Luca Brugnoli

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Celtic

Re: Luca Brugnoli

Post by Celtic »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:03 pm">10 months ago</span>

A little behind the scenes footage provided by Auriens Chelsea.
I knew about that one, it was not far from a concert venue I attended twice in December, a fairly easy hop on the tube for me, but it appeared to be a private function which was a shame.

Heard about his appearance on the R3 Evensong in central London way too late to have any chance at a ticket though, which is also a shame. I've been to many a concert at St Martin in the Fields over the years and would have enjoyed attending that one. The audio for that expires this evening by the way, so you have an hour left if you want to hear him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lyy4

Luca would have won under either the old Young Chorister system, where there was one boy and one girl winner, or under the new system where there is a Junior category for singers aged 10-13 and a Senior category for singers aged 14-17.

I feel as if most people considered him joint winner in all but name? I certainly did! And he got opportunities from that. On that note, does anyone know what happened to the joint Luca/Naomi recordings that were going to happen? Have I missed them?
Kilhwch

Post by Kilhwch »

Luca just put a video of “When You Believe” on YouTube from his concert on 24 June as guest soloist with Dominic Ferris at the Cuckfield Music Festival. I was at this concert, so thought I’d contribute a report (I wrote most of this the day afterwards, but then had a busy week and never got around to finishing it; something I do too often).

The concert was held at Holy Trinity Church, a small but charming building with a large number of doves of peace hanging from the ceiling, in a leafy village looking out across a valley towards the South Downs. A very pleasant spot, although its situation on a south-facing slope made it something of a suntrap on a day of 30°C temperatures.

Luca sang seven songs:
Pie Jesu (Lloyd Webber)
Parla Più Piano (Love Theme from The Godfather)
I Am (new song written by Dominic Ferris and his mother; reminded me a bit of “Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep” in terms of both mood and content.)
When You Believe (duet w/D. Ferris)
Hushabye Mountain
Bring Him Home
Memory

I’ll admit that the musical-theatre songs Luca is clearly most into aren’t my favourite genre, but there’s no disputing his ability; the power and dynamics in his voice were quite remarkable. And, crucially, always appropriate to the song: there was no hint of the “I’m going to put in a big crescendo here with a lot of overblown emoting because that’s what I always do on the last chorus” vibe you get from some modern show-tune singers. And all under absolutely rock-solid control. Sometimes, listening to a young soloist, you’re willing them to get each note right. With Luca, you can just relax; he has it covered.

Luca also did well to keep his waistcoat and tie on throughout without visibly wilting in the heat. That said, he did seem to vanish backstage when he wasn’t singing, and when he was asked back to take his bow at the end he took some time to appear, so it’s possible he’d gone outside to cool off.

I knew of Dominic Ferris as someone whose name has popped up in connection with a number of classical-crossover projects in recent years, as a pianist, an arranger, or both, but I wasn’t that familiar with his own solo work. He puts on a good show; geared, shall we say, towards the older age group, although that reflected the nature of the audience. His set included a medley of songs requested by members of the audience; Luca asked for “Electricity” from Billy Elliot.

Dominic gave two very enthusiastic plugs for Libera and the new album, and talked briefly with Luca about his recent experiences on tour. (At least one other very important Libera figure was in attendance.) Dominic spoke quite well about the importance of choral training as a foundation for a career in any kind of music. They both got a fine reception; Luca was of course on home turf, while Dominic had performed there several times before and seemed to know most of the audience personally.

A couple of photos of the church:

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Oh wow! It's really cool that someone from this forum was in attendance at this mini-concert to give us this sort of detailed insight into the latest goings on with Luca. Thank you very much for that!

It's also good to hear that Libera is being promoted in this way as that can only be a good thing. It seems that many of the boys are involved in musical activities of a high level outside Libera – though none as solo singers as far as I know aside from Luca – and I'm sure that much of their success in those areas is directly attributable to the training and support received in the choir.

Sorry that my reply is short as compared to the long and detailed post that you provided, as there isn't much to say in reply not having been in attendance. But your summary is much appreciated! :D
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm trying to understand why he's deciding to release amateur video footage of songs from live performances, when he has recently recorded them professionally. For starters, the studio recordings will sound much better. In addition, it ruins the element of surprise when the studio recordings are released. He can do what he wants, but I don't think I would do the same if I was in his position.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:18 pm">10 months ago</span> I'm trying to understand why he's deciding to release amateur video footage of songs from live performances, when he has recently recorded them professionally. For starters, the studio recordings will sound much better. In addition, it ruins the element of surprise when the studio recordings are released. He can do what he wants, but I don't think I would do the same if I was in his position.
I think it's because he genuinely enjoys these opportunities and wants to share them with his supporters. If he were a multi-million dollar commercial singing sensation then, yes, his "brand" would have to be far more selective with what they put out. But as it stands now I don't think that's something he and his family should be worried about. If he's having fun and enjoying his musical and dancing activities then good for him.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:56 pm">9 months ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:18 pm">10 months ago</span> I'm trying to understand why he's deciding to release amateur video footage of songs from live performances, when he has recently recorded them professionally. For starters, the studio recordings will sound much better. In addition, it ruins the element of surprise when the studio recordings are released. He can do what he wants, but I don't think I would do the same if I was in his position.
I think it's because he genuinely enjoys these opportunities and wants to share them with his supporters. If he were a multi-million dollar commercial singing sensation then, yes, his "brand" would have to be far more selective with what they put out. But as it stands now I don't think that's something he and his family should be worried about. If he's having fun and enjoying his musical and dancing activities then good for him.
Yeah, from a 'business' perspective I suppose it's not really a problem in his situation. I'm just not a fan of this approach. Personally, I'm going to avoid viewing these videos so I can have some element of surprise when he releases the studio recordings.
Cat-a-tonic

Post by Cat-a-tonic »

Has he made studio recordings of all of them? Including the ones that aren't on Rise Up?

I guess as to why he does it, live performances also bring something different. If he genuinely enjoys performing and presumably he does, then that shines through in a live performance in the way it might not in the same way in a studio recording.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Cat-a-tonic wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:12 pm">9 months ago</span> Has he made studio recordings of all of them? Including the ones that aren't on Rise Up?

I guess as to why he does it, live performances also bring something different. If he genuinely enjoys performing and presumably he does, then that shines through in a live performance in the way it might not in the same way in a studio recording.
He's recorded "Memory", and he's also recorded "Parla Piu Piano". He uploaded a video of himself singing "Memory" at a local festival today, and he'll be uploading "Parla Piu Piano" from his recent concert with Dominic on the 15th. I'm not sure about "When You Believe/I Believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have or are going to record it. It's not a huge deal, but I would rather wait for the studio recordings. For me, part of the enjoyment of hearing newly released music is not knowing what to expect.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

It's all good. He's in his final year as a treble. Let him do whatever tf he wants (musically speaking).

Go to his channel and give him some views, for crying out loud.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:52 pm">9 months ago</span> It's all good. He's in his final year as a treble. Let him do whatever tf he wants (musically speaking).

Go to his channel and give him some views, for crying out loud.
I could always play those videos with the sound off, but that would be absurd. Now, if they do a professional recording of a live performance, I will certainly make an exception for that. Anyways, I think hearing the studio recordings will be much more satisfying if I don't hear cell phone recordings of the same songs beforehand.

I don't know why I keep wasting time on this forum trying to explain myself, so I think I will just vanish from this place. Meanwhile, I'll keep listening to and supporting Libera and Luca. If Libera goes off the rails, I might hop back on to express my opinion.
Kilhwch

Post by Kilhwch »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:24 pm">10 months ago</span> Oh wow! It's really cool that someone from this forum was in attendance at this mini-concert to give us this sort of detailed insight into the latest goings on with Luca. Thank you very much for that!

It's also good to hear that Libera is being promoted in this way as that can only be a good thing. It seems that many of the boys are involved in musical activities of a high level outside Libera – though none as solo singers as far as I know aside from Luca – and I'm sure that much of their success in those areas is directly attributable to the training and support received in the choir.

Sorry that my reply is short as compared to the long and detailed post that you provided, as there isn't much to say in reply not having been in attendance. But your summary is much appreciated! :D
Thanks. I really enjoyed the concert, so I'm glad I braved the M25 to get there.

I think Luca said he'd recorded ten songs with Dominic Ferris, so that still leaves plenty we haven't heard yet.
Cat-a-tonic

Post by Cat-a-tonic »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:43 pm">9 months ago</span>
Cat-a-tonic wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:12 pm">9 months ago</span> Has he made studio recordings of all of them? Including the ones that aren't on Rise Up?

He's recorded "Memory", and he's also recorded "Parla Piu Piano". He uploaded a video of himself singing "Memory" at a local festival today, and he'll be uploading "Parla Piu Piano" from his recent concert with Dominic on the 15th. I'm not sure about "When You Believe/I Believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have or are going to record it. It's not a huge deal, but I would rather wait for the studio recordings. For me, part of the enjoyment of hearing newly released music is not knowing what to expect.
Ah, OK, cool didn't realise he'd recorded Memory and the others. Thanks for the information. :)

I do understand where you're coming from with preferring to wait for the studio recordings as they will inevitably better. Equally I personally do like watching live performances too as you get the singer's facial expressions and body language. As long as they're decent quality recordings and the Memory one I saw wasn't bad. Maybe I should wait for the studio recordings to be released then listen to them while watching the videos on silent! Get the best of both worlds.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

From Luca via Facebook:

"Some have questioned as to why I am posting all my performances on my YT Page. My channel serves as a record of all my work as a soloist, good , bad or indifferent. If I am to move forward and survive in this industry it is important to be able to sing live with an authentic voice and an identity. Studio recordings are great of course but with today's technology they can be pieced together to make perfection. Singing live is not about perfection, it's about having the ability to do it at all!! The combination of performing, proof of skill, and the capacity to reproduce the sounds that are heard on on my recordings, subsequently leads to an authentication of my performance. To be a successful artist that is really important to me- in a live performance you get one chance to get it right and connect with the audience. If I can manage that then I will achieve my future goals."
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

While the clarification for those at LDF who were wondering about such things is good, I certainly hope that remarks made by fans were not the cause of his feeling that he had to justify himself in this manner.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Posted by Luca on YouTube: