New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: New Album "If" (Oct 2021 release)

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The Japanese branch Libera Records publishes a visual of the various goodies that will be given to the 1st buyers of the Japanese version of the IF CD.
20211012_101554.jpg
20211012_101554.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
20211012_101554.jpg
20211012_101554.jpg (250.47 KiB) Viewed 5064 times
We can see:
- from Amazon.jp : the large cover 25*25 cm
- from Tsutaya : the stickers
- from Rakuten : the B3 calendar poster
- from Yamano : the clear file
- from HMV : the diary with the St John SS concert cover
- from Tower Records: a pen (or the 3 ?)
- from a list of other shops: the diary with the IF album cover.

More infos (in Japanese) on the updated discography page:
https://libera-records.com/discography/libe-0013/
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I can’t wait to hear the new album. We have been so blessed with this bunch of boys and to get to hear some of them for possibly the last time is going to be a treat :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

For me Nunc Dimittis and Nearer my God are the highlights of the album! Dominik in Cum Dederit is a monster, and Vespera, well, I want to hear it live! And finally, Neo has a proper solo in Deep Peace, I'm so happy he had this last opportunity. This could also be the last album featuring Dominik as a soloist, let's hope there is the chance for him to record something new because his voice is a gem. Thank God Luca is only 11 :lol:
The heaven soars with voices above...
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Difficult to indicate a favorite song, each one becomes the favourite as I listen to them.
The whole album is fantastic!
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

Regarding " O Lord support us ", these are the lirycs on the Libera site "O Lord, support us all the day long of this troublous life
until the shades lengthen and the evening comes" but to I hear "until the shadows lengthen". Am I the only one?
The heaven soars with voices above...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 pm">2 years ago</span> Regarding " O Lord support us ", these are the lirycs on the Libera site "O Lord, support us all the day long of this troublous life
until the shades lengthen and the evening comes" but to I hear "until the shadows lengthen". Am I the only one?
I agree. And shades lengthen doesn't really work in context does it. Must be a typo
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

The album is on solid footing with a fine mix of songs - some old, some new - which would appeal to current and future fans. Aside from the songs pre-released prior to today, "Cum Dederit", "Nearer My God", and "Lux Aeterna" have affected me the most so far.

"Cum Dederit" for the amazing job done by Dominik on this baroque piece and for the arrangement which lets the song really shine. A unique and really cool piece which I will be playing a lot!

Although it is not acapella as it was in concerts, the Libera arrangement of "Nearer My God" is somehow intimate and touching in some inexplicable way; affecting me deeply.

"Lux Aeterna" - WOW! Between the quasi-plainchant intro and outro, the deeper voices, and that classic new age Libera style that set the choir apart back in the 1990's, this song does not fail to impress. You can point to this song as a good representative of Libera's unique style. The particular arrangement/recording on this album has improved a song I thought incapable of improvement. Bravo!

Of course as I have been waiting for a new "Vespera" for so long, I would be remiss to disregard it now as it's done exceptionally well with a new descant soloist Daniel Catalogna. Luca's voice shines brilliantly throughout - reminding me exactly why this song is one of my all-time Libera favorites since my discovering of the choir all the way back in 2004!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I'm writing with my eyes closed here to make sure to not prematurely get any notice about album comments. :lol: My CD is "out for delivery" since three hours and so I'm gladly expecting it for today and can listen to the CD with reading the booklet instead of fleeing to Spotify. What a difference to my "Hope" waiting drama in 2017. :shock: :D

Some last quick reflections before the listen:
:mrgreen:

The teasers had me guess that O Lord, Support Us could make it to my two favourites (If most likely being the other one). Let's see now if it's as interesting as the snippet - as short as it was - promised. That's definitely the song I'm eager to listen to the most!

Still a little scared of Vespera. The first version of the "Luminosa" is so perfect in every regard and means so much to me in a personal way that I can't imagine how changing or modernising or whatever was done with the song can maintain this feeling. I will see and of course it will have its fair chance. :?

I am also scared of Once an Angel, for comprehensible reasons.

Longing to listen focused to the entire If. The teaser left no doubt that it will be deeply beautiful and it's just such a soulful song.

Also Nunc dimittis and above all Lux Aeterna, an ever favourite of mine, have me so-so curious, not scared like Vespera, just curious.

Cum Dederit's teaser had me feel the interpretation to be rather mysterious. Will this prove true after the complete listen ...?

And finally, I'm just totally excited to have the songs all together to listen to now, as the combination (compilation? set?) of tracks with its wide range in style, mood, tempo on this album is phenomenal!

:D :) :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I’m going to take a different approach with this ‘review’, apologies if it is a little indulgent or melancholy but I’ve had more than a few tears whilst listening and I can’t remember ever being so conflicted by the release of a new album. It has always previously been such an exciting and fun time but this album feels….bitter sweet. it is of course excellent in its production and performance. The soloists are breath taking but at every track I can’t help but look for Robert’s deeper meaning. The last 18 months have been difficult for us all; in terms of Libera it means that a very fine crop of performers have not been able to share their talent with us and perhaps their legacy will be captured in the performances left within.

But of course it is the loss of Robert that is the most painful to deal with and I very much hear the album as though it is his final message to us. Even the cover art, so striking and unfamiliar when we first saw it, conveys a meaning – passing from the darkness of this life to the light of the next. I don’t know if it is true, but I’d like to believe that Robert chose each track carefully and with purpose.

Once An Angel asks us to a remember a time long ago. Will the memory of Robert’s music fade away? How can it when it is so captivating and beautifully performed by Victor whose wonderful vocal pulls at our hearts.

Let Me Make Songs.
Am I reading too much into this? Let me make the songs for the people, our world so worn and weary needs music pure and strong. It could almost be autobiographical although the words are not Roberts. I thought it an odd choice when I first heard it sung but now it seems perfect for the occasion.

If. What a great song this is. So tender and thoughtful, Daniel’s performance is mesmerising. It wishes for a better world and surely we need it.

Cum Dederit. For he brings rest to those he has chosen. The dramatic Vivaldi score, Sam’s arrangement and Dominik’s laser precise phrasing on what has to be one of the finest vocals I’ve heard from a Libera member of any era. Stunningly beautiful and I’m sure Robert, as a Catholic, picked this piece very deliberately and he was fortunate enough to have Dominik available to record it and provide such drama and illumination to a piece that might in lesser hands be a little dark.

Total Praise. Robert’s prayer delivered impeccably by Daniel, Victor and Mathias. I was a little underwhelmed when I heard the initial broadcast but that was entirely down to a low quality broadcast stream and the interference of a supporting choir. To sing live to 1.7 million people must have made a huge impact on everybody connected to the choir. In a studio recording the choir just glows radiantly.

Ave Maria.
A song that is an often performed at funerals and Tadhg is sorrowfully sweet. I remember back to the 2020 St John’s concert where Tadhg performed this but Robert very sadly wasn’t there to hear it but I’m sure he will have seen the video performance and very much appreciated Tadhg’s performance.

Sing For Our World. This one comes crashing along and it is hard not to feel lifted by this bouncy song. I have to think it is deliberately placed here to lighten the mood but of course the lyrics also encapsulate everything that is Libera and that after all is Robert’s legacy – bringing people from all around the world together to enjoy and share his music.

Nearer My God To Thee. Of course in the theme of my interpretation of this album as Robert’s last gift to us, this needs no explanation. It is a song that I loved the first time I heard the group perform it a capella (was it Exeter in 2015?) and I asked in my reviews of the concert for a recording. I was delighted when I heard they had plans to release a live recording of a performance of it from their US Tour they uploaded it later on the the day that my father passed away and I like to think that it was a sign for me. So I’d like to thank Luca, Victor, Mathias, Dominik and Ben for such a beautiful rendition. It always makes me a little emotional listening to this one. I know others would pick Going Home for their funerals but I think I will want this one played at mine.

Vespera. An evening prayer. How long have we waited for this to be performed live? I know it has been a request that has been made on this forum many times. Is it wishful thinking to believe RP heard us and gifted this to us? Love the plainchant intro, Luca’s masterful vocal and the transcendent embellishment of Daniel Catalogna’s descant. I find this a calming almost meditative piece.

O Lord Support US. The prayer of Cardinal Newman. O lord support us all the day long of this troublous life. When we heard the clips of this some people were unsure but it immediately resonated with me and hearing the full piece I think it is wonderful with Dominik again delivering a quite special vocal. A glorious motet.

Sacris Solemnis. The Transubstantiation in song form. This has long been a wonderful piece at live concerts where it is usually embellished with terrific lighting. Frederick gets to take his bow on this fan favourite and he doesn’t disappoint. Another cracker.

Deep Peace. Notable for Neo getting his chance to solo on the Rutter composition along with Luca, the pair deliver nicely on this floaty and tranquil song. I can’t say it is a favourite of mine but that has nothing to do with the singing. Another song that gets chosen often to provide comfort at a loved ones funeral.

Nunc Dimittis. Lord now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace. How could this not be on Robert’s parting gift to us? Tadhg and Dominik bring tears to my eyes with this one. One of the finest performances of this canticle I think I have ever heard.

Home. It could have been Going Home but obviously something in the lyrics appealed to Robert to put this on his final album. I’ll leave you to read the lyrics as you listen to the song and then you will see its meaning. Luca features heavily on this album and he doesn’t ever miss a beat.

Lux Aeterna. May the angels lead thee into paradise; may light eternal shine upon them, O Lord. Lyrics are taken from the Mass for the Deceased. This is the only song that could finish Robert’s life’s work and how fitting that it is perhaps the standout track on the album. Oliver W-R take a bow, I can’t think of a better voice than his to finish this perfect album with. Very special, and I’m wiping a few tears away as I type this.

I’m going to finish not with my words but of those of a good friend of mine after she listened to the album for the first time. I hope she forgives me for posting this here but she expressed my feelings about the album so much better than I ever could:

“I listened to the album and wept. This is without doubt his Valedictory to us all and from a man who knew he was dying for a long time. It is written into every single word and note and it is beautiful. I don’t feel it is an album in the usual sense which can be critiqued but simply accepted exactly for what it is – RP’s perfect farewell”.

Amen.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, Yorkie, for your very moving review, thank you for sharing these most personal thoughts and also for your corresponding reply to me on Twitter yesterday! Me too, I agree with you in very many points and how else could it be?!
The way you expressed yourself was, even though initiated by such a sad reason, a deeply enjoyable read that has moved me indeed with some tears here and there as well. :cry: Also your friend's words hit the nail on the head. They put in plain words what I've been feeling for a while now too.

Yesterday I received my album and it was just love at first listen. The music is wonderful and it has so many facets, obvious and subtle ones. While a life was fading away on the one hand, there evolved to life an incredibly strong new album on the other hand: strong in songs, strong in performance, strong in sound and strong in statement. It is moving to tears as well as inspiring.

I can only hope that Robert was granted a physical and mental condition still good enough to listen to the result of the recordings and, most of all: to be content and enjoy this feeling.

There are many thoughts in my mind. For now, I just lose one word about Vespera after my complaint of being scared: This was in no way justified. I am completely carried away by the new version! Robert accomplished the feat to distinctly enhance the original Vespera, but maintaining the atmosphere it always had for me, and so I can continue with the same feelings as before which are so important for me. It felt so good all around yesterday during the listen to this song and suddenly I caught myself smiling ... I am so grateful!
I had been wondering for a while about the replacement of a whole tone during the chant by a semi-tone. As this cannot happen unintentionally, I interpret this as a subtle signal from Robert, too. It affects the word clementia - mercy.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Very nice comments to all above, and naturally most of them are indicative of my feelings to the new album. I'm sure there will be a reflective moment during December's concert which will nod in the direction of Libera's maestro however subtle that may be.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:03 pm">2 years ago</span> I’m going to take a different approach with this ‘review’, apologies if it is a little indulgent or melancholy but I’ve had more than a few tears whilst listening and I can’t remember ever being so conflicted by the release of a new album. It has always previously been such an exciting and fun time but this album feels….bitter sweet. it is of course excellent in its production and performance. The soloists are breath taking but at every track I can’t help but look for Robert’s deeper meaning. The last 18 months have been difficult for us all; in terms of Libera it means that a very fine crop of performers have not been able to share their talent with us and perhaps their legacy will be captured in the performances left within.

But of course it is the loss of Robert that is the most painful to deal with and I very much hear the album as though it is his final message to us. Even the cover art, so striking and unfamiliar when we first saw it, conveys a meaning – passing from the darkness of this life to the light of the next. I don’t know if it is true, but I’d like to believe that Robert chose each track carefully and with purpose.
Your review moved me and though I read it yesterday I needed time to gather my thoughts.....and even then I couldn't find anything to add to your commentaries. This album and its melancholy is shared by all of us to one extent or another I think - seeing as it was Robert's last. I don't have anything quite as eloquent to add on the subject as you did it so beautifully. All I wish to say, and wish others to know, is that many of us feel the same way and understand.

Thank you.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Classic FM features If for their Album of the Week.

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm">2 years ago</span> Classic FM features If for their Album of the Week.

It starts at about 1:21:25 if you want to fast forward - Nunc Dimitis

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Also being featured on Mark Forrest's program https://planetradio.co.uk/scala-radio/player/182090577/ for Scala Radio

Today was 'Sacris solemnis' Starts at 1:52:20

He mentioned Robert's passing and that he will be interviewing Sam Coates on Friday's show.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez