Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: Schola Cantorum

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The Schola has updated its diary on its Website.

They published the details about the tour in Normandy, France, in July.
No info about tickets yet.
Perhaps free entrance (?)

https://www.scholacantorum.co.uk/copy-of-the-schola

The tour will be composed of 2 sung Masses and 3 concerts in just 3 days of time.

• Sunday 16 July - 11 am, Sung Mass
    Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption, Vimoutiers Map
    ​ 
  • Sunday 16 July - 8.30 pm, Concert
    Bayeux Cathedral Map

• Monday 17 July - 7.30 pm, Concert Map
    Eglise St Jean, Caen

• Tuesday 18 July - 6.30 pm, Sung Mass
    Lisieux Cathedral Map

• Tuesday 18 July -8.30 pm, Concert
    Lisieux Cathedral Map

​I drew a map showing the 4 locations on the same chart
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

​The Schola announced as well a tour in Japan, for dates 24 August to 1 September
This is not really a surprise, there is a Japanese twitter account that announces such tour since weeks, and tickets are already on sale in Japan.
This will not concern the whole choir. As far as I know from that twitter account, only 4 boys will go to Japan.
Names are visible in the image that adorns the tickets selling sites, like this one.
But from a recent tweet it was said that FM will not go to Japan and will be replaced by another boy.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Sounds like a nice tour! The closest I have been was Mortagne-au-Perche for a concert some years ago.

Their first mass is not far from the village of Camembert. :D :mrgreen:

Yes, THAT Camembert... *drool*

That Japan tour seems quite odd, and yeah I noticed FM already dropped out. His replacement sang the Vavilov Ave Maria in the recent Rejoice concert and has a great voice.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Ooooh I should be able to attend at least one :D I hope they will share information about the tickets soon.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

A podcast episode that is well worth a listen! Hosted by Nicholas Mulroy.
Celtic wrote: <span title="Thu May 11, 2023 12:59 pm">11 months ago</span> ...the standout Tenor for me was Nicholas Mulroy for CVMS who is expressive and engaging and quite captivating in his performance.
With Anita Morrison.
j8000 wrote: <span title="Fri May 12, 2023 12:22 pm">11 months ago</span> I believe the LOS and CVMS trebles have the same singing teacher - Anita Morrison who also teaches St John's Cambridge and for many years prior trained the trebles of Westminster Cathedral.
And Scott Price!

I'm half way through and it's really interesting.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Seems there are a lot of Japanese concerts this year: Libera, CVMS, and so many more. Glad for the Japanese choral fans certainly.
Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 pm">10 months ago</span> Their first mass is not far from the village of Camembert. :D :mrgreen:

I'm tempted to make a cheesy joke, but I'll avoid it for now. I wouldn't want to poke holes in my reputation.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:13 pm">10 months ago</span> Seems there are a lot of Japanese concerts this year: Libera, CVMS, and so many more. Glad for the Japanese choral fans certainly.
Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 pm">10 months ago</span> Their first mass is not far from the village of Camembert. :D :mrgreen:

I'm tempted to make a cheesy joke, but I'll avoid it for now. I wouldn't want to poke holes in my reputation.
Set your mind at cheese.

After all where would the forum brie without you?

You're so grate, and though some will think that anything you can do, they can do feta. They simply curd not be more wrong.

I finished that podcast above and I do really recommend it. Nicholas Mulroy, Anita Morrison and Scott Price. Here's the spotify:

I guess Japan had extended pandemic restrictions from what I vaguely remember reading?? So, they are clearly making up for lost time!

Gouda go now, have a brie-lliant day.
Last edited by Celtic on Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:43 pm">10 months ago</span> Gouda go now, have a brie-lliant day.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Anyone planning to attend the concerts in France, Normandie ?

I am planning to go to the Bayeux concert. It is fairly accessible by train, from Paris. I found a cheap hostel with a shared dormitory 10 min distance from the cathedral. The train station is 10 min distance from the cathedral as well (opposite direction from the hostel though :roll: ).
If anyone needs help to organize, french being a difficulty, or to understand better anything, you can reach to me !
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:10 pm">10 months ago</span> Anyone planning to attend the concerts in France, Normandie ?
Yes, I plan on attending all three plus the Mass in Vimoutiers. Do you have any information about tickets?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Buckfast!

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Ready to storm the beaches of Normandy...

F1E-Cv3XsAEbzH9.jpg
F1E-Cv3XsAEbzH9.jpg (144.42 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
F1E-Cv3XsAEbzH9.jpg
F1E-Cv3XsAEbzH9.jpg (144.42 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
2023-07-15_07-11-33.jpg
2023-07-15_07-11-33.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
2023-07-15_07-11-33.jpg
2023-07-15_07-11-33.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well, I have attended the concert tonight at the cathedral of Bayeux. It was well worth 2 and a half hours of train, though I was a bit disappointed it was only 1 hour of concert. And they gave us a programme with at least 4 pieces they did not sang. :cry: Apparently they were on tight schedule with their bus... I will be curious to know if they will sing the full programme in Caen or Lisieux...

They started with James McMillan's O Radiant Dawn and A New Song.
Then William Byrd's Ne Irascaris Domine.
Malakai had a solo in Mozart's Laudate Dominum.
And Ave Maris Stella by Edvard Grieg.

And then it was the full Requiem from Gabriel Fauré. A nice solo part from Kaelan on the Pie Jesu. Two big boys did a great job on solo parts as well.

The Lord Bless You and Keep You by John Rutter as an encore.

It really was good music but it really was too short in my opinion. I would have loved to hear many more soloists, they have so many good ones.

The church was full. It made me think that Libera could fill a church there in Normandy where people seem to be used to receiving british boychoirs, but of course the cost of such a concert might be too high.

The CVMS Schola Cantorum really is a great choir and their director is awesome.

For some who have been wondering if a certain boy's voice will still be up to a certain song for this summer USA tour... the answer is yes, very much ! Oh I wish he had sang a solo tonight... but even with the whole choir he could be heard so brightly ! :D
Some other well known boy, who can not sing as a treble anymore, is singing as an alto and I spotted him singing tenor parts as well. I am curious to how vast his range is right now. :D
Of course there were several well known boys on stage tonight :roll:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:18 pm">9 months ago</span> Well, I have attended the concert tonight at the cathedral of Bayeux...
Why all the frowny faces? Didn't they get to meet Padma?

Someone does look a little younger with his new haircut.

F1L4CvwXgAASMmC.jpg
F1L4CvwXgAASMmC.jpg (482.22 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
F1L4CvwXgAASMmC.jpg
F1L4CvwXgAASMmC.jpg (482.22 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:56 pm">9 months ago</span>
And I bet you have not spotted the little bro, stuck between a tall one and one that sings forever ! You can barely see the hair :lol: I wonder if the boys have to buy their own robes... or if there is a stack of robes at school. This small boy has a robe sort of too big for him...
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:10 pm">9 months ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:56 pm">9 months ago</span>
And I bet you have not spotted the little bro, stuck between a tall one and one that sings forever ! You can barely see the hair :lol: I wonder if the boys have to buy their own robes... or if there is a stack of robes at school. This small boy has a robe sort of too big for him...
You're right. I looked at that and thought it must be the corner of a song book or something. LOL.

I did spot the nose and cheek of another one, though.