Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Celt

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Performances

Post by Celt »

j8000 wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 am">2 years ago</span> London's other Schola Cantorum has a concert in London next week for anyone who might be able to attend (I wish I could). In my opinion they're the best at what they do now that Westminster Cathedral choir has been dismembered by the powers that be.

Details here:

https://www.londonoratoryschola.com/diary/tenebrae
Oh, interesting, thanks. I stopped following the LOS a couple of years ago, because I find the director's music choices to be overwhelmingly dull, with rare opportunities for solo trebles. :shock: But perhaps it is time to try them again. :? The quality of the singing was always good.

As for Westminster Cathedral Choir, I heard them sing Mozart's Requiem along with the Choir of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral in Nov 2017, which was superb, and earlier that same year a concert of Tallis, Allegri and MacMillan, which was also fantastic. But the last time I saw them in December 2018, the quality of the singing was really sub-par. I think they were already going through their internal turmoil at this time. I haven't tried them since.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

In my opinion they're the best at what they do now that Westminster Cathedral choir has been dismembered by the powers that be.
[/quote] What happened to the Westminster Cathedral choir? I attended a Mass in 2014 during my only ( for now ) trip to England and the choir was amazing! I'm sad to hear that things are not doing well. It doesn't even have a contract with Hiperyon records anymore, in 2020 the London Oratory took its place after more than 30 years!
The heaven soars with voices above...
Celt

Post by Celt »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:43 am">2 years ago</span>
j8000 wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 am">2 years ago</span> In my opinion they're the best at what they do now that Westminster Cathedral choir has been dismembered by the powers that be.
What happened to the Westminster Cathedral choir? I attended a Mass in 2014 during my only ( for now ) trip to England and the choir was amazing! I'm sad to hear that things are not doing well. It doesn't even have a contract with Hiperyon records anymore, in 2020 the London Oratory took its place after more than 30 years!
This article explains it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... er-resigns

Basically they changed the boarding for the choristers to be weekdays only which meant no singing mass on Friday's and Saturday's. Some of the parents and the director of music disagreed and it seems that the director resigned as a result. However, I got the impression from talking to others who knew a bit about it, that there had been a general lack of support for the choir leading up to that change and resignation. But that is just supposition, on my part.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Celt wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:46 pm">2 years ago</span>
Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:43 am">2 years ago</span>
j8000 wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 am">2 years ago</span> In my opinion they're the best at what they do now that Westminster Cathedral choir has been dismembered by the powers that be.
What happened to the Westminster Cathedral choir? I attended a Mass in 2014 during my only ( for now ) trip to England and the choir was amazing! I'm sad to hear that things are not doing well. It doesn't even have a contract with Hiperyon records anymore, in 2020 the London Oratory took its place after more than 30 years!
This article explains it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... er-resigns

More here: https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/we ... ag-orders/
j8000

Post by j8000 »

Celt wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:02 am">2 years ago</span>
j8000 wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:33 am">2 years ago</span> London's other Schola Cantorum has a concert in London next week for anyone who might be able to attend (I wish I could). In my opinion they're the best at what they do now that Westminster Cathedral choir has been dismembered by the powers that be.

Details here:

https://www.londonoratoryschola.com/diary/tenebrae
Oh, interesting, thanks. I stopped following the LOS a couple of years ago, because I find the director's music choices to be overwhelmingly dull, with rare opportunities for solo trebles. :shock: But perhaps it is time to try them again. :? The quality of the singing was always good.
For solos you might be better off attending their Bach B Minor Mass in May:

This has several soprano/alto solos/duets.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Tonight's concert was great, with some nice solos. Here are some of the soloists...
► Show Spoiler
Next Wednesday's Mozart Requiem should also feature members of the Schola, I think. But it should be worth a trip anyway.

DW sung the alto-aria "Von den Stricken meiner Sünden" and FM sang the Soprano-aria "Ich folge dir gleichfalls" oh yeah and I was sat two seats away from FM's brother TM... :D
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:00 pm">2 years ago</span>
FM sang the Soprano-aria "Ich folge dir gleichfalls"
So jealous. I would have loved to have heard this... well, all of them really. But especially that one!
oh yeah and I was sat two seats away from FM's brother TM... :D
LOL. Did you ask for an autograph?
Celt

Post by Celt »

:lol: Sadly, no. Even if I had something to sign, I wouldn't have asked.
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:28 am">2 years ago</span>
Celt wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:00 pm">2 years ago</span> FM sang the Soprano-aria "Ich folge dir gleichfalls"
So jealous. I would have loved to have heard this... well, all of them really. But especially that one!
I listened to Aksel Rykkvin's version on the way home, FM isn't really in that league, but for a live performance it was pretty good.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

A couple photos from their FB page...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:16 am">2 years ago</span> A couple photos from their FB page...
Yeah, I saw their official photographer was there, hence I didn't take many of my own. Great to see so many shots of the back of my head. :roll: I'm not balding yet. :lol:
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Celt wrote: <span title="Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:40 pm">2 years ago</span> A soloist from CVMS is on the soundtrack from the upcoming Batman movie which was recorded at Abbey Road last October. :)

While the soloist is not named, I have a strong suspicion that it is someone we know quite well. 8)
► Show Spoiler
This was just posted most recently. Perhaps this confirms DW🙂.

seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
Celt

Post by Celt »

So in the end I didn't go to the LOS concert and I didn't make the CVMS Mozart Requiem as I was away. There was a Mozart's Requiem by the St Philip's Choir on the Sunday just after that, which I also missed. Did anyone make the CVMS one? I would be interested to know who the soloists were in that one, as I suspect there would have been significant overlap between the two concerts.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Happy Easter Libera fans and ofcourse the Scola Cantorum fans

---------------------------------
Quiz time: how many familiar faces can u find?
Prize: an extra Easter Egg :D
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi