Luca Brugnoli

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Luca Brugnoli

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I see that Luca did a piece by Bob Chilcott, and Naomi did a piece by him as well in the semifinal. I've only heard a couple pieces by that composer, but I should better familiarize myself with his music.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:29 pm">1 year ago</span> I see that Luca did a piece by Bob Chilcott, and Naomi did a piece by him as well in the semifinal. I've only heard a couple pieces by that composer, but I should better familiarize myself with his music.
He is a major British composer and I think former King's College Chorister.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

The first piece of his that comes to mind at this time of year is his Shepherd's Carol
► Show Spoiler
His version of 12 Days of Christmas is also fantastic and very funny.

Nova! Nova! is another good one.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Since he's the runner up, he still gets to do a little bit with BBC recording. One of his recent updates mentioned recording for his upcoming solo album over Christmas break. I hope he doesn't have to delay things any longer. You never know when a treble's highest notes might disappear.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Here's the performance, in case you live outside of BBC land.

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:16 pm">1 year ago</span> Looking forward to his album now.
Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Luca has a Christmas single dropping tomorrow: "Christmas is Coming". Really obscure but he loves the song.

Here's where it came from:

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:16 pm">1 year ago</span> Part of me wishes I had sponsored him enough to attend his private recital (which I think was yesterday).
Enjoy...

Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well, I have just listened to the finals of the Young Chorister on BBC. I am not just disappointed Luca did not win (and he deserved to), I am actually mad. I did not like Naomi's song AT ALL, it was my least favourite of all. It has nothing classical, it's full of bad habits in my opinion, very pop, lot of breathing, useless voice's affection (what is that "yeaaaah-yyyyeaaaayaaaay" in a middle of a Christmas song ? uuurgh)... I can't believe they liked that song better than Luca's precise and subtile work and all the others contestants'. I mean, it probably is good in its own style, but... is that what BBC Young Chorister is about ? I am very disappointed with their choices.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Setting aside the debate about the fairness of the competition, the positives are that as runner-up he still gets to record with the BBC. One of my favourite albums is BBC Music V27N8 - Panis Angelicus - Works For The Treble Voice which featured the 2018 joint winners Emilia Jacques and Cassian Pichler-Roca across the tracks, with some solos for them both and other tracks where they both sing, it's a really lovely album and was released as a CD attached to the cover of the BBC Music magazine. I hope that the BBC recording mentioned, might produce something similar with Luca and Naomi?

Fingers crossed and we might be left with an embarrassment of riches next year! Crowdfund album, standalone singles, BBC recording and the new Libera album... :mrgreen:

Surely enough for even the most ardent Luca fan? :)
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/su ... er-3950492
Luca and the overall winner Naomi both received trophies and will record several songs with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra next week which will be released on radio throughout 2023.
Having just listened to the Sussex Radio interview I think it is worth highlighting that Luca as runner-up is going to get a lot of opportunities to showcase his voice as a result, both through the BBC Recording and (live concert?) appearances.

That, at the end of the day, is the most important thing.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:30 pm">1 year ago</span> https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/su ... er-3950492
Luca and the overall winner Naomi both received trophies and will record several songs with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra next week which will be released on radio throughout 2023.
Having just listened to the Sussex Radio interview I think it is worth highlighting that Luca as runner-up is going to get a lot of opportunities to showcase his voice as a result, both through the BBC Recording and (live concert?) appearances.

That, at the end of the day, is the most important thing.
I understand your point of view, but I can't agree with you. The rules are biased and disadvantage the boys.

I have said the same each year since the rules changed so I am not approaching this as as a disgruntled Libera fan. It is ridiculous to expect 11, 12 & 13 year old boys to compete with much more physically & mentally developed young women.

The judges and Aled know this so the shows producers must be aware of it too. Why do they allow it to continue?

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So, moving the conversion on from YCOTY, who has heard Luca's new Christmas song?

Whilst I'm not sure about the song itself, Luca's vocal is excellent. His lower range is sounding very rich with a lovely tone (we know he can do the high notes with ease).

If his album is at the same level (no reason why it won't be) then we could have something very special to treasure.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:15 pm">1 year ago</span> Well, I have just listened to the finals of the Young Chorister on BBC. I am not just disappointed Luca did not win (and he deserved to), I am actually mad. I did not like Naomi's song AT ALL, it was my least favourite of all. It has nothing classical, it's full of bad habits in my opinion, very pop, lot of breathing, useless voice's affection (what is that "yeaaaah-yyyyeaaaayaaaay" in a middle of a Christmas song ? uuurgh)... I can't believe they liked that song better than Luca's precise and subtile work and all the others contestants'. I mean, it probably is good in its own style, but... is that what BBC Young Chorister is about ? I am very disappointed with their choices.
Very gospely and jiggery-pokery wasn't it. Which is fair enough if it was that type of competition and I'm sure there's now enough set aside in the BBC's schedule to cater for such style...but not the purity of Young Chorister of the year, which from what I remember used to focus on the boy treble.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:47 pm">1 year ago</span> So, moving the conversion on from YCOTY, who has heard Luca's new Christmas song?

Whilst I'm not sure about the song itself, Luca's vocal is excellent. His lower range is sounding very rich with a lovely tone (we know he can do the high notes with ease).
Yep...not the kind of Christmas tune I would seek out, but as with Libera...Luca now has that voice which can make anything sound a very good listen. Looking forward to his album.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, guess which piece Luca is practicing in his latest video. I swear I was just thinking about how nice it would be if Luca did this song: