Post by Mercurial909 »

Found a fan tribute to Rob from 9 years ago…💖

Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Re: RIP Robert Prizeman

Post by Amie_Hill »

A Tribute from Angel Voices Singer David Barlow:

Tribute to Rob...

For me, an only boy with 3 sisters, the choir proved to be an important part of my young, impressionable life. It brought me a sense of belonging/brotherhood, some lifelong friendships, fun, discipline and a sense of achievement, all in equal measure.

For that, I can only thank Rob and the older boys who assisted him at the time (Ian Tilley & 'Tony' Maher).
Rob could be seen as much more than a choir master, he was an educator of music.

Strict & disciplined when necessary - we could be easily distracted/unruly at times as per most groups of young children, especially boys. However the structure of our twice weekly practices incorporated elements of fun and sometimes even a spirit of competition. The only routine thing about our weekly practices was the time.

He provided a variety of musical content which tested and engaged us. Our bread and butter - hymns, classical, choral music such as Faure's Requiem or Handel's Messiah. Monk-like chanting in the midst of Abbey ruins all the way to the more contemporary/popular music be it covers or his own compositions.

I can't say I envied his task of 'spicing up' practicing the likes of "Hymn 192" over the years. An in-joke if you will. I'm sure almost every St Philips choirboy could name this without hesitation as "Praise My Soul the King of Heaven" haha.

He brought joy to the lives of those he taught to sing and those who listened to us sing.
He will be sorely missed though he left a great legacy in the current crop of singers and those who now educate them.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:37 pm">2 years ago</span> A Tribute from Angel Voices Singer David Barlow:

Tribute to Rob...

For me, an only boy with 3 sisters, the choir proved to be an important part of my young, impressionable life. It brought me a sense of belonging/brotherhood, some lifelong friendships, fun, discipline and a sense of achievement, all in equal measure.

For that, I can only thank Rob and the older boys who assisted him at the time (Ian Tilley & 'Tony' Maher).
Rob could be seen as much more than a choir master, he was an educator of music.

Strict & disciplined when necessary - we could be easily distracted/unruly at times as per most groups of young children, especially boys. However the structure of our twice weekly practices incorporated elements of fun and sometimes even a spirit of competition. The only routine thing about our weekly practices was the time.

He provided a variety of musical content which tested and engaged us. Our bread and butter - hymns, classical, choral music such as Faure's Requiem or Handel's Messiah. Monk-like chanting in the midst of Abbey ruins all the way to the more contemporary/popular music be it covers or his own compositions.

I can't say I envied his task of 'spicing up' practicing the likes of "Hymn 192" over the years. An in-joke if you will. I'm sure almost every St Philips choirboy could name this without hesitation as "Praise My Soul the King of Heaven" haha.

He brought joy to the lives of those he taught to sing and those who listened to us sing.
He will be sorely missed though he left a great legacy in the current crop of singers and those who now educate them.
Very nice words. Robert clearly made a huge impression on the boys who joined his choir. Sort of like a real life Mr Chips.

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Well today's Songs of Praise 60th anniversary special did reference RP's passing with a still shot at the end of the program but why they couldn't show Aled Jones mentioning him during the program and the audience appreciation is beyond the realms of my understanding. Not the first time I've been left frustrated with SoP's editing.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:37 pm">2 years ago</span> A Tribute from Angel Voices Singer David Barlow:
[…]

[…]
A touching and telling tribute.
Still so strange to think he’s gone…
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It’s lovely reading all the tributes for him. He was obviously very highly respected and a lovely man to boot. The world has lost a great talent and a wonderful man X
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:26 am">2 years ago</span> https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... t-prizeman
Well written obituary - short though it may be.
Music beyond the church repertoire was introduced, with early concerts (or “Choirsturbances”) and the irreverent but factually based “Choirboys — The Full Story”, telling the tale of “Roger” or “Tyrone”, the press-ganged chorister, and including Mr Mudd of Lincoln Cathedral swigging from a bottle of Gordon’s gin, which “brought the house — and our reputation — down on many occasions”.
Does anyone have any idea what this is referring to? Choirsturbances? That movie which from descriptions online has nothing to do with choirs at all? I tried googling about these things, but found nothing so maybe someone can shed some light.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:20 pm">2 years ago</span>
Does anyone have any idea what this is referring to? Choirsturbances? That movie which from descriptions online has nothing to do with choirs at all? I tried googling about these things, but found nothing so maybe someone can shed some light.
Found this:
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.29.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.29.00 AM.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 4018 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.29.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 10.29.00 AM.png (2.01 MiB) Viewed 4018 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks! This at least clarifies some of those references. I thought maybe they were talking about some well-known cultural phenomenon from the 1970's time period.... but obviously not :lol:
Cainmac

Post by Cainmac »

Luca tribute posted one week ago on You Tube. RP mention in the beginning and memorial at the end.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Josh Madine posted this tribute video to Robert "To the Dreamless Bed" today on YouTube. It's a song without words, but accompanied by very beautiful, heartfelt words below in the video description, which allow a deeper insight in what Robert meant for him and for all the Libera boys and which confirmed again - not that anyone would be surprised - our impressions of Robert from the outside. A very warming read!

"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Here's the full wording to the above:

"Last month I heard the awful news that my dear friend, mentor and colleague, Robert Prizeman, had passed away. I’m still coming to terms with this immense loss which is why it’s taken to so long to put these words together.

When I first started writing music, I naively tried to compose a piece for full orchestra without really knowing what I was doing. I sent it to Rob and by the next rehearsal he had printed it out in A3 and marked it up as if it were a serious piece of work requiring proper appraisal. He gently suggested that I might set my sights a little lower for the next piece without making me feel at all embarrassed. From then on, he was the greatest source of encouragement and gladly offered feedback on everything else I wrote. Often, he would send me home with orchestral scores and recordings that he thought I should know and took many of us to concerts to hear his lasting favourites: Holst, Vaughan Williams, Elgar and Britten. He even bought me a student version of Logic to encourage me to start producing.

All of this was far beyond the remit of any normal choirmaster but I’m no special case; Rob cared deeply about every boy who had the privilege of singing under him and went to great lengths to create opportunities to help all of us nurture our talents, whether musical or otherwise. Witnessing his formidable skill at the keyboard inspired me to take up the piano and my output now is quite clearly and proudly steeped in his musical sensibilities. Rob was the most talented and hardest working musician I have ever met, and the global reach of Libera – his life’s work since taking over age 18 – is a testament to that, but he would always instantly deflect any praise or attention, preferring to let anyone else take the limelight. I’ll forever miss his humble brilliance, his wicked sense of humour and the endless kindness he showed me.

It was an honour to have known you, Rob. Thank you for sharing with me your love of music. I have no idea what I’d be doing otherwise. Let’s hope the heavenly choir is up to scratch – if not, I’m sure you’ll set them right. I wrote this for you."
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Perhaps Josh will compose something for Libera in the near future. If he did, I wonder if it would resemble the music he's already premiered, or if he would do something quite different.
LordG

Post by LordG »

St Philip's Church, Norbury
2 Std. ·
From the November edition of our Parish Magazine:
"ROBERT PRIZEMAN, RIP
With great sadness the news of the death of Robert on 8th September 2021 was broken on the website of his beloved Libera. Robert died peacefully having been ill for some time. He had been organist and choirmaster here at St Philip's for over 50 years since the age of 18. He is greatly missed by parishioners, clergy and choristers in the wide family of St Philips - but we will be comforted by the wonderful musical legacy he has left and our memories of the amazingly modest, extraordinarily talented friend that he was.
Robert's funeral was a private, family one but there will be a memorial event in the spring of 2022 to celebrate his life."

https://www.facebook.com/stphilipsnorbu ... 9858946824
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D