Live at Arundel - The concert in May 2009

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Song you'd like most to hear at Arundel?

Locus iste
5%
Adoramus
No votes
Love and Mercy
No votes
Always With You
14%
Libera
No votes
Salva Me
No votes
You Were There
19%
How Can I Keep From Singing?
33%
...something else (indicate in reply)
29%

Total votes: 21

tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks for another fine in-depth report. As I suspected Arundel was basically a repeat of the Japanese/American shows swapping out Tom Cully for Zak (although you guys got the encore!).

It also sounds as though practice is helping to make perfect as the two roughest performances by far in the California concerts were both singled out by you as having been delivered well.
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

:shock: wow, kthomp: thanks for the detailed report!

It's great to hear that the transition into the next generation has begun and is going on smoothly. I hope some of the now-older members hang around, though...the voice-breaking transition will probably still be hard, especially on Tom. Thanks for such a comprehensive report--and I'm glad your mum didn't plug her iPod in during the concert!
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

Many thanks Dani and kthomp for the reports .And the same Liberation said :"'wish I was there''
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Nice write up Kara - although puppy or no puppy, nothing would have prevented me from staying for the HCIKFS encore ;) lol

Nice balanced review, and you described the songs well. It seems like there is that tricky transition phase is going on, were some boys are getting older and their voices are changing, but the mini boys are still getting used to performing solo's and being in the spotlight. However by all accounts they are improving at a rapid rate.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Dani and kthompson, thanks so much for your reports. :) Those of us who are on the other side of the world live vicariously through these reviews.

kthompson, what did your mom think of the concert?

It's a pity that Ed only sang one solo. But I think RP is trying to toe a fine line between trying to make the most of the older boys' voices and developing the younger ones so that Libera can transition smoothly to the younger generation when the older boys' voices change.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

libera36

Post by libera36 »

Thanks so much for the reviews everybody! :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

LoL

Kavana did not have sneezes thats his laugh. I was on 3rd row and he started to do his little speech and he started to laugh, he then said sorry and started again to then start laughing again which again he said sorry for and then finally gave the little speech. It was really cute to see and everyone was going awww where i was :)

Liam also got confused in his speech but with him it seemed he was trying to speak to fast or something and so got slighty muddled , again it was funny to see as singing wise they are all so perfect. But Ben had the best speechs about how they look like ghosts and anoother one on how some of them get scared but he was brave and so he didnt. He made the whole church laugh. He is a little showman.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

kjackson83 wrote:
RiseInGlory wrote:Some photos have been posted on the French forum by Fan_de_LoK

http://libera-dream.exprimetoi.net/disc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 9-t289.htm
:D they look like a pack of trick-or-treaters on Hallowe'en dressed up as little ghosts...

lol If you were drinking in that pub, and you knew absolutely nothing about Libera at all, and saw them walking past the window like that you would be checking the strength of the beer you were drinking lol

Cute little scene, they are like little sheep being herded by their shepherd - Robert Prizeman :)

dani wrote:But Ben had the best speechs about how they look like ghosts and anoother one on how some of them get scared but he was brave and so he didnt. He made the whole church laugh. He is a little showman.
Yes, everything I hear about Mini Ben and his comedy routines, suggest he always get's a chuckle from the audience. Nice to know they change it every now and again too, because last year, he was doing the 'bumping into the mike stand, because their hoods are too large' as shown in their Norwood 2007 video. Hopefully they will include excerpts from mini ben's comedy sketches in their next highlights video.
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i tell you what the food in that pub smealt gorgeous it was very hard not to walk in on the way home, ben was very funny obviously completely confident with being in libera, still cant believe he travels sometime up to an hour to get to rehearsals .... thats dedication :D
When you miss me just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

kthomp wrote:ben was very funny obviously completely confident with being in libera, still cant believe he travels sometime up to an hour to get to rehearsals .... thats dedication :D
This comment made me wonder again about how many Liberans are actually St. Philip's members anymore.
When I first learned about Libera, I assumed this was true of all its members, though its website pointedly states they will consider boys of any denomination or none for that matter.

I guess another way of looking at this is that being a member of Libera has become such a big deal that parents are willing to accept these kind of inconveniences to ensure their child's place in the group.
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

All of the boys attend St. Philips as one of the requirements are that they sing in the services. They don't however, require you to be a Christian or even of the Anglican denomination.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

Hey everyone, ive only just got back so i thought i would give you all my account of the show!

we arrived early to the cathedral - about 5.45pm and there was already a small Q formed! we ended up stood behind Stefans family so I had a lovely chat with his mum about what its like having a son in libera and how proud she was of him - it was really nice!
we then went in and i was sat about 5 rows from the front, unfortunately behind someone with big hair which meant i had to move around quite alot to see what i wanted!!
Adoramus/Gloria - a great start to the show, i particularly liked how easily the songs changed into eachother! Tom was at the back with jonathan and oliver singing the low parts at the end of Adormus
Far Away - I think mini ben did a good job of this song (and im hard to impress because i love toms version!) Kavana was great on the high notes! also i noticed tom miming along the words right at the beginning - it must be quite hard for him!
Love and Mercy - Josh did a lovely job on this as usual!
Sancte - wow, what a song! liam was incredible on this - the 2nd "creator" bit was better than the first! there were a few boys singing the first verse (like in america i think!)
Secret - im not a huge fan of this song but i do prefere it live! i liked the actions - josh walking out from in between the others!
Salva Me - i had seen youtube videos of this from california and thought they were amazing so was very much looking forward to hearing it for myself and i was not disappointed! Stefan has an incredible voice, so clear its almost piercing! he did an amazing job and he def has a future as a key soloist!
Sanctus - amazing as always! i thought i saw Stefan doing the high parts but other people have said others so i may have been mistaken!
Always With You - Alex singing the main part did well, he was abit off in some places but overall did a great performance. Kavana singing the high parts was great, his voice hasnt got quite the same control as Toms did but you can tell it will do once hes had as much practice as Tom!
I am the Day - Josh and Sam did a lovely job as always, the last chorus was great as well!

Interval - I ended up chatting to Stefans family again, they were all very pleased to hear i was enjoying the concert so much!!

Sakura - a very short song that i didnt really get chance to get into before it ended really!
May the road rise up - wow, this was amazing! Flynn did an incredible job, his voice had so much control and he sounded so confident when he was singing - def one of my favourite songs of the night.
Hymn to Beauty - I wasnt overly keen on this song really, it didnt have the same effect as some of the others!
Prayer - Freddie and James were so cute in this! not overly powerful voices but they are only tiny! not usually a song i like but i enjoyed this performance!
You Were There - This song made me think Toms voice hasnt broken yet - although Josh sang the solo (very well, I just biased because I love Toms version!) Tom joined in with mini ben, liam and ed to sing the "you are shelter from the storm" bit which is pretty high! maybe his voice hasnt quite broken yet (although he was singing the low parts with jonathan) but robert didnt want to change all the solos around again?
Orinoco Flow - very nie harmonies, my bf loved this one! (even if he did keep calling in "orinocho flow"!)
Mysterium - Ed was amazing on this, very clear and still perfect on the high notes!
Sacris Solemnis - ive never heard this all the way through before but throughly enjoyed it, i though Stefan was singing the high parts again but i may be mistaken!
Stay With Me - after the reviews from california about daniel not being so good at this song, my expectations were low but he absolutely blew me away! i though he did a great job on it, getting stronger as the song went on! Liam was amazing as usual, seeming to hit the high note with no effort at all!
Going Home - another song im not overly keen on but the boys did a great job!
Libera - what a way to end a concert! i though liam did a great job all the way through - especially the last 3 "aeterna"s!!
How can i keep from singing - i was surprised Josh didnt do a solo but the song was very good, a lovely way to fully round off everything!

Overall i had an amazing time at my first Libera concert! i was dissapointed with the lack of meet and greet but did manage to get a few (poor quality) pictures of the boys at the end! it was great to see Tom back with everyone although in some ways i was sad not to see him sing some songs that i associate with him! I hope everyone else who went throughly enjoyed their time in Arundel!
Danie :D
Liberation
Silver Member

Post by Liberation »

Great story, danieb88 !! Like I said before : I wish I could be there but unfortunaly.
There are already 2 video's on youtube :

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

also does anyone have sacris solemnis or mysterium they could send me? id love to have them on my ipod but cant get them from itunes!
Danie :D
Lady Lolly

Post by Lady Lolly »

Thank you so much for posting the links :)