GlennJalmas

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by GlennJalmas »

A recent Tweet from Libera Official🙂.

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yes, the booking page is back online thankfuly. Someone at the box office has fixed it.

Edit: adding this article that went published in the local magazine 'Elyi'. Just the standard writting from some press realese fine, no new info here.
Screenshot_20220723-105734_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220723-105734_Samsung Internet.jpg (686.57 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Screenshot_20220723-105734_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220723-105734_Samsung Internet.jpg (686.57 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

Edit 2:
An article published in the 'Spotted In Ely' magazine.
https://www.spottedinely.com/internatio ... t-of-2022/
Celt

Post by Celt »

Given how long the nave is in Ely I really do feel like the seats in the last 12 rows should be priced lower to try and entice locals or casuals in...
ely-cathedral-nave-by-nick-bow.jpg
ely-cathedral-nave-by-nick-bow.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
ely-cathedral-nave-by-nick-bow.jpg
ely-cathedral-nave-by-nick-bow.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
Like maybe £15 for rows OO and back?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I wonder if there's any chance they'll have an M&G afterward.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat May 21, 2022 11:13 am">1 year ago</span> I wonder if there's any chance they'll have an M&G afterward.
In the UK? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had no idea you were a comedian Luckdragon. When did you start doing stand-up?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

No chance.
Among the multiple reasons, there is a 2 hours 30 mn drive way back to South London after the concert. You can not ad a signature session duration to that.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat May 21, 2022 11:23 am">1 year ago</span> No chance.
Among the multiple reasons, there is a 2 hours 30 mn drive way back to South London after the concert. You can not ad a signature session duration to that.
Oh. Well, maybe they'll let people buy some merch as a consolation. :P
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat May 21, 2022 11:31 am">1 year ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat May 21, 2022 11:23 am">1 year ago</span> No chance.
Oh. Well, maybe they'll let people buy some merch as a consolation. :P
There's always merch 8) :P
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

And so it begins...

Very small stage for such a large venue...

Bittersweet to see Dominic in the back row...

The December miniboys appear to be official now...

Freddie got a haircut. Looking sharp...

Joseph grew a mustache... :wink:

Don't see Lewis...
Last edited by Luckdragon on Sun May 22, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Wonderful concert. Superb solos. Meeting old friends who I haven't seen since pre-pandemic.

#happy
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I've been listening to the 533 song-and-video playlist (shuffled) on YouTube Music in their honor.

Not that I really needed the excuse.

(This link only shows the first 200. Click the Libera / Angel Voices link at the top of the list to get them all).
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Some notes on some songs.
This is Google translated from French. Blame Google if case of non-sens 😁

Vespera
They entered the stage from both sides, in silence, in the dark. Once everyone on stage, absolutely perfectly simultaneous start of everyone, impressive.
Luca on the solo verses and Nathan on the high notes, very successful.

Sing for ever
There were many highlights yesterday and Sing For Ever was one of them. 5 boys organized in a square with in front Joseph H at the front left corner, Nathan on the right, Freddie behind Joseph and Victor behind Nathan. Luke in the center.
The speech just before tells us that Joseph is 9 years old and Nathan 11.
The song started in the most sweetest way with Joseph then Nathan alternating lines, while Luca accompanied with harmonies.
It was splendid, fresh and poetic. Despite his young age, Joseph's voice is assured and very rich in emotions, a real pleasure to hear. This gives hope for many fantastic performances to come from him. Nathan is also very good, he also perfectly suited to the song. Luca's harmonies make the link between the two soloists and the whole is really very successful. I hope libera will take this song into consideration when choosing one to make a video of.

Lux Aeterna
Back on stage after the intermission organized to create a surprise for the public. In the silence left by the public, the boys were divided into two groups which go far back in the side aisles of the cathedral. They walk slowly towards the stage while singing verses in Latin. It was the introduction of the song, the music of which begins when they are on stage.

Ave Maria
Funny little moment in the introductory speech of Ave Maria, it is mentioned that Tadhg had made a fantastic version of Ave Maria 2 years earlier, but now some notes are too high for him (Tadhg is now among the 'Bigs ').
As it should have been, it is Robert Prizeman's version that was performed, as in December at the concert at St John Smith Square. Difference however, in St John SS the soloist was Lewis, accompanied by Daniel W and Luca. Last night Lewis was absent (although credited in the program), and was Daniel and Luca who carried the whole song. They sang in a simultaneous duet throughout and it was very successful, it really seemed like there was a single voice.

Sacris Solemnis
Very pleasant, Freddie conveyed emotions in his voice. And the high notes of Luca (I believe) throughout the song give it its relief. The last 'Gaudia' was for Freddie.

come my way
The new song of the evening, with Daniel as a soloist. It will be necessary to hear it again to better memorize it, this is a bit recent. For that we will have to wait for the release of the next album (nothing has been announced about this release). I thought to myself that the chorus is easier to remember than the verses, because it has more rhythm.

Sing For Our World
When this song came out on her CD I wasn't particularly thrilled. But seeing her on stage in addition to listening to her is a whole different experience. It really is a song that the boys are visibly happy and joyful to perform. Along with the fast tempo, there are ensemble moves from the boys that further up the tempo and energize the song. I'm not surprised that some of them said in an interview that it was their favorite song.

A very good concert, where covers of songs that hadn't been sung for years are as welcome as new ones.
I'm looking forward to the next concert, wherever it is, to rediscover this very special atmosphere of a Libera concert, and to see how the new soloists will evolve.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

The Ely concert programme is now available for purchase online🙂.

https://libera.org.uk/gb/