like this piece as an encore, the boys smile a lot : they are looking at each other, they have fun, and they feel relaxed for the end of the concert !

Second standing ovation, 2nd encore !!!
Smile, Victor and Mitchel sharing the solo. They stand center-stage, Victor starts with his deep mature voice, then hands it to Mitchel, pursuing with his more childish voice, while Victor handles the "aaah" (his voice can be very low and very high right now !!!). Very moving. And I have to say : Mitchel was shining with pride and he makes a fine new Libera's Smile :D

We tried to get a 3rd encore with a 3rd standing ovation, but the boys just waved us goodbye :mrgreen:

What is there to say anymore ?

A lot of miniboys on top, that is reassuring, good soloists too, a lot of potential. I hope Daniel and Victor will find remplacement as the leaders (#BigBrothers). Luca definitely is up to the task, as are Freddie and Nathan. I believe Ludwik is doing a great job with the middle voice. I hope to hear more from mature voices like Luke and Laurence D, but also younger ones, Thomas M, Joseph H, Morgan, Lewis and Mitchel. That's a lot of soloists, actually !

Thank you for the great smiles (Morgan, Lewis, Daniel, Victor, Leon, Thomas S-H, Pietro…), the expressive faces and bouncing (Hal, Cameron, Joseph…), to those who look like the are absorbed within the music (Ludwik and Frederick Howarth, Mitchel whose deep focus reminds me of Thomas DL).

Thank you to Steven, Sam, Raoul, Josh, and the stage managers Kavana, Matthew J, Nathaniel, Isaac (whose name is missing from the program). Quite a Libera team, made of Libera boys... Libera feeds itself :lol:

Special thanks to Kathy Kielty and the photographs for I found the program especially beautiful ! The pictures were carefully chosen.

Thank you to the cathedral staff, I have been hanging in there a lot, and they were so lovely.

I expect that the upcoming album might contain : Lighthouse (Josh), Beati (Raoul), Come My Way (Rob and Sam), Sing for Ever, Grateful Heart, and maybe music composed by Big Ben and Tom Cully ?

EDIT : Oh my, the translation took me one hour and a half !
Last edited by Padmachou on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 pm">1 year ago</span>
I had no trouble understanding your translated review. Anyways, I wish I could have been there to experience it, but that's not an option for me. I'm wondering about the new piece "Lighthouse", because the music that I've heard by Josh isn't particularly dramatic but more hypnotic/ethereal with smooth textures. Is the solo the most important part or just one of several important components? "Come my Way" sounds very promising, and I hope Daniel gets a solo where he can be more dynamic and expressive. As much as I like "If" in terms of overall composition, his solo part is repetitive, with a slow unchanging rhythm.
"Always with You" is one of those songs where the soloists can't really plow through and conceal their nervousness. If you're nervous on that one, it's going to manifest somehow. It's good that Luca's high range is not only still intact, but perhaps better than it ever was before. He may not have the ethereal, 'pure' sound that some singers have on those high notes, but he seems to deliver a very solid sound on those notes. People seem to like "Beati", although the clip I heard wasn't enough for me to form an opinion about it. It almost sounded too "busy" musically speaking, but I suppose that was close to the climax. I hope that any other music by ex-Libera members that gets recorded meets a certain musical standard. I know they want to give an opportunity to their buddies, but ultimately your selling this album to a worldwide audience that just wants to hear good music (myself included).
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.