Any chance for a return to the US this summer?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Thu May 19, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Any chance for a return to the US this summer?

Post by Surpinto »

No. How would they organize visas, flights, concert venues, and all the rest on such a short timetable? Not to mention getting a large enough audience at each venue they would be booked to perform? There are insufficient "hardcore fans" to make any performance viable considering the enormous expenses involved (venue rental, lighting, hiring a small orchestra, etc).

More importantly let us not forget that their funding source for US tours is the registered charity Libera of the US. That organization would have needed to start a fully-fledged fundraiser for several hundred thousand dollars in donations many months ago. There is no way, even if they started today, that such sums could be raised quickly. Given that the flights and other expenses would need to be paid for right now makes it even less reasonable.

In answer: It will 100% not happen.
Celt

Post by Celt »

► Show Spoiler
I think that's right, my guess is their priority is to get back out to Asia. But next summer could be a possibility, as long as everything remains stable travel wise in the next few months. Personally I'd be fine with a nice domestic summer tour... 8) (like the one to Exeter and Christchurch in 2015)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 10:56 am">1 year ago</span> More importantly let us not forget that their funding source for US tours is the registered charity Libera of the US. That organization would have needed to start a fully-fledged fundraiser for several hundred thousand dollars in donations many months ago. There is no way, even if they started today, that such sums could be raised quickly. Given that the flights and other expenses would need to be paid for right now makes it even less reasonable.
As of December 2021, funding was not even close. If we want to see them in 2023, Libera of the US had better get a move on...

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 11:27 am">1 year ago</span>
► Show Spoiler
I think that's right, my guess is their priority is to get back out to Asia. But next summer could be a possibility, as long as everything remains stable travel wise in the next few months. Personally I'd be fine with a nice domestic summer tour... 8) (like the one to Exeter and Christchurch in 2015)
Oops! lol Did not mean to be THAT brutal :lol: Sometimes writing emphatically comes across more stern than it would have been in person. Sorry, Tully :lol: :D To be fair I am trampling my own dreams also, as a US tour would be something I most eagerly welcome!

But I do hold firm on this point that a US tour is an impossibility for the reasons mentioned. :cry:

I would agree that a tour to an Asian country would be their goal right now. But if in fact Celt's dream of a UK tour comes true I may seriously consider joining you.....so long as they announce it soon! Flights are only getting more expensive. Would love to finally meet you, Celt! :D

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 7:53 pm">1 year ago</span> As of December 2021, funding was not even close. If we want to see them in 2023, Libera of the US had better get a move on...
That's right! Having seen how Libera of the US has operated from its inception, there's no way they would organize and initiate that tour right now (in my personal opinion of course) without time to acquire requisite funding. Otherwise they would be left short and unable to pay their expenses - definitely not an option.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 8:59 pm">1 year ago</span> But if in fact Celt's dream of a UK tour comes true I may seriously consider joining you.....so long as they announce it soon! Flights are only getting more expensive. Would love to finally meet you, Celt! :D
Ditto. :)

I'm sure we will eventually, it is inevitable. :lol:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 9:05 pm">1 year ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 8:59 pm">1 year ago</span> But if in fact Celt's dream of a UK tour comes true I may seriously consider joining you.....so long as they announce it soon! Flights are only getting more expensive. Would love to finally meet you, Celt! :D
Ditto. :)

I'm sure we will eventually, it is inevitable. :lol:
Damn right! :lol:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Strangely, in his recent interview, Sam seemed a little bit down on performing in the UK where the abundance of boy choirs makes Libera far less appreciated than they are abroad. It appears there is some financial uncertainty even when the performance is just a bus ride away.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 am">1 year ago</span> Strangely, in his recent interview, Sam seemed a little bit down on performing in the UK where the abundance of boy choirs makes Libera far less appreciated than they are abroad. It appears there is some financial uncertainty even when the performance is just a bus ride away.
There is a lot of competition over here, Cathedral Choirs, Choirs of the Chapel Royal, Schola Cantorums, Abbey Choirs, university college chapel choirs... Pretty much anywhere in the country you have a good quality choir, with a treble top line, within easy reach.

Take Ely for example, they have the Cathedral Boys choir and Cathedral Girls choir, both of which have a good sound but both are a stone's throw from probably the most famous UK choir, King's College Cambridge.

As an alternative to Libera tomorrow, Guildford Cathedral Choir give a concert conducted by John Rutter (which I would definitely have gone to if not for Libera), Peterborough Cathedral Choir have a Spring Concert, and Derby Cathedral Choir have a Platinum Jubilee service... and those are just the three I know about.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celt wrote: <span title="Fri May 20, 2022 8:34 am">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri May 20, 2022 1:39 am">1 year ago</span> Strangely, in his recent interview, Sam seemed a little bit down on performing in the UK where the abundance of boy choirs makes Libera far less appreciated than they are abroad. It appears there is some financial uncertainty even when the performance is just a bus ride away.
There is a lot of competition over here, Cathedral Choirs, Choirs of the Chapel Royal, Schola Cantorums, Abbey Choirs, university college chapel choirs... Pretty much anywhere in the country you have a good quality choir, with a treble top line, within easy reach.

Take Ely for example, they have the Cathedral Boys choir and Cathedral Girls choir, both of which have a good sound but both are a stone's throw from probably the most famous UK choir, King's College Cambridge.

As an alternative to Libera tomorrow, Guildford Cathedral Choir give a concert conducted by John Rutter (which I would definitely have gone to if not for Libera), Peterborough Cathedral Choir have a Spring Concert, and Derby Cathedral Choir have a Platinum Jubilee service... and those are just the three I know about.
True :? Considering how good Libera is, it's a real shame they are so underappreciated. I have more to say about this topic but will continue that discussion in this other thread so as to keep everything on topic and not derail the thread we're currently in into a discussion of other choirs.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 8:59 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Thu May 19, 2022 11:27 am">1 year ago</span>
► Show Spoiler
Oops! lol Did not mean to be THAT brutal :lol: Sometimes writing emphatically comes across more stern than it would have been in person. Sorry, Tully :lol: :D To be fair I am trampling my own dreams also, as a US tour would be something I most eagerly welcome!

That's okay, I don't mind just so long as you can bring down that viscous club as you gaze into my innocent puppy-like eyes. I had forgotten about the Korean tour, squeezing in the US along with Asia would be a difficult feat, particularly in this current global economy.
OTOH Libera has previously surprised us with the announcement of a tour with only a few months warning.
Maybe some of us on this side of the Atlantic should visit the Libera Dreams website, make a donation, etc.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 4:21 am">1 year ago</span>
That's okay, I don't mind just so long as you can bring down that viscous club as you gaze into my innocent puppy-like eyes. I had forgotten about the Korean tour, squeezing in the US along with Asia would be a difficult feat, particularly in this current global economy.
OTOH Libera has previously surprised us with the announcement of a tour with only a few months warning.
Maybe some of us on this side of the Atlantic should visit the Libera Dreams website, make a donation, etc.
I think the Korean tour is now unlikely to go ahead. Countries have different and complicated rules for international travel and the risk of being abroad with an ill child who couldn't get on the flight back home is obviously a concern. Time is swiftly passing and booking venues and selling tickets gets harder as time passes.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

That is a shame, I feel sorry for the boys. The problem is that there is no sign that Covid will completely abate in the foreseeable future.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

In just the past few weeks:

The Grazer Kapellknaben, Bratislavský chlapčenský zbor, and Les Petits Chanteurs de France toured the USA, Český chlapecký sbor Boni pueri went to Croatia, The Palestrina Choir went to Finland, the NINE from Trinity Boys Choir just left for a two-week tour of Germany and Luxembourg, and the Georgia Boy Choir is headed for Iceland.

Those are just the ones I know about.

While it's true that international travel is more difficult these days, some choirs have placed a high priority on rewarding their boys after two years of disappointment.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 am">1 year ago</span> In just the past few weeks:

The Grazer Kapellknaben, Bratislavský chlapčenský zbor, and Les Petits Chanteurs de France toured the USA, Český chlapecký sbor Boni pueri went to Croatia, The Palestrina Choir went to Finland, the NINE from Trinity Boys Choir just left for a two-week tour of Germany and Luxembourg, and the Georgia Boy Choir is headed for Iceland.

Those are just the ones I know about.

While it's true that international travel is more difficult these days, some choirs have placed a high priority on rewarding their boys after two years of disappointment.
:shock: You are really in the loop! I only knew about one of those. For selfish reasons I must now request that you please keep me posted about any east coast tours of any choirs. :wink: :D