Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Schola Cantorum

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I wonder if this choir has ever had a pair of treble singers as good as Kaelan and Malakai. They had two very good ones a few years ago. One of them is currently an excellent Bass singer in the Schola from what I've heard. The other one was involved in a production of Britten's "Turn of the Screw". However, I think the current pair is even better.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 1:46 am">11 months ago</span> I wonder if this choir has ever had a pair of treble singers as good as Kaelan and Malakai. They had two very good ones a few years ago. One of them is currently an excellent Bass singer in the Schola from what I've heard. The other one was involved in a production of Britten's "Turn of the Screw". However, I think the current pair is even better.
Their treble line really took off when they partnered with Anita Morrison to train their trebles around 2005. Then Scott Price (2012-) took them to another level in developing soloists for their annual Handel's Messiah and Ceremony of Carols performances. Their trebles now make regular appearances at Covent Garden and on Danny Elfman's soundtracks.

You'd really have to be an ardent fan who attended concerts to know much about their soloists prior to the pandemic because they didn't really do videos until then.

I do know they had some rando soloist named Isaac around 2014-2015. :wink:

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 3:12 am">11 months ago</span> I do know they had some rando soloist named Isaac around 2014-2015. :wink:
:lol: :wink:
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 10:30 am">11 months ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 3:12 am">11 months ago</span> I do know they had some rando soloist named Isaac around 2014-2015. :wink:
They had him quite some time longer than that, lol.
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 1:46 am">11 months ago</span> I wonder if this choir has ever had a pair of treble singers as good as Kaelan and Malakai. They had two very good ones a few years ago. One of them is currently an excellent Bass singer in the Schola from what I've heard. The other one was involved in a production of Britten's "Turn of the Screw". However, I think the current pair is even better.
Sam Lyne-Hall? Fantastic treble, wonderful Bass. Best singer of the Dec 2022 Messiah for me. A remarkably settled and assured Bass for his age, and still just a great tone and superb musicality. He asserts on his Linkedin that he is an aspiring opera singer. I wouldn't bet against him.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:02 am">11 months ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed May 31, 2023 10:30 am">11 months ago</span>
They had him quite some time longer than that, lol.
Sam Lyne-Hall? Fantastic treble, wonderful Bass. Best singer of the Dec 2022 Messiah for me. A remarkably settled and assured Bass for his age, and still just a great tone and superb musicality. He asserts on his Linkedin that he is an aspiring opera singer. I wouldn't bet against him.
Sam was one of the two. I don't think the other one is with the choir anymore.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:07 am">11 months ago</span> Sam was one of the two. I don't think the other one is with the choir anymore.
Sholto McMillan?

I saw the RPOAT production, but got the other Miles...
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:12 am">11 months ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:07 am">11 months ago</span> Sam was one of the two. I don't think the other one is with the choir anymore.
Sholto McMillan?

I saw the RPOAT production, but got the other Miles...
Yes, that's the one.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:14 am">11 months ago</span> Yes, that's the one.
He was a Bass in the 2022 Spring St John Passion, but that was presumably his last year.

Edit: Funnily enough, the one time I took my mother to the CVMS Messiah, she heard Sholto as a Treble and even my mother (who is musically inept) thought he was fantastic...
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Saw Hansel and Gretel last night at the Opera Holland Park. A fun and engaging opera, easy to follow, and at times sung so clearly in German I could follow along without the surtitles! The boys from CVMS and girls from GCHS were mostly on in a scene at the end but with some of them as extras in other parts. Toby from CVMS alongside a girl from GCHS, had various little roles including pushing the moon boat around. Great singing from the kids, which added a joyous chorus to celebrate the brutal death of the witch in the oven... :lol: Actually, they got around the otherwise rather unpleasant plot point of the witch being burnt alive, by making the oven turn the witch into a giant cake instead! :roll:

The music from Engelbert Humperdinck (no, not that one, the German composer with the identical name...) was very enjoyable, if not particularly outstanding. But the production was excellent and was well worth going to see. I was right at the back on a raised platform of two rows, in the cheapo last minute Monday Rush seats, but although they are far from the stage these seats do have the benefit of a completely unobstructed view, no ridiculously tall people to sit in front of you!
► Show Spoiler
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I had worked it out already, as it was the only production with a large treble role in the autumn at the ROH, but has now been confirmed by CVMS, which is that Kaelan will by playing the Angel in Handel's Jephtha at the ROH in November.

It has a fantastic treble aria in Act 3:

Given how much I enjoyed Handel's Alcina, I will definitely be trying for a cheap ticket for this one.

Kaelan in any other choir would be their star treble! But when you're in a choir with Malakai and the boys from that "other choir", plus some other excellent voices, you have to share the limelight a bit. But Kaelan has a voice that deserves some of attention!!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Glad you enjoyed the performance! They seem to have a lot of talent in their ranks at the moment.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

CVMS posting reminders of their next concert again today. I really wish I could make it, but Buckfast Abbey is trillions of miles away in Devon. A place so remote and strange, the monstrous inhabitants put the cream on their scones, BEFORE the jam... :o :o :o

But, although unlikely, I have not entirely ruled out trying to attend...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:42 pm">10 months ago</span>
CVMS posting reminders of their next concert again today. I really wish I could make it, but Buckfast Abbey is trillions of miles away in Devon. A place so remote and strange, the monstrous inhabitants put the cream on their scones, BEFORE the jam... :o :o :o

But, although unlikely, I have not entirely ruled out trying to attend...
:lol:

Just a few hours by train? How bad could it be? :mrgreen: