Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Celt

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Performances

Post by Celt »

Made it to La Boheme! :D Really enjoyable opera, started a bit silly but got quite good as soon as the moonlight serenading began. Boys were on in Act II with some, like the instantly recognizable LQ, staying on stage the whole act. They wore covid facemasks so a bit difficult to work out who was who, but I still managed to identify four of them... pretty sure it was V who did the short solo. No bows for any of the ensemble cast, I guess they get sent home after Act II.
► Show Spoiler
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:10 pm">2 years ago</span> Made it to La Boheme! :D Really enjoyable opera, started a bit silly but got quite good as soon as the moonlight serenading began. Boys were on in Act II with some, like the instantly recognizable LQ, staying on stage the whole act. They wore covid facemasks so a bit difficult to work out who was who, but I still managed to identify four of them... pretty sure it was V who did the short solo. No bows for any of the ensemble cast, I guess they get sent home after Act II.
► Show Spoiler
Whoa. Nice seat! I didn't know you were among the nobility.

Celt

Post by Celt »

Second row stalls. Reserved for special people only, you know. 8)

Or... I might possibly have got it cheap on a discount site, £125 seat reduced to £30. :D

I hadn't seen that Twitter post when I booked, but I had seen the one about the other boys returning to Tosca and gambled that La Boheme would be the same. You have to grab good discount seats before someone else does! I was lucky it worked out!

Even though I knew they were only on in Act II I was still happy to see them, and they were on stage longer than I expected! LQ with his hair was so easy to pick out I could see exactly where he was all through the act. :D I had also suspected they weren't at the bow as I had only seen bow photos of the main cast on social media (ENO actively encourages photos at the bow through a message on the surtitles screen) hence why I risked a quick vid, that voice at the start is V. I was right, as none of the large ensemble of adults and children made it to the bow, which is a shame, but understandable as they have no role in the production after the interval, so pointless them staying!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The three older boys have already proven themselves, but the three Year 7's are showing some great potential.

LBD has a fine voice and is a solid performer. We have yet to hear LD's singing voice in isolation, but he's one my eyes always go to when in search of a smile. He has a warm presence and is an excellent speaker. Then there's LQ with that curly mop and endearing smile. He's quite the crowd pleaser and could easily become a fan favorite over the next couple of years.

The future looks bright for both groups.
Celt

Post by Celt »

It is all good experience for them, and there was an element of acting involved alongside the singing.

I'm still hoping to see Tosca, but tickets for that one are more difficult. Far fewer dual choir members in that group, but plenty of good exclusively CVMS singers. It's just a nice excuse to see an opera that has been on my "to see" list for a while... a bit like La Bohème. :D ✅
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the video and glad you enjoyed the concert, Celt! :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

As much as I would have loved to have used my proper camera for better quality, it just wasn't worth risking given that there are no major solo parts. The clip I posted is missing the start of V's one line, which I do actually have in full, but he literally only sings "Want a trumpet, want a horse!" He doesn't get either :cry: and DW is the one who comforts him :D and that's it! The rest of the singing is all chorus bits.

But yes, I did enjoy it! I generally do enjoy opera. The last thing I saw at the ENO, in October of last year, was Satyagraha, a Philip Glass Opera which was astounding and quite sublime. But I have two problems... I am not that experienced with opera to know what I should spend my money on to go and see, and secondly, I just can't afford it unless I can get lucky on a cheap ticket! Hence why I have mostly opted for CVMS tie-ins.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Made it...
20220222_191955.jpg
Tosca 8)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

How was it? Even though I like opera music in general I have never cared for Puccini - too melodramatic or musically uninteresting aside from a few famous arias. Not that I question his genius at composition, it's just not music that suits me.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Interesting you should say that. I really liked La Boheme, it was amusing, engaging, heartfelt and ultimately enjoyable. I definitely felt at the end of the show that I would happily see it again.

Tosca... not so much. Ok, there were bits that were good, but in general I really found it a bit underwhelming, and yes, you have nailed it, musically uninteresting.

I think the narrative compensated in La Boheme.

But compared to the Magic Flute, which has great music and a great narrative and great arias...

I'd see Magic Flute anytime I could get a cheap ticket, but I'd probably leave Tosca.

That said, I'm still glad I went. I saw the CVMS boys as naughty urchins and angelic choirboys in Act I. Plus I can tick it off my list.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Fair enough! As we know so well, different music touches people differently; or not at all. There are even some who shockingly don't care for Libera :shock: ...as appalling as this state of affairs might be, and as pitiable as these individuals are :roll: :lol:

Anyway, I agree with you about Magic Flute as someone who adores much of Mozart's music. His operas as well as his liturgical music are undoubtedly some of the best in their genre.

While I'm certain I've listened to recordings, I don't believe that I ever saw La Boheme or Tosca live. I know I saw Madama Butterfly.

Anyhow, a live experience certainly differs markedly from just a recording. In fact, I only registered at LDF back in 2014 after having seen my first live Libera concert - this after having been a fan and buying all of the recordings for the previous 10 years! A live performance can be a very different experience to be sure.

Please continue keeping us posted about all your musical adventures :D
Celt

Post by Celt »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:30 am">2 years ago</span> Fair enough! As we know so well, different music touches people differently; or not at all. There are even some who shockingly don't care for Libera :shock: ...as appalling as this state of affairs might be, and as pitiable as these individuals are :roll: :lol:
Dear Lord, those poor souls.😱 I guess everyone has their burden to carry. 😥
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:30 am">2 years ago</span>
Anyway, I agree with you about Magic Flute as someone who adores much of Mozart's music. His operas as well as his liturgical music are undoubtedly some of the best in their genre.
Mozart's Requiem 🥰 and many other pieces too.
While I'm certain I've listened to recordings, I don't believe that I ever saw La Boheme or Tosca live. I know I saw Madama Butterfly.

Anyhow, a live experience certainly differs markedly from just a recording. In fact, I only registered at LDF back in 2014 after having seen my first live Libera concert - this after having been a fan and buying all of the recordings for the previous 10 years! A live performance can be a very different experience to be sure.
I was a floating Libera supporter until I saw them in concert for the first time in Guildford 2015. Changed my perspective completely.
Please continue keeping us posted about all your musical adventures :D
I have a ticket for CVMS on the 23rd March. Although before that I have a ticket for the choirs of New College, Christ Church and Magdalen together in a three choirs concert in the Sheldonian theatre in Oxford, which I'm trying not to get too excited about, but which I hope/expect will be amazing. 😬
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:34 pm">2 years ago</span> I have a ticket for the choirs of New College, Christ Church and Magdalen together in a three choirs concert in the Sheldonian theatre in Oxford, which I'm trying not to get too excited about, but which I hope/expect will be amazing. 😬
Speaking of New College, I recently watched this video from 2018 and found it to be well worth the price.

Celt

Post by Celt »

I was once at a lunchtime concert at New College, enjoying the delightful sound of their best treble singing a solo and was told by his mother that he was one of the last boys to be chosen by Higgi. Clearly knew how to pick a good voice!!

I bought that film and got the associated extras. Well worth it!