Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by TullyBascombe »

Will there be singing accompanying the Bacchanale and Beethoven's Ninth?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:38 am">2 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 pm">2 years ago</span> The Ely Box Office website of the Libera concert shows a glance on the programme I have only noticed today. Don't know if it was there before:
https://www.elycathedral.org/events/libera

It announces:

"Saint-Saens Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila
[...]
"

Saint-Saëns's Bacchanale! :o
Wow, a bacchanale inside a Cathedral? The tabloids will have a field day with that! I'm joking of course. I would imagine that the melody which is first introduced at the 2:21 mark will feature prominently in their arrangement. However, the happy theme may be included as well. Beyond that, I'm not going to try guessing how much of the other music will be included. I wonder what the choreography will be like for such a wild piece?
I was wondering too if they restrict themselves to one of the calmer themes, but I think there are a number of possible scenarios what to do with such a piece, including a bigger part of the orchestra, just for example. And yes, a Bacchanale; this made me also wonder if the website authors confused something, but on the other hand it is so explicitly said that it's that piece from that opera, so is it likely to have been confused ...? Also it could be an only-instrumental piece, which is often done in choir concerts to let the orchestra or organ not merely have the accompanying part. But in a Libera-concert? And would such an instrumental piece be used as no. 1 in an announcement?

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am">2 years ago</span> Will there be singing accompanying the Bacchanale and Beethoven's Ninth?
Beethoven's Ninth :wink:

[And thanks to the moderator who shifted my post from the wrong thread over here. It must have already been my normal sleeping time yesterday. 8) :) ]
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:46 pm">2 years ago</span> The Ely Box Office website of the Libera concert shows a glance on the programme I have only noticed today. Don't know if it was there before:
https://www.elycathedral.org/events/libera

It announces:

"Saint-Saens Bacchanale from Samson and Dalila
Beethoven 9th Symphony
Vivaldi Nisi Dominus
Schubert Ave Maria

Plus songs from their latest album, IF.
"

Saint-Saëns's Bacchanale! :o

Let me guess: Joyful, Joyful,
Cum Dederit ( will Dominik still be able to sing it) ?
A piece from the next new album which will be announced as usual during the spring concert?
The heaven soars with voices above...
LordG

Post by LordG »

I wonder if they will sing Beethoven's "Ode an die Freude" in the original German 🤔.

At least Peter had some problems with his speech in German in Vallenda back in 2016.
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Hi everyone,

I'm getting more and more optimistic that the Ely Concert can indeed take place in front of an audience and that it will be way easier for fans from outside the UK to attend :D I thought it might be helpful to share some experiences or plans regarding travel, stay and attractions especially with locals or those, who were lucky enough to join the 2017 and/or 2018 Ely concert.

For my part, I just have made a reservation for an accommodation at Ely for the night of the concert (hell, those prices...). I still have to do some more research about which airport to aim for, how to get to the venue best, how long to stay there, whatelse to visit / wherelese to stay for a long weekend (Cambridge? London?) etc. etc. ... :?
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

From where will you fly from ?

Should you have choice among the 5 London airports, then the most convenient would be Stansted Airport, located at North of London.
It has a direct rail connection between the airport and Ely station, no change of train needed. The journey is about 50 mn long for a fare of £17 approx.

To give you a comparison, Should you land at Heathrow, reaching Ely by train would require 2 train changes, about 2h30 time and about a £55 fare.

Think UK hotels are expensive? Wait until you see the train prices :wink:

The site to use to enquire about trains journeys is: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Thanks Patrick!

I wasn't aware that Ely is so well-connected to rail traffic. Travelling from Germany (or an adjoining country) would make it quite reasonable to aim for Stansted, I guess, so I will keep that in mind for my further plannings.
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:53 pm">2 years ago</span> Think UK hotels are expensive? Wait until you see the train prices :wink:
Oh no! I'm paying more that 130 € just to have my own bathroom :mrgreen: But of course accommodations are limited in Ely and it's worth it for me to spend the night literally next to the venue :D

Would you recommend to spend the second day in Cambridge? I have not been to London before as well, but for sure there will be more chances to get there in the near future :wink:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I highly recommend Cambridge. Aside from the opportunity to hear choral evensong at places like King's College, there are many old and scenic buildings to see if you like that sort of thing. Museums and a botanical garden as well. It all depends on what you like. Seeing as you like music, there are many options available in the UK for top notch choral services....unlike for me in the US :cry:
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:42 am">2 years ago</span> It all depends on what you like.
Oh yes, I like it all very much! I think the Ely concert is a great opportunity to visit Cambridge as well, thanks for your opinion :D
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Last time a bunch of us visited Cambridge the day after the concert, it was really nice. We attended an envensong at Kings College, it was musically good, though some of the most recent pieces did not please everyone :lol: Also the Chapel is just phenomenal. We visited it before the evensong, and honestly I recommend it. Just wandering in Cambridge does the trick, it's worth it.

I am not planning to stay long, I have booked tickets to go straight back to London and then Paris, but I might change it if I get the opportunity... I do not know yet if I will be working at all, I might not even be able to make it to Ely. But if I do not work I might as well enjoy a little trip... depends on the covid situation as well. How I wish for a peacefull and restful trip...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:02 pm">2 years ago</span> Thanks Patrick!

Would you recommend to spend the second day in Cambridge? I have not been to London before as well, but for sure there will be more chances to get there in the near future :wink:
Where have you booked for Saturday? I'm at The Lamb pub, very close to the Cathedral. Last time I stayed there I wasn't hugely impressed by my room but other people said theirs was good 🤔

I've booked the Sunday night following the concert in a Premier Inn in Cambridge so that I can attend Evensong at King's & St John's.

Premier Inn is a decent budget brand (all with own bathroom 😉) and Sunday night should be cheap (especially if you go for the non-cancellation rate)
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:05 pm">2 years ago</span> Last time a bunch of us visited Cambridge the day after the concert, it was really nice. We attended an envensong at Kings College, it was musically good, though some of the most recent pieces did not please everyone :lol: Also the Chapel is just phenomenal. We visited it before the evensong, and honestly I recommend it.
This sounds quite nice! Seems like the Boys & Men Evensong at King's College takes place every Sunday at 15:30. Hopefully, this fits into the schedule! :D

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:45 am">2 years ago</span> Where have you booked for Saturday?
I have a reservation for Ely Guest House, so it appears we are neighbours for a night :D Honestly, I don't expect too much from the accommodation, but as long as it is clean I would be happy with it. The location is just perfect!

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:45 am">2 years ago</span> I've booked the Sunday night following the concert in a Premier Inn in Cambridge so that I can attend Evensong at King's & St John's.
This is a very good hint, Central Cambridge is within a walking distance and the rates seem to be quite fair. :P
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:44 pm">2 years ago</span> I thought it might be helpful to share some experiences or plans regarding travel, stay and attractions especially with locals or those, who were lucky enough to join the 2017 and/or 2018 Ely concert.

For my part, I just have made a reservation for an accommodation at Ely for the night of the concert (hell, those prices...). I still have to do some more research about which airport to aim for, how to get to the venue best, how long to stay there, whatelse to visit / wherelese to stay for a long weekend (Cambridge? London?) etc. etc. ... :?
I share the opinions of all repliers: Do plan to visit this jewel Cambridge (all the more, if you don't have much time, then postpone more London to Libera's December concerts in London). Cambridge is such a lovely town, just beautiful, plenty of evensong options, the college atmosphere, while you just wander around, plus there's so much to see! I spent three days there before the Ely concert in 2017 and one day in 2018 and the memories still fill me with joy.

Very special for a Libera fan is climbing up the tower of Great St. Mary's on a clear day and see ... yes, in fact, you see Ely Cathedral from there! :o :D

Of course visiting evensong is a must for a Libera fan; don't dare to show yourself here again without having attended at least one of them, if visiting Cambridge. :lol: Here is a schedule (also including London and Oxford, the latter of which is hopefully waiting for me this year, too).

https://www.choralevensong.org/uk/service-timetable.php

A niche hint would be the Polar Museum, which I really enjoyed.

All in all, Cambridge is one of the nicest places I have ever been to. There's just always this musical atmosphere swaying in it. It felt really good to be there and I would return there on every opportunity I have.

However, plan enough time for visiting Ely Cathedral, too, which is magnificent and super-beautiful! You can climb up both towers with separate tours and you should definitely not miss to do at least one! Also its surroundings are wonderful. This Cathedral is just one big photo motif.

An anecdote at last: Once I was searching for a certain college's chapel in Cambridge and I didn't find the way, so I asked a few students where the college's cathedral was. They looked at me very strangely and said, in a serious tone: "We don't have a cathedral. We have a chapel." :oops: :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Excellent advice!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm">2 years ago</span> An anecdote at last: Once I was searching for a certain college's chapel in Cambridge and I didn't find the way, so I asked a few students where the college's cathedral was. They looked at me very strangely and said, in a serious tone: "We don't have a cathedral. We have a chapel." :oops: :lol:
Oh noooooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
theriverflowson
Silver Member

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm">2 years ago</span> All in all, Cambridge is one of the nicest places I have ever been to. There's just always this musical atmosphere swaying in it. It felt really good to be there and I would return there on every opportunity I have.
Thank you, too, for you input, filiarheni. This makes the decision to focus on Cambridge quite an easy one, and as you said, there will be better opportunities to visit London if you have limited time, for example in December, hopefully!

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:52 pm">2 years ago</span> Of course visiting evensong is a must for a Libera fan; don't dare to show yourself here again without having attended at least one of them, if visiting Cambridge. :lol:
Of course not, I wouldn't dare!! :lol: :lol: