A fan from the Philippines... and here's my story :)

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

archizzly

A fan from the Philippines... and here's my story :)

Post by archizzly »

I first came across Libera back in 2008 while I was doing a coding assignment. I was a College Freshmen that time.
I was looking for a calm distraction for my rather stressful week. The first Libera videos that I watched was "Orinoco Flow" and "Sanctus". I was overtaken by warm calming vibe while listening to their music that's why I became hooked.

From then on, I became a silent fan. whenever I have extra money, I would save it up to buy their CDs. I still have their Eternal, Christmas, and Peace Albums. I also attempted to attend their concerts here in the Philippines but no matter how hard I tried to save, I still could not afford the concert tickets. I was a struggling college student then (our family still coping with my mom's death, both emotionally and financially, while I am stuck in a college course I didn't really like)

Eventually, I became curious why at such young ages, Libera is already excelling in what they do. This led me to watch a video special on Youtube titled "Libera Songs of Praise". After watching the video, something awaken in me. A spark.

Being a church musician since I was young, music is not a stranger to me. I was so inspired by Robert Prizeman and how he trains the kids. I suddenly wanted to pursue music to teach it to the kids. For the first time in my life, I have a purpose.

With my heart full of uncertainties, I quit my first college course to pursue Music Education. It was not an easy journey. There are many instances where I doubted my abilities (especially during solfege classes and voice classes where my repertoire is Italian Anthology). I also doubted my decision maybe I made a mistake. But against all odds, I held on to that spark started by Libera. I graduated in 2014.

I passed my Teacher's Licensure Exam and became a Professional Music Teacher. from 2014 to pre-pandemic days, I became busy building my career, teaching kids music and inspiring them to love it. I have formed a few school based children's choirs and I also formed and arranged for school based rock bands. As of the moment I am in partnership with an orphanage to teach the kids there how to play instruments. I raised funds for them to be able to buy their own Violins and Recorders, depending on the lockdown policies (lockdown policies here in the Philippines is quite a mess :D ) I go there once a week to teach.

I am now an Assistant Administrator of a small private school while I am preparing (still taking my Master's) to build my own music school.

Thank you Libera especially Mr. Robert Prizeman for inspiring me to pursue my call. It all started with a spark that you have awaken in me. I consider you my hero/mentor even though we don't know each other personally. Hopefully, when conditions are favorable, I would love to see Libera perform live. You guys are my heroes.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA!
GlennJalmas

Re: A fan from the Philippines... and here's my story :)

Post by GlennJalmas »

I'm from the Philippines too🇵🇭. It's truly remarkable how your success story began,from ups and down towards victory. Thanks for sharing🙂.

Libera had been a huge part of my life as well,having known them since 2011 in Showtime. Their celestial and angelic voices not only brought music but also hope and inspiration.

Best regards.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Libera has inspired fans in all sorts of ways. Emotionally, musically, and spiritually. I believe we have heard nearly every story about how much this choir has affected us. In my case, they inspired me to explore the entire genre of choral music I would not have otherwise discovered. Not to mention the profound effect the music itself has had on me over many years.

With that said, I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone changing their career path as a direct result of Libera. :shock:

We have had a few musicians, and even music teachers, at this forum be inspired by Libera and the work that Robert has done. Libera shows us what is possible! But we have never had someone who has solely changed the trajectory of their life because of this choir. Reading your descriptions of your work it sounds like this trajectory change was the correct one for you and that you are really enjoying what you do. Not only enjoying what you do but really making a difference by doing things like teaching music to orphan children! This is truly remarkable work.

I hope that you are able to see Libera the next time they come to the Philippines. I'm certain that by that point something good will happen and you will be able to attend. If you stick around here at the forum you may even find kindhearted individuals who would be willing to assist you with attending the concert. Libera fans are some of the most generous and kind individuals I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I have seen fans help one another with transportation, accommodations, and ticketing. I'm sure that if you stick around, and we get to know you, that someone would help you to make things happen. You've been a fan far too long, and the choir has affected you far too much, for you to go another Philippines tour without seeing them at least once!

Welcome to Libera Dreams! :D
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

That is quite a wonderful tale you shared with us ! Welcome here, and congratulations for the spiritual musical journey you had. Have you share this story with Libera, like on social networks ? I am sure they would be moved to know how their impact can be... extensive ! And I mean the impact Libera had on you but also, somehow, on the kids that are now discovering music through you and thanks to you.
I might be a bit emotional these days but it makes me think music really does change the world for the better.
archizzly

Post by archizzly »

Thanks for the welcome and kind words!
as my time would permit me (as a teacher/asst. administrator, online classes is quite stressful and requires a lot of preparations) I would love to share some of my initiatives and activities in the field of music education all of which is greatly influenced by the way Mr. Prizeman trained and handled Libera.

I know that He is quite old now. And I really hope he is still with Libera and still healthy. I registered in this forum just to show my appreciation for his work in Libera and how he greatly influenced my life as a Music Educator in a country where music education is not of great importance.

Thank you all! I promise to keep in touch from time to time :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Archizzly

What an amazing story. I've heard some nice and positive things attributed to Libera over the years but your story is incredible. I'm not sure Mr Prizeman would appreciate being called "quiet old" though! I hope you stick around on the forum and help us when we have musical questions and I hope you get to a concert of theirs sometime soon.

*My traditional forum welcome awaits:

[bbvideo][/bbvideo]

*old gentleman references completely coincidental :wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

​Wow, archizzly, that's a splendid story, even just reading it ​conveys a pleasant feeling. :) Congratulations on what you have achieved so far and the best of luck for your future!

I think that it's not too unusual for many people to have a sort of key experience which defines their further life's way. However, to have Libera/Robert as the one is unique and ​simply wonderful and it will be extremely rewarding, for the children you teach and for yourself.

archizzly wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:32 pm">2 years ago</span>As of the moment I am in partnership with an orphanage to teach the kids there how to play instruments. I raised funds for them to be able to buy their own Violins and Recorders, depending on the lockdown policies (lockdown policies here in the Philippines is quite a mess ) I go there once a week to teach.
I loved reading this, as I know how happy you can make children are when you make music with them, but what an especially fine idea to provide this to orphaned children. This touched my heart.

Welcome to the forum and read you here soon again! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"