Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Acrobat1968

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by Acrobat1968 »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 1:29 pm">1 year ago</span>
Acrobat1968 wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 12:44 pm">1 year ago</span>
fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 3:10 am">1 year ago</span> Some notes on some songs.

I would have loved to have witnessed that. It sounds like the next few years are going to be something special with all the young talent that's beginning to emerge.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but bears repeating here, that Joseph comes from a great musical family. His mother sings with The Sixteen and his grandfather is a respected choral and orchestral conductor. At the age of 9, Joseph is already a confident speaker and singer. One can only wonder what he might accomplish at 10, 11 and 12!
Not to forget about small Daniel C. As it is now, I would actually see him slightly ahead of Joseph in the development of his voice. He is slightly older, I think. His solo and high notes were gorgeous. He will be the next Libera-Daniel 😆
Acrobat1968

Post by Acrobat1968 »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 1:41 pm">1 year ago</span> Did I miss anyone?

Can' see Jack in your pics
Attachments
20220521_210154.jpg
20220521_210154.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
20220521_210154.jpg
20220521_210154.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 1:41 pm">1 year ago</span> Did I miss anyone?
Did we get any more clues in matching names to faces of the former miniboys?

Do we know which one Leon Clarke is yet?

So far, even the fabulous Furby has been foiled.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Acrobat1968 wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 1:53 pm">1 year ago</span> Can' see Jack in your pics
hmmm

Who is that next to Koji in my third photo?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you to all for all the photos and highlights thus far! :D More more! :lol:

Sounds like it was a concert not to be missed...oops :cry: :? Oh well, money, covid, work schedules, and the unclear rules regarding international travel restrictions (both in UK and US) at the time I was to make a decision, conspired to have made the trip this year untenable. But such is life!

But it makes me so happy to hear that the concert was a success for those who attended. :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

A comeback of hope

Warning: it’s a looong read 😁
Main takeaways:

* Ave Maria, Far Away and If moved me the most
* Lots of nice surprises, new songs, new soloists
* Daniel briefly conducted the boys on stage
* Moose is Libera’s unofficial executive producer

Believe it or not, but as I waved goodbye to the boys while they left the stage of St. John’s Smiths Square in 2019, I had a hunch that it might be a really long time before we could see them again. Who could have foreseen all that would happen. A pandemic, and then the sad loss of Robert, and a world in turmoil.
And yet - here they were. After Christmas 2021 in London, now back in a cathedral setting. And they sounded as strong as always, with many promises for the future. The theme of the concert (to me) seemed to be hope - and an everlasting presence of loved ones and times past. A comforting note throughout the different songs, from way old to brand new.

The concert began ever so quietly, almost subdued, with the ancient chant for evening prayer: “Te lucis ante terminum”, “Before the ending of the day”. The opening words for Vespera. Quiet, but resounding strongly in our times, where we feel the light almost disappearing from view. And so we pray, and we sing. “Keep me as an apple of thine eye” - a plea to God to keep us in his presence.
Already at this point I had goosebumps (just like I had had when I had seen the boys, already in their robes, entering the cathedral for the rehearsal - that familiar sight of the white robes never fails to make my heart jump a little with excitement).
Luca sang the first of several solos of the night with confidence and precision. He brought the crystal clear quality from the recording to life on stage.
I do also remember the back row in this one, they had a number of songs where their voices really stood out and this was definitely one of them.

Sanctus next, which sounded different. Was it the instruments? I heard some parts in the horn, clarinet and flute that I did not remember. Or maybe it was the way the voices seemed to carry eachother in broad strides. Sanctus almost had a solemn quality to it, instead of the usual colourful sound - which I love, but I also enjoyed tonight’s procession-like version.

Let me Make Songs was on my tiny wish list for this evening and my wish was granted :) I had wished for this because it is such a rousing song, written to inspire people to stand up against injustice and conflict. We need this kind of energy again so much in the world.
If I recall correctly, the boys all stood in a line from left to right across the stage, in a number of rows. I could name maybe two of the boys in the first row - so a majority of relatively new faces was given the spotlight.

From a rousing song to a deeply moving one. Even though the announcement for Once an Angel was the same as in December, it caught me kind of by surprise as it made me choke up a little bit. There were just so many layers of meaning to this song. Losing Robert, and yet hearing his signature in the music, watching Victor and Daniel sing, and thinking of both their Libera careers, as well as all that has happened between Robert’s final concert and the choir’s return to Ely… What added to the emotions was the realisation that Daniel stood just to the left of Victor, as a supporting guardian angel - and the left side of the body is also the part which is associated with the heart. It could not have been staged better, I think, and I was struck by the sincerity with which Victor sang.

His ‘supporting choir angel’ Daniel next took centre stage for If - and I was floored by his voice. It has audibly matured and this made the emotion of the song come out more clearly than before - and I already felt it the first time he sang it, back in 2020. Tonight, I felt like I was listening to someone pleading for their wishes to come true. It had the depth of someone who understands sadness, who faces it, and yet still pleads for hope. This was a magnificent version.
I should also mention the lighting. The group was bathed in white and blue swirling shapes, which I only saw in the corner of my eye as I was so focused on Daniel. But they did add to the overall effect of this feeling of longing and pleading for wishes to come true.

From relatively new to pure classic, with Salva Me. The high Salva’s were sung perfectly by Daniel C.
In fact, all the high notes were flawless this night.
Great to hear this classic song again, with its dramatic build-up. Salva was one of the songs where I really enjoyed Jon’s percussion playing.
One other thing I enjoyed in particular was watching Joseph during the chorus, as the boys lifted their arms and then slowly brought them back down again. He looked intently at his hands as if he imagined a kind of magical object or power they were holding. It really caught my attention and I loved how deeply he directed his attention to the song, even the theatrical parts of it. Likely he has a lively imagination and a creative mind.

More of him we could already enjoy in the next song, Sing Forever, announced by Morgan and Hal who did an excellent job with their speeches. Really well done, guys!
Joseph and Nathan were the soloists for this oldie which recently made a revival as a charity single from several choirs during lockdown, including choristers from Ely.
Joseph’s voice made me think of a wide blue sky. Nathan’s voice contrasted beautifully with a subtle shine to it, gentle and steady. It was stirring to hear these young men sing about singing ☺️

Tonight’s concert had quite a lot of surprises, and Always with You was one of them. It’s a song that became dear to my heart through the live performances I heard: Epsom in 2011, solo by Freddie Ingles and again in 2019, solo by Oliver Mycka.
Tonight the honour went to Morgan, who has a very solid and promising voice. The way he sings is full of calm and confidence, fitting the reassuring message of the song. The staging worked really well, too. Morgan stood on his own, centre stage, with the other boys further behind (in a semi-circle, if I remember correctly). Then, at the final part, they all came forward and joined together behind Morgan in one group, as if to say: We got you, we’re always with you! A moving moment.
I wonder if the song was chosen as a subtle reference to Robert, who, as Daniel mentioned when he announced Once an Angel, “is still very much with us in the music”.

This theme of staying by one’s side continued with Stay With Me. For me, this had become Oliver M’s song, but rather than feel sad because we will no longer hear him sing it, I was happy the song continues into the future, with a new soloist. Well, make that two soloists: Thomas M and Luke! They both gave off a sense of supporting eachother, standing side by side at an angle. A relative newbie and a more experienced chorister. Thomas’ voice has a silvery shine to it, and Luke’s voice was very, very tender and friendly.

We stayed on the Free album with the next song, When a Knight, sung beautifully by Luca, whose colourful voice is perfect for it. It’s a pretty short song and the arrangement makes use of a wonderful build-up, to turn it into a mini-epic. From solo to grand and back to solo. Just lovely.

Libera closed off the first half before the interval. It was announced by Daniel and Nathan. In the introduction, they talked about their robes and how the monks would have worn them. One thing they would NOT have done is sing in seven different parts. What they meant by that? “Allow us to demonstrate”. And Daniel turned to face the choir and started conducting. Each voice part joined in, a capella. The sight of Daniel taking over as conductor moved me deeply. He has grown so much over the years and also directs the younger boys on stage to help them get to their right position and so on. From a budding soloist in 2018 to a natural leader in 2022. Exceptional.
Ofcourse, with such a warm-up the song was sung splendidly, with Luca providing the powerful final high note.

One more thing before I get to the second half: Moose was introduced as Libera’s unofficial executive producer 😊 “Although he doesn’t talk much, he always likes to be on stage with us to make sure everything goes right.” Thank you, Moose!

INTERVAL

While the first half started with a prayer as the light of the day was ending, Lux Aeterna startwd off the second half with words from the Requiem Mass, about the eternal light of God. Words written for those who have left the light of this earthly life behind. “In the midst of life, we are in death”, the Book of Common Prayer says. In the midst of this Libera concert, eternal light shone for the deceased and as hope for the living.
The boys filed in procession on both sides of the cathedral as they sang the words a capella. “May the angels receive you in Paradise”. I once again got goosebumps as they slowly filled the stage. The constant repeating of “lux aeterna” made the cathedral fill up with both outer and inner light. Somehow I kept noticing Daniel singing intently during this song. It’s a sparse arrangement at times, leaving plenty of moments for the back row to lead with the chant in their strong deep voices. Wonderful to hear! The finale, again a capella, was so moving. The final word Jerusalem, the eternal home, in the faded lights, left us in a brief silence, before the applause erupted.

Off to carefree shores, on board to Orinoco! A welcome fresh song to contrast the solemnity after the interval. The quick turns in the choreography always make me smile and the singing was smooth and lively.

Time for another speech, and this one gave me a glimmer of hope that we might hear Schubert’s Ave Maria. One of the boys (my memory fails me to name him, I’m so sorry!) mentioned Tadhg’s recording of it for the online concert, but alas, immediately this remark was followed by the inevitable truth that by now, Tadhg is no longer able to reach some of the higher notes. Indeed, he is now one of ‘the Bigs’, as the back row was called. Tadhg nodded with a knowing smile when this remark was made.

However, there still was an Ave Maria to come, and it was Robert’s version.
Luca and Daniel sang the solo together. For me, the blend of their voices could best be described as the way fingers interlock when folded for prayer. And a prayer it was.
Somewhere halfway I felt something happen - to me, perhaps, or maybe to the soloists, or maybe everyone on stage. I noticed Luca’s face change, his expression brightened and I could somehow empathise with him, picturing what he pictured from stage and singing this beautiful prayer which sounded just perfect and glorious and really gliding it home. I felt almost bursting with joy. The voices, the instruments (the horn especially), the cathedral, the singers’ faces and the overall fantastic sound created a moment that for me felt totally heavenly and transporting me to a realm of joy and perfect love.

Needless to say this mood lingered on when Luca started off the next song: Far Away. A beloved classic which I had not heard since 2012.
The words, sung by Luca in a clear and flowing manner, carried along by the other voices, brought tears to my eyes. I felt so grateful for being there. There have been moments in the past theee years since I last saw them where I felt completely down and struggling mentally. Knowing I pulled through to now be at this concert, experiencing this with all the people on stage and off stage, was truly comforting.

The following song, Angele Dei came as an extra nice surprise, because I had been thinking of it the night before. I remembered when I first heard it in Ely, and how it fit perfectly in the cathedral architecture, with its airy parts like stained glass windows and its building harmonies like Gothic pillars. So I had wished to hear it again there, though I never expected my wish to be granted so quickly! Daniel C sang it with conviction, reaching the high notes with ease and precision. He is a promising singer, following in the footsteps of Rocco and Dominik with this one. And yes, the cathedral once again provided the ideal surroundigs for this prayer to an angel.

One granted wish was followed by yet another, as it had been my wish to hear more from Freddie as a soloist, after his small solo in December. And there he was for Sacris solemnis. I thought his voice had grown and sounded very inviting and generous, as if he welcomed us to the dance :)
Luca once again shone brilliantly on the long high notes. Distinguishable enough to single out, while still blending with the voices beneath those soaring wings.

Anticipation now mounted for Come My Way, a new song which Robert left behind and Sam finished arranging. It was sung by Daniel at first and quickly grew into a layered gem of harmonies. The melody is friendly, peaceful and warm.
It was touching to try and hear in the notes what Robert might have heard, and to seek out his signature in the harmonies. This way, he even now continues to bring us joy with new music.

Grateful Heart was almost as new, and probably unfamiliar to most of the audience. I wonder what the origin of this song is. It’s rarely sung live, never recorded (as far as I know), but somehow remained on the Libera radar. Luca sang it gently and full of assurance, with Daniel supporting him in a completely natural manner.
The lyrics are all about gratitude. The singer reflects on all the gifts love has given and asks to be aware of this by being granted a grateful heart.
There is a lot we often take for granted, and it is a great virtue and a quality that builds trust if we know how to be grateful. I felt grateful for sure, seeing Libera live again, after so much has happened and so much still going on.

So, we started the concert off at dusk, reflected on mortality and the heavenly light in the middle - so how would the concert end? With a promise of hope. “I am the night that will be dawn, I am the new hope in the morning”. At the closing of the concert, in the nighttime, the last song was I Am the Day. A journey from dark to light.
Morgan led the choir on steadily, the whispers were wonderfully dramatic and Daniel surprised me with his soaring high notes (was it really him? Yes, it was!). In the quiet parts, the stage lights were in a deep red hue and the boys hung their heads low. I looked directly at the silhouettes of Tadhg, Dom and Oliver WR. A beautiful, solemn sight. The song, and the set list, ended in a soaring chord bathed in light.

Was this truly the ending? Almost. Ofcourse, we were treated to an encore, and what better song to send us off than Sing for the World. They always know how to get me moving and dancing at the very last song, maybe the outpouring of joy is deliberate, to soothe the bittersweet feeling of saying goodbye again for perhaps again a long time.
However long it may be, we were sent on our way with lots of precious moments and a real hope for the future.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Great to read all the reviews and see some piccies of the night. :D

At one point, I was hoping to attend but various factors combined to ruling it out for me this time around. Was lucky enough to catch the St. John's Christmas concert and hope to get back this year for a full show hopefully.

So glad it went so well for all in attendance :)
"You are not alone"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 3:48 pm">1 year ago</span> A comeback of hope

Warning: it’s a looong read 😁
It was well worth it! :D

Thank you for bringing your unique and colorful insights about the music into focus for us. I love all of the details and passion which comes through from your writing. The best reviews are the ones where I can feel as though I'm present at a concert I clearly didn't attend and am watching it through the eyes of the author. Definitely that was the case with your review!
Acrobat1968

Post by Acrobat1968 »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 2:09 pm">1 year ago</span>
Leon is the boy on the right in picture (6)
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Acrobat1968 wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 11:06 pm">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 2:09 pm">1 year ago</span>
Leon is the boy on the right in picture (6)
That's Cameron. He's a brother from another mother.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Thanks for the reviews, they're almost like being there - but only almost. Maybe when the album comes out I'll read the reviews while listening to it. Did anyone notice if the concert was being video recorded?
Acrobat1968

Post by Acrobat1968 »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 2:13 pm">1 year ago</span>
Acrobat1968 wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 1:53 pm">1 year ago</span> Can' see Jack in your pics
hmmm

Who is that next to Koji in my third photo?
Sorry, did not see this, you are of course right
Celt

Post by Celt »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sun May 22, 2022 3:48 pm">1 year ago</span> A comeback of hope

One more thing before I get to the second half: Moose was introduced as Libera’s unofficial executive producer 😊 “Although he doesn’t talk much, he always likes to be on stage with us to make sure everything goes right.” Thank you, Moose!
Firstly, fantastic review, very detailed!

As for Moose...

At Xmas, Daniel seemed to imply that Moose had been very busy making new Moosen to sell on the merchandise stand, and I wondered what had changed. But of course, Moose rut season is in September and October, so he has plenty of time to be an executive producer until then. :lol:

But the funniest line of the night for me was "Usefully, the song has the same name as us, just in case you'd forgotten who we are, and want to txt all your friends in the interval." :D

His conducting was just brilliant and his singing was wonderful. Have I mentioned I think Daniel W. is amazing?

No? I was sure I had...
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Another thing about Daniel, in particular in If: he stood there so calmly and rock solid. Centered. His body language said: whatever the world will throw at me, I will not flinch. He radiated calm, security - even though the song is so fragile.
Makes me look forward to see how he will develop within the group as Libera enters a new chapter.

Morgan also has this calm about him, which seems to come completely natural from within.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Kilhwch

Post by Kilhwch »

Some scattered and somewhat belated reflections on the Ely concert:

My libera day started a little early; I walked into the cathedral in mid-afternoon, while the soundcheck was going on. They ran through the whole programme, but didn't sing the songs in full – they did about a minute's worth of each before moving on to the next, offering a lovely opportunity to wander around the building and hear the music from all angles. This led to one slightly startling moment during Orinoco Flow, when half the boys suddenly turned sideways and started singing directly to me. I happened to be the only person in the south transept just then, so it was like having my own private Libera concert, albeit only for 20 seconds or so.

On to the concert.

Daniel W has settled into his role as head prefect, making sure everyone else is in the right place and knows which bit is coming up next. You notice things like this more easily in a summer concert, which takes place largely in daylight, so the stage is never completely dark between songs.

It was fitting that Sing for Ever, the oldest of the Prizeman compositions in the programme, was led by two of the newest soloists, Joseph and Nathan. Both should hopefully be Libera stalwarts for a good while to come.

When a Knight was the first Libera song I ever heard, channel-hopping on TV one Sunday afternoon long ago, so it will always be special to me. Sung by Luca with power and conviction.

Orinoco Flow – I sometimes wondered what it was about this charming but not exactly heavyweight little song that so fascinated Robert Prizeman. The other secular pop songs that appeared on the early St Philips/Angel Voices albums (Sailing, Bright Eyes, etc.) were mostly dropped from the repertoire in the Libera era, but they've kept returning to this one over a 30-year period, and here it was again. Sadly I never did get to ask him, but I imagine it was due to the song's structure: the succession of short lines following rapidly on each other make it ideally suited to a multi-part call-and-response arrangement. The fact that it's so different in content from most other Libera songs also means it works well as a light interlude.

Come My Way – based on the lovely George Herbert poem famously set by Vaughan Williams, but I think there was a second poem in there too; there seemed to be some extra lyrics between each verse of the Herbert, but I can't remember them now. We'll have to wait to hear it again. Gentle and flowing.

Sing is a sensory overload that demands to be seen – ideally from close up, so you can see the where all the different parts are coming from – as well as heard. Throw in everything; shouting, a bit of Latin, and if any of the keyboards has a Kitchen Sink button, doubtless that gets pushed at some point. My last memory of the concert is of Victor in the centre spitting out the li-li-li-bertatems like pips.

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the St John's shows in 2020 and 2021. The first was a tiny but dazzling crack of light cut through the dark pall of the pandemic; the second was both the end of a day and a new dawn. Wonderful as they were, both were shortened concerts with setlists necessarily focused on carols and If material; this was a full concert that took us on a journey through Libera history, ending with a glimpse of the future. And for all those who couldn't make it this time, hopefully it won't be long before you too can jump on the ship once again.