Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by Luckdragon »

Some programme photos that were posted to FB...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Just wondering if "Come My Way" might be an adaptation of "Come, My Way" by Blackfriar?

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 6:10 am">1 year ago</span> Just wondering if "Come My Way" might be an adaptation of "Come, My Way" by Blackfriar?
Related, Robert used some of the same words, but it was changed. We were told Robert had started work on the song but wasn't able to finish it and that Sam completed the arrangement.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 7:11 am">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 6:10 am">1 year ago</span> Just wondering if "Come My Way" might be an adaptation of "Come, My Way" by Blackfriar?
Related, Robert used some of the same words, but it was changed. We were told Robert had started work on the song but wasn't able to finish it and that Sam completed the arrangement.
Interesting. Perhaps it was an independent arrangement directly from the source, "the beautiful 17th century hymn, "The Call", composed by George Herbert and later made famous by Ralph Vaughan Williams."
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 6:10 am">1 year ago</span>
Interesting. Perhaps it was an independent arrangement directly from the source, "the beautiful 17th century hymn, "The Call", composed by George Herbert and later made famous by Ralph Vaughan Williams."
Yes, words were credited to George Herbert & RP, arrangment by Sam.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celt

Post by Celt »

I was absolutely delighted with Come My Way, having just heard RVW's The Call in Canterbury Cathedral it was amazing to hear the words again in this arrangement and sung so wonderfully by Daniel W. I was also delighted that, as I had hoped, Daniel C. got a bigger solo, just before his birthday too! Joseph H. in Sing for Ever was brilliant, I share the hope of hearing much more from him in the future. There's more to say but I have to sit down and go through it and I may try and write a proper review of the concert this time. In the meantime I eagerly await the extensive reviews by the usual suspects. (looking at you filiarheni 8) )

The concert really did live up to the hype. For me, it was the best of the three Ely concerts I have been to, much better sound balance than previously (granted I was closer to the centre this time) and a fantastic non-xmas setlist, with a nice selection of soloists. I caught myself grinning like Cheshire cat on several occasions. :oops:
► Show Spoiler
Plus I would re-iterate how great it was to see so many familiar faces attending a Libera concert again. A Libera concert just doesn't feel the same without all you foreigners in attendance. :P
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

[Removed - LD]
Last edited by Luckdragon on Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celt

Post by Celt »

On the subject of arrangement of the musicians... compare the three concerts:

2017:
► Show Spoiler
2018:
► Show Spoiler
2022:
► Show Spoiler
In both 2017 and 2018 the musicians were in two clumps at the side, and for some reason in 2018 the whole set-up was a lot further forward. Last night the stage was back roughly where it was in 2017, but in addition some of the musicians were arrayed across the front of the stage. It didn't impact the visuals at all and for me made for a much better balance. Albeit my absolute favourite set-up is the one in SJSS with the musicians high at the back.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 11:06 am">1 year ago</span> In both 2017 and 2018 the musicians were in two clumps at the side, and for some reason in 2018 the whole set-up was a lot further forward. Last night the stage was back roughly where it was in 2017, but in addition some of the musicians were arrayed across the front of the stage. It didn't impact the visuals at all and for me made for a much better balance. Albeit my absolute favourite set-up is the one in SJSS with the musicians high at the back.
I think the concern about having the musicians across the front would have been that the light glaring off the music stands might prevent the choristers from seeing the conductor. It didn't seem to be a problem, though.

2022: "I Am the Day"
2022-05-22_03-18-10.jpg
2022-05-22_03-18-10.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
2022-05-22_03-18-10.jpg
2022-05-22_03-18-10.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Celt

Post by Celt »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 11:25 am">1 year ago</span> I think the concern about having the musicians across the front would have been that the light glaring off the music stands might prevent the choristers from seeing the conductor. It didn't seem to be a problem, though.
It's OK, Daniel W. could always take over. :lol:
Acrobat1968

Post by Acrobat1968 »

My humble first thoughts on last nights concert:

It was simply wonderful to have a full scale Libera performance after all this time. Perfect set list featuring everything that makes Libera unique. Rob present in the building through many of his greatest compositions and arrangements. Luca, Daniel and Victor great leading soloists, giving structure and guidance to a big group of younger and miniboys. Luca, as always, shouldering many of the important parts for the group, and particularly Daniel at his very best, a wonderful, mature treble. Another young Daniel C. following in his footsteps. I guess we are in for some real treats from him in the coming years. His solo in Angele Dei and supported by Freddy in Libera just sublime. Nathan and Joseph delivered a very delicate version of Robert's Sing forever. Both very nervous at the rehearsal in the afternoon, which we were allowed to attend, but confident and with great personality in the evening. Morgan took over parts that would probably have been sung by OWR in recent years. And he is absolutely up to the task at hand, a soft voice and relaxed presence on stage. Freddy performed his Sacris Solemnis in a slightly different version to the one on If, showing his growing confidence and expertise. His younger brother Thomas had his first centre stage moment with Luke in Stay with me. And, last but not least, that range of wonderful songs and hymns without solos: Let me make songs, Orinoco and sing for the World as encore. The first full scale concert without Rob was proof that the Libera project is in good hands and will keep on thriving. A wonderful evening altogether, including new friendships made with other Libera fans from around the world.
Acrobat1968

Post by Acrobat1968 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 am">1 year ago</span> Some notes on some songs.

Sing for ever
There were many highlights yesterday and Sing For Ever was one of them. 5 boys organized in a square with in front Joseph H at the front left corner, Nathan on the right, Freddie behind Joseph and Victor behind Nathan. Luke in the center.
The speech just before tells us that Joseph is 9 years old and Nathan 11.
The song started in the most sweetest way with Joseph then Nathan alternating lines, while Luca accompanied with harmonies.
It was splendid, fresh and poetic. Despite his young age, Joseph's voice is assured and very rich in emotions, a real pleasure to hear. This gives hope for many fantastic performances to come from him. Nathan is also very good, he also perfectly suited to the song. Luca's harmonies make the link between the two soloists and the whole is really very successful. I hope libera will take this song into consideration when choosing one to make a video of.
I, too, was really looking forward to a solo from Joseph and could not believe my luck when I found out it was going to be Sing forever. The Sam Harper/James Bantock version from way back counts among my favourite songs as those 2 had such a powerful way to deliver it in duett. The same basic set up with Joseph and Nathan last night. But so different in their style. Obviously both boys yesterday much younger singers, their voices frecher, more delicate. Not as powerful, but full of emotion and their own personality, promising of things to come. Just great to see that new voices performing a song very differently come up with a version as convincing and sublime as the past one. What a treat!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Acrobat1968 wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 12:44 pm">1 year ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 am">1 year ago</span> Some notes on some songs.

Sing for ever
There were many highlights yesterday and Sing For Ever was one of them. 5 boys organized in a square with in front Joseph H at the front left corner, Nathan on the right, Freddie behind Joseph and Victor behind Nathan. Luke in the center.
The speech just before tells us that Joseph is 9 years old and Nathan 11.
The song started in the most sweetest way with Joseph then Nathan alternating lines, while Luca accompanied with harmonies.
It was splendid, fresh and poetic. Despite his young age, Joseph's voice is assured and very rich in emotions, a real pleasure to hear. This gives hope for many fantastic performances to come from him. Nathan is also very good, he also perfectly suited to the song. Luca's harmonies make the link between the two soloists and the whole is really very successful. I hope libera will take this song into consideration when choosing one to make a video of.
I, too, was really looking forward to a solo from Joseph and could not believe my luck when I found out it was going to be Sing forever. The Sam Harper/James Bantock version from way back counts among my favourite songs as those 2 had such a powerful way to deliver it in duett. The same basic set up with Joseph and Nathan last night. But so different in their style. Obviously both boys yesterday much younger singers, their voices frecher, more delicate. Not as powerful, but full of emotion and their own personality, promising of things to come. Just great to see that new voices performing a song very differently come up with a version as convincing and sublime as the past one. What a treat!
I would have loved to have witnessed that. It sounds like the next few years are going to be something special with all the young talent that's beginning to emerge.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but bears repeating here, that Joseph comes from a great musical family. His mother sings with The Sixteen and his grandfather is a respected choral and orchestral conductor. At the age of 9, Joseph is already a confident speaker and singer. One can only wonder what he might accomplish at 10, 11 and 12!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Enjoy.
► Show Spoiler
Celt

Post by Celt »

Did I miss anyone?
► Show Spoiler